Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2017, 06:11 AM   #1

Thinking about the upcoming 50mm 1.4 DFA*

It's not released yet, but I'm already thinking this lens will be an exciting compliment to my existing collection of lenses for the K1.

I'm especially interested in it's possibilities for low-light photography, particularly events, concerts etc where the lighting is normally pretty naff and f2.8 on the zooms is a little slow. The 50mm frame is a fairly good focal length for concerts when you're up front. Currently I use my 31mm 1.8 ltd, but the screw drive focus isn't fantastic in moving scenes. I'm hoping the autofocus on the new 50mm works as well as the 70-200mm DFA*, which I'd say is the best performer in terms of focusing speed.

Anyhow, does anyone have any thoughts about the upcoming new release? What will it be best for shooting? Any guess on the price tag (sub $1000?) What will be your considerations to buy or not?

08-15-2017, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Anyhow, does anyone have any thoughts about the upcoming new release? What will it be best for shooting? Any guess on the price tag (sub $1000?) What will be your considerations to buy or not?
i'm sure it will be a top lens, as it has the * designation. Quickshift, WR, fast silent AF, lots of optical correction, high sharpness...
The price will probably be just above the Sigma 50mm art, but below the Zeiss 50mm lenses. For me, the price and lens size are a bit big. But I'm sure this will be a stunning lens for pros, studio photographers, low light photographers.. maybe even some travel photographers, if they can handle the size. I would probably be quite satisfied with the DA* 55mm f1.4 myself, especially considering even the M 50mm f1.7 gave me pretty decent results
Definitely an exciting lens! Can't wait to see sample photos
08-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ditto - hoping for fast AF, great wide open IQ. Figure it will be expensive though - thinking around $1000, but I say this with no basis other than a total guess from looking at what the most expensive "similar" lenses from Nikon and Canon cost. Hoping it is released soon though. Suffering from a bad case of LBA - palms sweating - shaking - must buy glass

---------- Post added 08-15-17 at 09:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
. I would probably be quite satisfied with the DA* 55mm f1.4 myself, especially considering even the M 50mm f1.7 gave me pretty decent results
Definitely an exciting lens! Can't wait to see sample photos
I've looked at the DA* 55 many times myself thinking perhaps the same thing - looks like a great lens in a smaller package. If I can't afford the new DFA 50, the DA*55 is going to be my backup purchase.

Meanwhile, have great fun with my CZJ 2/58 and find my A50/1.4 to be a very nice lens too.
08-15-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/340781-dfa-50-1-4-coming.html

08-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
I'd guess that if all you're going to contribute is a link, you'd want to make sure that the link works.
08-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DFA*50 1.4 coming - PentaxForums.com

Last I heard it will be in the 1500 dollar range. For me I'll likely get the DA* 55 instead if I need one that fast in that range.
08-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
UMC

I'd guess that if all you're going to contribute is a link, you'd want to make sure that the link works.
The link works if you paste it and manually add a "l" in the end....

08-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A premium 50mm lens is long overdue IMO- I'm sure a lot of users will enjoy it, especially those who shoot a lot of portraits. It would be the perfect companion to the upcoming D FA* 85mm for that purpose.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
DFA*50 1.4 coming - PentaxForums.com

Last I heard it will be in the 1500 dollar range. For me I'll likely get the DA* 55 instead if I need one that fast in that range.

If that $1500 range came from the same person I'm thinking of it was based on absolutely nothing. Person just likes to post pictures of mockups and stir rumors.
08-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I just think it needs to firm up reasonably quick, lest rumors about demise get greatly exaggerated...
08-15-2017, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Ricoh should take as much time and do as much testing as possible before release. This thing (a high end FF lens) will cost so much it will be something potential buyers deliberate about and save up/sell something else for, it won't be an impulse purchase.

08-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #12

I'm really hoping its price is in the 50mm Sigma Art range ($900-1k) and the image quality is comparable. Maybe $1100 is ok. If the rumors of $1500 price tag are true, I'll probably have to pass. Pentax would be shooting themselves in the foot with a price like that. I might hold off on further purchases and just save for another camera system (D850 or A7RIII) . I already have the 15-30 f/2.8 and 24-70 f/2.8 zooms as well as the 35mm f/1.4 sigma art prime (so I've already spent of money supporting K-mount lenses). I'd be ok with that being my K-1 lens kit.
08-16-2017, 02:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been using the DA*55 on the K-1 for low light event shooting for over a year now. It's fantastic, but not perfect. Focus is not particularly fast, and there is some minor vignetting in certain situations.

If the new DFA*50 can perform significantly better in both of those departments, I'll give it some serious thought. The size, weight and cost will obviously be part of the equation as well.

As an aside, does anyone think it will be possible with a 67mm filter diameter, or will it be another 77mm behemoth like the Sigma? The A50/1.2, DA*55/1.4 and FA*85/1.4 come in at 52, 58 and 67mm respectively; can it really be that hard?
08-16-2017, 04:09 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, to get more performance you can put more glass in or cook the RAW file. Pentax said in an interview they'd rather not rely on profile corrections like some of the other companies.

08-16-2017, 05:09 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in the "get it right" camp. So far, Pentax seems to be doing a nice job of making sure they put out some high quality FF lenses, and to blow their 50mm rushing it would be a mistake. Also have to think that there could be some shared R&D e.g. would the AF mechanism in the 50 be similar to the upcoming 85? Thought being there might be some more engineering going on beyond just this one application. Also have to wonder about release timing and market sales. I have to think August is the doldrums of retail with end of summer vacations and back to school looming etc. Are people really making these type of purchases? From a market sales perspective, is it better to release in the fall when someone notices outside of your captive Pentax nut job market?