Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

50mm DA f/1.8... good in rain?

Hi! Infrequent poster here. After using the Panasonic LX100 for a year and a half I've started saving up for the K70. I don't have a lot of cash so I think I'm going to get the 50mm lens for everything, as least to start with. I like to do street shooting at night in town, so having it wide open is a big plus.

My question: the K70 is weather resistant, or weather sealed, or... you can take it in the rain it seems. Can the 50mm DA do the same thing? We get some lousy weather in my little corner of the globe. Thanks!

08-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by toptenmaterial Quote
Hi! Infrequent poster here. After using the Panasonic LX100 for a year and a half I've started saving up for the K70. I don't have a lot of cash so I think I'm going to get the 50mm lens for everything, as least to start with. I like to do street shooting at night in town, so having it wide open is a big plus.

My question: the K70 is weather resistant, or weather sealed, or... you can take it in the rain it seems. Can the 50mm DA do the same thing? We get some lousy weather in my little corner of the globe. Thanks!
It's not weather sealed in any capacity, it is a plastic-fantastic standard lens after all. Optically it's fairly good though, but I wouldn't risk my camera with a non wr lens in a rain, unless you get a cover for the kit (which are available).
08-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No. The DA 50 is not WR. If a lens is WR it will have that in its name i.e. 18-135 ED AL [IF] DC WR. (Extra-low Dispersion, Aspherical Element, Internal Focus, DC Motor, Weather Resistant)

The * series are all AW which means they are dust sealed as well as having a higher standard of WR. Adam has an article somewhere on the site that lists all the WR options.
08-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The DA 50mm is not weather sealed. The more expensive DA* 55mm F1.4 is, however.

For those rainy days I'd say the most cost-effective solution would be a DA 18-55mm or 18-135mm WR. Then you won't be restricted in terms of primes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-21-2017, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello

No, the DA50 f/1.8 absolutely is not weather resistant... but neither were most all of the lenses people used during the days of film. Weather-resistant or not, you shouldn't treat any DSLR and lens combo like it's water-proof. Take reasonable precautions - a rain poncho, keeping the camera under your jacket, wiping it down when it gets droplets of water on it. Used this way, *any* camera and lens is usable in bad weather. Those that are weather-resistant are simply at less risk of water ingress
08-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Weather-resistant or not, you shouldn't treat any DSLR and lens combo like it's water-proof. Take reasonable precautions - a rain poncho, keeping the camera under your jacket, wiping it down when it gets droplets of water on it. Used this way, *any* camera and lens is usable in bad weather. Those that are weather-resistant are simply at less risk of water ingress
I put mine under the faucet to clean it.
08-21-2017, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
That's rolling dice.

There's no gasket on the DA50.

08-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's rolling dice.

There's no gasket on the DA50.
with the DA*55 attached!
08-21-2017, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

with the DA*55 attached!
Well, that's obviously better.

I've got that combo too, but still wouldn't do that. Moist cloth for mine.
08-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not having much cash- consider the KS-2 with the DA-L 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC WR kit lens. This combo is offered now at B&H for $549. Bought separately, the body is $499 and kit lens is nearly $300! I have the excellent K-5 IIs and last year bought this same combo as my lightweight alternative at a similarly great price- reduced after the K70 was released. A couple of months ago, I also purchased a KP.

I can tell you, the images from the KS-2 are very fine! Metering and exposure are very good. This kit lens is the smallest zoom lens for APS-C use. Releasing its retracted carrying position for using the lens is a bit fiddly, but easy to get used to. AF is fast, quiet, and sure. The combo is so compact, I can fit it into a large jacket pocket- no problem! Very handy. Yet, this neat little DSLR package has WR, both body and lens, and can be used in the rain! As I always say, be sure to employ "fine" sharpening in the custom image menu for both "Bright" and "Natural" categories. The kit lens is slow for doing night shots, however. We would be glad to see the arrival of a really good D-FA 24mm f/2 DC WR, and also a simple upgrade of the fine FA 35mm f/2 into a D-FA DC WR version.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-22-2017 at 12:01 AM.
08-21-2017, 11:34 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL

The point I was trying to make was, simple precautions allow any equipment, WR or not, to be used in most weather conditions. WR in a lens (or camera) is only weather resistance, not weather proofing. As such, there's risk associated with using even WR kit in wet weather (or rinsing it under the faucet ) - it's just lower risk than with non-WR kit
08-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

- fast
- cheap
- WR

pick 2 out of 3 because 3 out of 3 ain't happening
08-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fascinating responses. Thanks everyone. A question: is there a compelling reason to get the K70 over the KS2?
08-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toptenmaterial Quote
Fascinating responses. Thanks everyone. A question: is there a compelling reason to get the K70 over the KS2?
Best bang for the buck, newer, a ton of awesome features, I believe it would have better image quality too. I'd watch few reviews on YouTube about the camera, like TheCameraStore channel K70 review