Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mmF2.8ED SDM WR

As an introduction I am from the Netherlands and since 2016 I have a pentax K3II with lenses 16-50F2.8 ED and a 60-250 mm F4.0 lens. Because of a very demanding job my photo shoots are most times only in the vacation and in some free weekends. I am pleased with the camera, only the distortion of the 16-50 lens was a bid annoying. Therefore I changed the lens for a 24-70mm lens. All went well until one shower in Scotland. I had an umbrella but my backpack became a little bit wet at the bottom. I had my camera and lenses in the backpack. Back in the vacation rental home I discovered that nothing was wrong with my camera or the big telelens. However the most expensive 24-70 lens although not wet from the outside had water inside the lens as shown by condensation in the window of the distance reading. The camera doesn't recognise the lens anymore, the autofocus is not working it does not recognise the different programs I can't work with it anymore. At the shop the simply stated that this is not covered by the guarantee (I bought it a month ago). I find that quite remarkable for a weather resistent lens. I have had cameras before under much worse circumstances and never had any problems. Are there other people with similar experiences?

08-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was the lens mounted on the camera? I've never had a WR failure myself, but it can happen. I know some will call me crazy, but I've even cleaned my camera in the sink a time or two.
08-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I recently took the back K-mount off my FA 50 macro and left in infront of a hair dryer on low heat of a few hours. Reassemply was interesting, and involved taping the contacts to the lens mount of reassembly, but I got through it OK, got rid of the condensation and the lens works fine now.

Last edited by normhead; 08-26-2017 at 01:36 PM.
08-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxK3IITjhie Quote
As an introduction I am from the Netherlands and since 2016 I have a pentax K3II with lenses 16-50F2.8 ED and a 60-250 mm F4.0 lens. Because of a very demanding job my photo shoots are most times only in the vacation and in some free weekends. I am pleased with the camera, only the distortion of the 16-50 lens was a bid annoying. Therefore I changed the lens for a 24-70mm lens. All went well until one shower in Scotland. I had an umbrella but my backpack became a little bit wet at the bottom. I had my camera and lenses in the backpack. Back in the vacation rental home I discovered that nothing was wrong with my camera or the big telelens. However the most expensive 24-70 lens although not wet from the outside had water inside the lens as shown by condensation in the window of the distance reading. The camera doesn't recognise the lens anymore, the autofocus is not working it does not recognise the different programs I can't work with it anymore. At the shop the simply stated that this is not covered by the guarantee (I bought it a month ago). I find that quite remarkable for a weather resistent lens. I have had cameras before under much worse circumstances and never had any problems. Are there other people with similar experiences?
The warranty does not cover water damage in any case (), but if the lens was in physical contact with the soaked part of the backpack, water could be pushed in through the seals (or cap) as they are not designed for this kind of pressure. Weather seals mainly rely on surface tension to keep water from coming in, and any downward force on the water can break this. Still, it sounds like you got really unlucky- I hope that perhaps putting the lens in a bowl of rice for an expended period to remove the moisture will help.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had an umbrella but my backpack became a little bit wet at the bottom
although not wet from the outside had water inside the lens as shown by condensation in the window of the distance reading
I find that quite remarkable for a weather resistent lens.
I am sorry, but a weather resistant lens is not a waterproof lens. Why should Pentax reimburse you for faling to keep your equipment out of water immersion?
08-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If nothing got into the camera to cause problems, it is mysterious that only the lens was affected, unless it was not mounted on the camera. I would assume all lenses and the camera were positioned downward. Being that this occurred from a rainfall, I wonder that your backpack was ok except for the bottom being a little bit wet. I do agree with Adam that it would be really pushing weather-sealing to stick a lens down into the bottom of a soaked bag to be sloshed around amongst various other objects!

Anyway, since you bought the lens only a month ago, it would be worth a try sending it in to Pentax with a copy of your receipt, being clear if there was or was not emersion in water, and that all other Pentax equipment in the backpack was unaffected. It is possible a seal was improperly installed. Also be clear whether the lens was or was not mounted on the camera.
08-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are there other people with similar experiences?
Very, rarely with lenses. By any chance do you have homeowner's or renter's insurance or an umbrella policy on your gear?

BTW, welcome to the Pentax Forums and sorry it is under these circumstances.

