Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
If a person wanted the Sigma Art 135 (or any other Nikon F mount lens) badly enough for their Pentax couldn't they buy one in Nikon mount and then buy a Leitax Nikon to Pentax K adapter which costs about $79? There would be some work involved to mount the adapter on the lens. Perhaps I'm missing something but it seems to me this would work.

Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras
How would you set the aperture or autofocus, Wanderer?

08-23-2017, 03:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If a person wanted the Sigma Art 135 (or any other Nikon F mount lens) badly enough for their Pentax couldn't they buy one in Nikon mount and then buy a Leitax Nikon to Pentax K adapter which costs about $79? There would be some work involved to mount the adapter on the lens. Perhaps I'm missing something but it seems to me this would work.

Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras
But the whole setting wouldn't work as it would with the native mount. Besides everyone wants autofocus now a days.
08-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

In searching further in the Leitax website I realize, no, their adapter wouldn't work to use a Nikon mount Sigma Art lens on a Pentax. The Nikkor lens has to be manual. I am interested in a Sigma Art lens or two as their quality is said to be superb in multiple reviews, so it's a disappointment. Sorry if I've wasted anyone's time on this fantasy.

The Leitax Nikon to Pentax adapter has been said to be particularly good on F mount Zeiss lenses. These are of course manual. I don't believe that everyone always wants autofocus, or at least it isn't an absolute requirement. There are significant numbers of us willing to use a manual lens if it meets our requirements otherwise. I have two among my 6 lenses for my K-1. But, all other things being equal I would prefer a full automatic lens. A Zeiss Milvus Nikon mount lens adapted to a Pentax with the Leitax adapter might be, for me, one of those exceptions however.
08-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

In searching further in the Leitax website I realize, no, their adapter wouldn't work to use a Nikon mount Sigma Art lens on a Pentax. The Nikkor lens has to be manual. I am interested in a Sigma Art lens or two as their quality is said to be superb in multiple reviews, so it's a disappointment. Sorry if I've wasted anyone's time on this fantasy.

The Leitax Nikon to Pentax adapter has been said to be particularly good on F mount Zeiss lenses. These are of course manual. I don't believe that everyone always wants autofocus, or at least it isn't an absolute requirement. There are significant numbers of us willing to use a manual lens if it meets our requirements otherwise. I have two among my 6 lenses for my K-1. But, all other things being equal I would prefer a full automatic lens. A Zeiss Milvus Nikon mount lens adapted to a Pentax with the Leitax adapter might be, for me, one of those exceptions however.
Well, the Zeisses have aperture rings, the Sigmas don't.

Not many Pentaxians were convinced by the Arts, but you can buy the 30 f1.4, 18-35 f1.8 and 35mm 1.4 if you would like to try. I have the latter.

08-24-2017, 03:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, the Zeisses have aperture rings, the Sigmas don't.

Not many Pentaxians were convinced by the Arts, but you can buy the 30 f1.4, 18-35 f1.8 and 35mm 1.4 if you would like to try. I have the latter.
I'm curious at to what many Pentaxians find lacking with the Arts. How would you assess yours? I wonder how the 35mm Art compares with a 35 mm Zeiss or the 31mm three amigo for landscapes. Thanks for any input.
08-24-2017, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm curious at to what many Pentaxians find lacking with the Arts. How would you assess yours?
Well, you'd have to survey them.

An obvious explanation is that the first party lenses are so good.

People have preferred the FA31 for their wide angle - arguably the greatest Pentax lens - even though it's more expensive than the Art.

I have both.

If I was a measurebator, the 35 Sigma and Pentax DFA 50mm Macro and 100mm Macro would be my three sharpest.

But it's very big and very heavy, the 31 with its gorgeous rendering is an all-metal Limited - small enough you've no excuse to always have it in the bag. It's plenty sharp, too, and TheEnglishPhotographer has shown that stopped down for a landscape you can't tell the difference.

It's so good that to be honest the upcoming Pentax DFA* 35mm may have a hard time being profitable.

Below is a pic taken with the Sigma during Blue Hour on a K-S1:

Last edited by clackers; 08-24-2017 at 04:32 PM.
08-24-2017, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, you'd have to survey them.

An obvious explanation is that the first party lenses are so good.

People have preferred the FA31 for their wide angle - arguably the greatest Pentax lens - even though it's more expensive than the Art.

I have both.

If I was a measurebator, the 35 Sigma and Pentax DFA 50mm Macro and 100mm Macro would be my three sharpest.

But it's very big and very heavy, the 31 with its gorgeous rendering is an all-metal Limited - small enough you've no excuse to always have it in the bag. It's plenty sharp, too, and TheEnglishPhotographer has shown that stopped down for a landscape you can't tell the difference.

It's so good that to be honest the upcoming Pentax DFA* 35mm may have a hard time being profitable.

Below is a pic taken with the Sigma during Blue Hour on a K-S1:
Thank you, it's great to have an opinion from someone who actually uses both lenses. I appreciate it.