Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The DA 18-55 kit lens works from approx. 24mm to 55mm. A K-1 with a DA-L 18-55 WR would be a pretty interesting package for city walk-about.

08-18-2017, 12:33 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, the DA 55-300 vignettes, but well beyond the APS-C circle. Only minor cropping is required. The 1x1 crop mode works particularly well with this lens.

---------- Post added 18-08-17 at 07:46 AM ----------

More DFA 15-30 shots. Very handy when travelling, despite its size.
Nice shots with 15-30..about that 55-300. I have that lens too, and It can be used with K-1, but If you really look at that vingetted area, even after corrections(sometimes beound that) there is nasty distortion at corners. Pincushion at 200 mm. really hard to correct. So Crop, or vingette more is actually option, IF you want whole frame to be used...too much pixel peeping, I admit.
08-18-2017, 04:00 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any lens can be used on the K-1.
It's just that some of them need cropping, which means they are crop lenses - by definition
08-18-2017, 04:11 AM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Any lens can be used on the K-1.
It's just that some of them need cropping, which means they are crop lenses - by definition
very good point

" Pentax K-1 Review
Available Lenses
The Pentax K-1 is compatible with every Pentax K-mount lens ever made without the need for an adapter, and with little or no restrictions in terms of functionality: this includes over 204 genuine full-frame lenses in addition to thousands of third-party offerings. Furthermore, you can adapt M42, M37, 645, and 6x7 lenses. Refer to our lens compatibility guide for further details, or seek advice in the lens forum. . . . "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-1-review/available-lenses.html#ixzz4q6Wz1vxR

08-18-2017, 05:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Has anyone used Nisi , Lee or Haida 150 system filter with this?
08-18-2017, 06:17 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_WA Quote
I use a Benro system which does the job pretty well and is quite well priced. I only use the holder though as I use Lee filters.
08-18-2017, 06:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
I use a Benro system which does the job pretty well and is quite well priced. I only use the holder though as I use Lee filters.
How do you feel about the filter size for this lens? easy to bring them with you on a hike/travel? cleaning?

08-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #38

Photos: Gallery
How do you feel about the filter size for this lens? easy to bring them with you on a hike/travel? cleaning?
They are kind of a pain but I put up with them because filters are necessary for landscape photography and I love the lens. The thread is ostensibly about a lens for use for 'travel' but I'm someone who's 'travel' kit is not very light. I value quality over lightness and figure if I can get it into a backpack and walk around an airport with it on my back for an hour without too much discomfit then its fine (then again I am reasonably strong 190cm tall guy - others may struggle). My main camera is a 645z with 28-45. When I want a wider field of view I use K1 and 15-30. When I want a longer field of view I have a Pentax 70-200 f2.8. Those three lenses and 2 bodies is the 'travel' kit I will be using for 3 weeks in NZ at the end of the year and will come on the plane wth me. My 645 55mm and my 24-70 f2.8 will go into checked baggage. Really for family holiday snaps these days my phone is good enough for most things, but for my serious photos I want my serious camera.

FYI I have a gura gear kiboko pack and I have the 645/28-45 with filter holder attached on one side, the K1/15-30 with filter holder attached on the other along with the 70-200. The 150-170 flters themselves actually fit in the front pocket. Honestly if I wanted a really lightweight landscape kit for a long hike I would just take the K1/15-30 with filters and leave everything else behind and it would weigh nothing in a backpack.

BTW I have a review of the Benro system on my website.
08-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Using a Fotodiox Wonderpana 66 with it. Gives me multi-coated threaded CPL and a variety of threaded ND filters, and it also has a frame to take standard 6.6" filters with many brands available to fit.

Yes, very expensive, but felt like I was in so deep on money already, and not to be able to do some of the things you can with water and sky etc. with a CPL or graduated ND on that lens made me decide to bite. The 30 day return to B&H came and went with no regret. How you buy the pieces can make a big difference in overall price. The combo of circular and square mounts and lens cap (about $122) and then multicoated CPL and ND(s) as needed might be the best way to go.

Last edited by clickclick; 08-18-2017 at 05:39 PM.
08-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #40
Veteran Member

People are sharing fantastic images here) I'm very tempted by 15-30 but right now can't justify the cost, hopefully next year I'll get one. For now I've been using my 28-105 a lot, and Rokinon 14 for Uwa shots. Pretty manageable kit weight wise. I've recently bought tokina 20-35 but unfortunately it was a decentered copy which bummed me out, had to return it. If you get a good copy, sharpness was quite good at around f8, and build quality is great for such a cheap lens (around $100).
08-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Using a Fotodiox Wonderpana 66 with it. Gives me multi-coated threaded CPL and a variety of threaded ND filters, and it also has a frame to take standard 6.6" filters with many brands available to fit.

Yes, very expensive, but felt like I was in so deep on money already, and not to be able to do some of the things you can with water and sky etc. with a CPL or graduated ND on that lens made me decide to bite. The 30 day return to B&H came and went with no regret. How you buy the pieces can make a big difference in overall price. The combo of circular and square mounts and lens cap (about $122) and then multicoated CPL and ND(s) as needed might be the best way to go.
Do they offer graduated neutral density filter like this ? https://www.amazon.com/NiSi-150X170mm-Graduated-compatible-Singh-Ray/dp/B016...ted+filter+150

---------- Post added 08-19-17 at 07:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote

I noticed their filters are round . what about this type of filter? do they offer circular filter such as graduated neutral density?
https://www.amazon.com/NiSi-150X170mm-Graduated-compatible-Singh-Ray/dp/B016...ted+filter+150
08-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do they offer graduated neutral density filter like this ? https://www.amazon.com/NiSi-150X170mm-Graduated-compatible-Singh-Ray/dp/B016...ted+filter+150

---------- Post added 08-19-17 at 07:23 AM ----------

I noticed their filters are round . what about this type of filter? do they offer circular filter such as graduated neutral density?
https://www.amazon.com/NiSi-150X170mm-Graduated-compatible-Singh-Ray/dp/B016...ted+filter+150

Yes, they offer some hard and soft edge ND filters that are rectangular plus colored ones - the searches at B&H for this seem a bit hit or miss, but check this:

fotodiox 6.6 filter -kit | B&H Photo Video

and then round ones

Solid Neutral Density Filters | B&H Photo Video

Also, you can use a round one mounted filter and the frame for square filters at the same time, so you could stack a rectangular or square graduated ND over a solid round ND

And since it is a 6.6" frame, you can use anyone's of that dimension - few more links at B&H:

Graduated Neutral Density Filters | B&H Photo Video

I can post some pictures of the filter assembly etc. mounted on the lens if you like.
08-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #43

I am using a Pentax K-1 and 15-30mm combo, it is really drmantic lens and have very good quality. Each time when I take this gigantic lens out, I feel so special. It is heavy, but carry it with 24-70, 43, 50, 77, 55-300 and a heavy duty tripod for four hours hiking in the mountain area, I didn’t feel that much ( I am 5’ 5” tall and about 125 lb). However you have to protect it really well, I don’t recommend to have this lens on the camera body and put them in the leropro f350 backpack when you do some serious rough hiking. My two metal-lens-mount-rings on k-1 and 15-30 were found bended when I took them out from my backpack after slipping over on the rocks during this hiking. Right now I need find a way to repair them all.
09-07-2017, 10:00 PM - 4 Likes   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, tested 15-30, heavy, but great.
09-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ok, tested 15-30, heavy, but great.
Well, that's the deal we make.