Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which pancake? 40/2.8 M versus DA

I am really getting interested in adding a pancake 40/2.8 to my arsenal.

On film, 40mm is a favourite focal length of mine. On digital 60mm-equivalent would be a handy near-normal length.

Of course I am attracted by the small size and convenience of such a miniature prime.

Because I shoot film and digital, I really want a pancake that will work nicely for both. The autofocus of the DA is appealing, the lack of aperture ring less so. But neither of those are a dealbreaker.

I am concerned about softness on full frame film. I have been looking at the sample shots from Boris Liberman http://boris.isra-shop.com/da_lim_on_film/DA40_028.jpg and am concerned by the corner softness.

My question is -- does the 40/2.8 M actually perform any better? Or does it also have soft corners? Is there any image quality issues one way or the other?

Tell me your opinions. DA or M?

08-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

check the lens review on this forum, but the DA Limited is excellent but most people do not like the M40 and it seems to be more of a collector's item rather than anything else
08-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've owned the M 40mm and currently have the DA 40mm. Both are decent lenses, although I think the DA 40 shows slightly better contrast on digital which I would attribute to the lens coating. You can see actual side by side image comparison of the 2 lenses here.

yˆ’B~ˆ‚ƒŒƒ“ƒY‚—~‚‚ƒb!zƒyƒ“ƒ^ƒbƒNƒX smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
08-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote

On film, 40mm is a favourite focal length of mine. On digital 60mm-equivalent would be a handy near-normal length.

Of course I am attracted by the small size and convenience of such a miniature prime.

Because I shoot film and digital, I really want a pancake that will work nicely for both. The autofocus of the DA is appealing, the lack of aperture ring less so. But neither of those are a dealbreaker.

I am concerned about softness on full frame film. I have been looking at the sample shots from Boris Liberman http://boris.isra-shop.com/da_lim_on_film/DA40_028.jpg and am concerned by the corner softness.

My question is -- does the 40/2.8 M actually perform any better? Or does it also have soft corners? Is there any image quality issues one way or the other?

Probably DA, unless you can find an M for really cheap. I've owned 2 M40mm lenses, and they quite surprised me. Their reputation is far different from their picture making ability.
They are a good lens in a field of very good to excellent lenses.
The DA40 is a very good lens.

08-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great link, creampuff. Those side by side examples were just what I wanted to see.

The DA images are what I expect from a Pentax lens -- nice contrast and colour rendition. The M images are good, just not fully Pentax.

The bokeh on both lenses is really nice, however. And I think the M lens would be a great choice for B&W.
08-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

You may want to take a look at the Voigtlander 40/f2 pancake.

BA229DPX Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2 SL-II Aspherical Compact Pancake Manual Focus Normal Lens for Pentax Film & Digital Cameras

It works on film and digital and it's a reasonable price. If you can live with manual focus it may be a winner.
08-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have no insight into which lens might perform better in image quality, except to parrot what others have said - some say they are the same optically, some say the DA is definitely superior, but hardly anyone ever claims the M is superior.

What I can add to the discussion is this: the DA version not only has AF, it has probably the *fastest* AF of any lens Pentax has ever made. That to me is one of its strongest features - one of the things that makes this lens an interesting choice over the FA35, DA35, or FA43. If you're considering giving that up and getting an M40 - which costs no less than the DA - I'd personally be considering one of the FA lenses instead.
08-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great link, creampuff. Those side by side examples were just what I wanted to see.

The DA images are what I expect from a Pentax lens -- nice contrast and colour rendition. The M images are good, just not fully Pentax.

The bokeh on both lenses is really nice, however. And I think the M lens would be a great choice for B&W.
You're welcome.
Unfortunately the M 40mm did not get a makeover to have the A setting on the aperture ring. One thing I noticed about the M lenses is that the colour rendition is a little cooler compared to the present lenses. But I think you can't go wrong with any one of them. The 40mm Voigtlander Ultron is also a good alternative if you want a faster lens.

08-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oooh, that Voigtlander looks nice. I didn't even know about it.

But it's a big price spread. I can get a DA40 for $260 Canadian.