Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Finding lenses in California

Hi all

I'm going to the US and I was just wondering what the chances are of finding glass in California - as in hands on, old or new?

08-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
where in Cali?
08-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sassinak Quote
Hi all

I'm going to the US and I was just wondering what the chances are of finding glass in California - as in hands on, old or new?
Check for Samy's Camera stores in the area and ask if they carry Pentax. They won't have the full lineup like B&H or Adorama do (they are the only two stores that carry everything AFAIK), but they might have a lot on hand and can certainly order things for you.

While I don't know which of these are in CA, attached is the full list of authorized Pentax dealers in the US as of February 2017.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Ricoh Imaging_Authorized Dealer List.pdf (82.5 KB, 69 views)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
where in Cali?
We start in LA, then San Diego, Las Vegas and then up Route 1 from Santa Barbara to San Francisco

---------- Post added 08-24-17 at 11:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Check for Samy's Camera stores in the area and ask if they carry Pentax. They won't have the full lineup like B&H or Adorama do (they are the only two stores that carry everything AFAIK), but they might have a lot on hand and can certainly order things for you.

While I don't know which of these are in CA, attached is the full list of authorized Pentax dealers in the US as of February 2017.
Thank you, that's really helpful

08-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

Samy's has three stores in the Los Angeles area, one in Santa Barbara and San Franciso.

I know the Culver City store carries the K-1 but I didn't see any lenses other than some used lenses, a used K-50 and what ever lens was on the K-1.

Used equipment will vary from store to store. And it is very rare that I see used Pentax equipment at the Culver City store.

They do sell used equipment on their eBay store. I don't know if they pool the used equipment from all their stores for eBay or just those from the main store on Fairfax.
08-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Reason I'm asking is that I'm considering my options for lenses to travel with. My 18-135 is my main walkaround and I'm considering my 55-330 for wildlife but was wondering whether to take a prime with me.

Unfortunately I only have old prime manual lenses which are relatively heavy of their size and so thought about picking up one of the 'plastic fantastics' over there instead.
08-24-2017, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might also consider renting lenses for the time you are here.
Borrowlenses.com carries a few in Kmount, mostly DA but a couple FA.
They have two locations in Southern CA for pickup/drop off and 4 in the SF bay area.
You can reserve online to arrange the dates for rental.
I've used them a couple of times and never had poor or neglected equipment rented to me.
If you are in the Lake Tahoe area, Gordons Photo in Reno, NV carries a small line of Pentax lenses, several used M, A, &M42 for a descent price.
Enjoy your travels.

08-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcrichmond Quote
You might also consider renting lenses for the time you are here.
Borrowlenses.com carries a few in Kmount, mostly DA but a couple FA.
They have two locations in Southern CA for pickup/drop off and 4 in the SF bay area.
You can reserve online to arrange the dates for rental.
I've used them a couple of times and never had poor or neglected equipment rented to me.
If you are in the Lake Tahoe area, Gordons Photo in Reno, NV carries a small line of Pentax lenses, several used M, A, &M42 for a descent price.
Enjoy your travels.
Oooh, now there's a thought - thanks!
08-24-2017, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

another company that rents nation wide is https://www.lensrentals.com/ out of Tennessee.

https://www.lensrentals.com/about-us

They carry Pentax brand and other equipment which might have a Pentax mount.

they would ship to either a street address or a UPS store I believe, give them a call and find out. They do ship nation wide as I understand it.

if you do rent from them, they may offer to sell you the item you rent with credit of the rental on the sales price

again best thing to do is check out their web site and give them a call or since you are not in the US now, send an email

they were very quick to get back to me when I contacted them by email

I would advise paying for their maximum protection plan just in case.

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-24-2017 at 03:15 PM.
08-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Samys biggest store is the one in Los Angeles. It is in the Fairfax district very close to the Farmers Market, CBS studios, museum row, and the tar pits. If you are doing tourist stuff in L.A., you will be next to Samys. That store carries some Pentax in the SW corner on the 2nd floor. It is the four story building just south of 3rd street on Fairfax blvd. It occupies all four floors. There are several interesting display cases full of antique equipment.

If you are in town on September 10th, go to the Pasadena camera show, a large swap meet of photographic "stuff". :: Welcome to Bargain Camera Shows! ::
08-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Samy's in Santa Ana, between LA and San Diego - not sure of their Pentax stock as I jumped to Canon before I shopped there.

I would recommend checking with the California Highway Patrol for Route 1 landslides closure before getting stuck at Hearst Castle (not a bad place to be stuck).

That is a long back-and-forth to Las Vegas. If you have the time I suggest Valley of Fire about 1 hour north. Bring water.
08-25-2017, 03:53 AM   #12

Samy's camera Pasadena

Try Samy's in Pasadena, They recently had a Pentax rep demo ing the K1 at their store. If they do not have what you want, I am sure that they can direct you where to find what you're looking for.
Good luck
08-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #13

A cool small shop is Glass Key Photo in San Francisco. Lots of used cameras, lenses, and film for sale. Plus root beer!
08-25-2017, 11:22 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shampeon Quote
A cool small shop is Glass Key Photo in San Francisco. Lots of used cameras, lenses, and film for sale. Plus root beer!
Oooh, root beer! Yum! And cameras to prowl around - sounds like a great combination. Thanks!