Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FA 50mm 1.4 Hood Advice

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I heard the FA 50mm 1.4 benefits from a hood. I will admit.. I rarely use a hood, I'm not even entirely sure the correct scenarios of when to apply a hood! (I shall need to study and read up on this). My immediate thought is when on those odd occasions you have to shoot into the sun, and the hood kinda acts like a baseball cap on a persons head lol.. but yeh... kinda clueless.

What's a good hood for the FA 50mm 1.4? Are hoods screwed on like filter caps? I have a DFA 100mm F2.8 Macro that came with a hood that kinda twists on and off easy (same with 18-55mm kit lens), I see no way to apply one like this on the FA 50mm tho..

Cheers,

Bruce

08-23-2017, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the proper hood for it:
Pentax 49mm Rectangular Lens Hood 34021 B&H Photo Video
08-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Wow... seems kinda pricey. I've seen other lens hoods on the FA 50mm (i think maybe in the review section), perhaps there are other ones just as good and cheaper (like 3rd party) that will do the same job? Just hunt for 49mm hoods then I guess?
08-23-2017, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Wow... seems kinda pricey. I've seen other lens hoods on the FA 50mm (i think maybe in the review section), perhaps there are other ones just as good and cheaper (like 3rd party) that will do the same job? Just hunt for 49mm hoods then I guess?
It is pricey but it is the correct shape. I always prefer buying Pentax over third party, but you should be able to find another square snap-on hood. I know I saw this one:
Vello PS-49 Dedicated Lens Hood LHP-S49 B&H Photo Video
It should do the same job.

08-23-2017, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Just hunt for 49mm hoods then I guess?
Yes. That's what I did. You'll find plenty on eBay for way less than US$45, even rectangular ones.

Search for 'PH-SA49' and something should come up. There's a JJC one for AUD$13.99 delivered. Mine is branded 'uWinKa'.

Last edited by rawr; 08-23-2017 at 02:49 PM.
08-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is pricey but it is the correct shape. I always prefer buying Pentax over third party, but you should be able to find another square snap-on hood. I know I saw this one:
Vello PS-49 Dedicated Lens Hood LHP-S49 B&H Photo Video
It should do the same job.
Cheers. So what's the deal with square hoods vs I guess... circular regular hoods? Is the idea behind a square hood that because the picture is taken with a square/rectangular image, the square hood distributes the shade/light more evenly for that final 3:2 image? Do circular ones vignette more?

I also saw quite a longish hood on a FA50mm, does contrast and other stuff improve if perhaps the hood extends out a little longer?

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes. That's what I did. You'll find plenty on eBay for way less than US$45, even rectangular ones.
Cheers, I will do that.

I'm also wondering tho, I find filters a pain to take on and off, I quite like this 'twist and click' style hood. Can you by chance get a filter thread that attaches on the FA50mm (and other lens with same thread size) that then terminates with the 'clicky' stuff required to mount those kinda hoods onto? The idea being you could leave this 'bruce imaginary twisty filter thread thing' on indefinitely, and also still be able to place a lens cap on it, and even screw ND filters on if required? That would be ideal..
08-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
Ari
Veteran Member

Cheers. So what's the deal with square hoods vs I guess... circular regular hoods? Is the idea behind a square hood that because the picture is taken with a square/rectangular image, the square hood distributes the shade/light more evenly for that final 3:2 image? Do circular ones vignette more?

I also saw quite a longish hood on a FA50mm, does contrast and other stuff improve if perhaps the hood extends out a little longer?

Cheers, I will do that.

I'm also wondering tho, I find filters a pain to take on and off, I quite like this 'twist and click' style hood. Can you by chance get a filter thread that attaches on the FA50mm (and other lens with same thread size) that then terminates with the 'clicky' stuff required to mount those kinda hoods onto? The idea being you could leave this 'bruce imaginary twisty filter thread thing' on indefinitely, and also still be able to place a lens cap on it, and even screw ND filters on if required? That would be ideal..
I doubt it If you are using filters, just get a better ND filter and leave it on permanently. There's really no need to take it on and off.

08-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I doubt it If you are using filters, just get a better ND filter and leave it on permanently. There's really no need to take it on and off.
I used to have a Variable ND filter , quite an expensive one, but it was super bad so now I use a couple of decent ones to block out the amount I want. I'm not sure I understand the logic in 'leave it on permanently... no need to take it on and off' tho, I mean you buy a F1.4 for a reason, adding a ND filter and shooting in all conditions seems bizarre to me. I use a ND filter for long exposure shots, and that's about it (which is definitely the minority of the time), I'd rather have the ND filter off most the time.
08-23-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use this one for my FA 50 1.4:

Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video
Works well with filters and collapses. Nice solid rubber and easy to use. Makes a big difference in contrast.
08-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ The last sentence is the key. A Hood increases contrast and color saturation in all light conditions. In theory a square or rectangular hood reduces the chance of corner vignetting (slight darkening in the corners).
08-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The idea being you could leave this 'bruce imaginary twisty filter thread thing' on indefinitely, and also still be able to place a lens cap on it, and even screw ND filters on if required? That would be ideal..
I put something like this on my FA50: 49mm Collapsible Rubber Lens Hood | DigiDIRECT Australia It was a spur of the moment buy when I was in a camera store but it worked so I've stuck with it. They're cheap and they screw in but they do allow the lens cap to be placed on and as they also have a filter thread they allow filters to be added and removed without removing the hood. They don't look as flash as the proper square ones, but you could pick up one of these, try it and if it's all you need you're done. If you decide you want something else it's not a big investment to have wasted.
08-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On aps-c you can use a deeper hood. I use the takumar 105/120 or 135mm lens hoods on my 50ties
08-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I also use the rubber hood Pentax Syntax linked to. It has built in filter threads and allows the lens cap to be put on easily without moving the hood, same as the 3rd party one Tas linked to.

One of the rectangular or metal hoods might be better at blocking stray light from hitting the front element (depending on its design), but the rubber hood is very convenient.
08-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The idea behind non-round hoods is that they provide more share coverage overall. A circular hood is limited by the lowest common denominator (the sides) while a square or petal-shaped hood is optimized to properly cover different parts of the frame.

Note that on APS-C you can use a narrower hood since the FoV is also narrower.

I've personally mainly used this rubber hood with my FA 50mm:

Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video

Not only is it cheaper, but it can be collapsed and this makes the lens much more portable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #15
Forum Member

The 49mm hood and cap from the 43mm limited should fit. Looks very nice on my M 50mm 1.4. The push on cap with the felt is smmoooth.

Part # MH-RA 49mm