Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2017, 06:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

flange distance & image quality question -- using lenses on different cameras

Just curious as to whether there are any image quality differences in using a lens on different camera systems (other than from inherent camera/sensor differences) and if so how great they might be and if that should influence buying decisions.

In considering a lighter backup camera, possibly Sony FE/E-mount or Fuji mount, if I know I am going to use a specific lens more on the E-mount/Fuji mount than with my K-1 would the FE-mount version of the lens have any significantly better image quality on that system than if I bought it for the K-mount and then adapted it to the second mount. In reading through Fenwoodian's excellent threads detailing tests of adapted Nikon Zeiss lenses and some of the other wonderful threads adopting legacy lenses it would seem that the answer would be that it is an insignificant difference -- but I recognize that Nikon's mount and the m42 mounts are very close in flange distance to the K-mount. If I had my druthers I would just as soon by K-mount and put off the backup system decision until I've properly saved for it but I was curious to here other's thoughts on this.

08-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming equivalent sensor size, and the adapted lens has the proper flange distance (without corrective glass), any difference in quality would be due to the sensor itself.
08-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i think your best bet for "a lighter backup camera" would be a Pentax and forget about adaptors. You realize you will loose auto focus with adaptors, right?
08-17-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you consider a lighter backup camera, forget about adapters. Adapting lenses adds bulk and weight so the main point vanishes. If you want something notably smaller and lighter, you must choose between going all in for a new system with the same sensor size and small prime lenses or forget about getting similar image quality. Personally I concluded that I will miss the optical viewfinder too much and that a second Pentax DSLR is a good backup. Size and weight is countered by choosing primes in stead of zooms. One advantage of having the same lens mount on my primary and backup camera is that I have a second lens available without spending valuable seconds on changing lenses. Changing camera is faster.

Currently I have a K-5 and a K-x, but the K-x will be degraded to a doughter cam, and K-5 to a backup camera, when I buy the K-1. I just spendt my savings elsewhere so I have to save some more first.

08-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
i think your best bet for "a lighter backup camera" would be a Pentax and forget about adaptors.

I agree and if Pentax releases a body with AF that rivals the D500 I definitely will, but that doesn't seem like it is going to be happening anytime soon and is an entirely different topic ...

Yes, I was thinking mainly of manual focus lenses. There aren't any adapters that allow aperture control of dfa lenses on other cameras that I know of or can someone recommend one I may have overlooked?