Steve

08-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A WR lens is only WR if it is mounted to a WR camera body. If it is sitting unmounted at the bottom of a wet backpack, then important bits will most likely get wet.

Keep it out in a warm dry room with a fan running for a day. Zoom it in and out periodically. Hopefully it will all work out.
08-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Re-reading your post maybe that the lens got moisture inside it rather than significant amount of water. If the rice/desicant trick does not work I would suggest sending it back to Pentax anyway for an "assesment" of repair. You may be pleasantly surprised.
08-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Was the lens mounted on the camera? I've never had a WR failure myself, but it can happen. I know some will call me crazy, but I've even cleaned my camera in the sink a time or two.
Thanks for the reply no it was not mounted on the camera. It was in my backpack but strangely enough not wet on the outside
08-23-2017, 02:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear bad news about your most expensive lens, and humidity came inside it.

I can suggest ( if you have any tehnical experiance ) to try clean it and dry by yourself. I can recall I have seen much you tube tutorials how to clean your lens from fungus, and others stuff in it.

---
I also have bad experiance with Pentax WR.

Some guys claim their cameras are not working, after hard work in difficult weather - but - Pentax have always chance to say, to you - it's your fault.

Claims that something is weather resistant - are not stated right - and marketing about it is somewhat incorrect - or should I say - missunderstaning. It's obviously not clear enough - when the Weather resistant should work, and when would not.

Also, I can recall, after my bad hapening with WR, and humidity - my good camera repairing master - was told me.

---

Pentax should absoultelly work on this - because - it would bring to them ( and I think it's already happen ) bad reputation.

Who need that ?
And in what cost ? Few broken cameras ? It's a minor cost for them. And I also think they should repair it also when you're out of waranty dead line.
/ at least 36 months .

It's shame when you had to discover on your own - WR does not mean weather proof.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-23-2017 at 03:38 AM. Reason: The last time I'm editing one of these posts
08-23-2017, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
I also have bad experiance with Pentax WR.

Some guys claim their cameras are not working, after hard work in difficult weather - but - Pentax have always chance to say, to you - it's your fault.

Claims that something is weather resistant - are not stated right - and marketing about it is somewhat incorrect - or should I say - missunderstaning. It's obviously not clear enough - when the Weather resistant should work, and when would not.
I think it's worth putting this in context. We have thousands of members on this site using Pentax WR equipment. Only a relatively small percentage will use that equipment in wet weather - but I'd suggest it's still a significant number. Even so, the number of reports we've had of problems due to water ingress is small. Of those, at least some are due to a lack of care by the user. Sadly, it's impossible for Ricoh to verify that water ingress was caused by a manufacturing fault or inappropriate use.

Ricoh should clarify that WR means weather-resistant, not weather proof. Actually, all manufacturers of WR equipment should do this. Plus, advertising really shouldn't encourage unreasonable expectations of WR performance.

In most cases, sensible precautions - coupled with a camera and (fitted) lens with weather resistance - will significantly reduce the chances of water ingress; but that's all.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-23-2017 at 05:29 AM.
08-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

When things happen, Pentax should at least be interested why it happened. They can only get better.
I agree that Pentax is maybe not to blame here, but they also did not excel! I would at least expect a deal on a new lens.

Guarantee is issued by the manufacturer in Europe not by the shop. Send it to Pentax, so Pentax has a chance to excel.
08-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
When things happen, Pentax should at least be interested why it happened. They can only get better.
Absolutely.

And, as I've said before, I do think ideally they should give users the benefit of the doubt and honour all but the really obvious misuse warranty claims. I don't believe it's a large number from the reports we've seen, and it would increase confidence and sales for far less money than any advertising could

I'll be out shooting with my K-3, DA*60-250 and HD 1.4x AW, and I'm expecting at least some rain - so, usual precautions apply
08-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for all your responses. My house is equipped with a dry air heating system which continuously, also in summer, refreshes air through grids. After two days on one of the grids the moisture seems to be gone! Everything is working now as it should!

I have reread the operating manual and it states clearly that it is water resistant but not that it has to be mounted for the resistance! In the manual it states under features of the lens " This lens has a water-resistant construction with each part individually sealed". I would have a case before court!

It would better if they would mention that the water resistance is only applicable if mounted.
Furthermore a cap which imitates the mounting on a camera would also be very functional.

Last edited by PentaxK3IITjhie; 08-25-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: some typing errors