Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lenses that set Pentax apart of the competition

Which Pentax lenses (that are still in production) do you think that are better than other manufacturers equivalents?

It can be any feature or optical quality that makes that Pentax lens unique or better than the competition.

Just interested of hearing peoples opinions

08-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think "better" is necessarily the right word, but the Limited lens lineup comes to mind. No other DSLR lineup has tiny metal AF lenses in their lineup today This gives Pentax an edge in terms of compactness.

Another area is cheap weather sealed lenses. Canon and Nikon's WR lenses are generally more expensive and limited to the prosumer/pro lineups, whereas Pentax has many consumer WR lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2017, 11:24 AM - 3 Likes   #3

DA21mm Limited. The best lens for street of any APS-C system. Small, light, incredible construction, awesome colours, great rendering. Forget the lens correction profiles... it doesn’t need it; bags of character.
08-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Adam...

"Better" is very much a subjective assessment. That said, the DA and FA Limited lenses are all very good to excellent optically, with high quality construction and beautiful finish, plus they're (mostly) very compact and light (considering the metal construction). I don't own any of the FA Limited lenses, but I have all of the HD DA Limiteds, and they're fantastic. Everyone has their favourite in this line-up, and for me it's the DA21 f/3.2. The field of view is so versatile, the rendering is lovely, colour and contrast really excellent... A brilliant little lens

08-24-2017, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, at the risk of sounding like a broken record the Limited pancakes are a must. Recently the competition brought out a 40mm pancake-ish lens but I don't think it compares to the 40 for character on a camera. The DA21 is my favorite lens for a lot of things. I don't have the 70, I don't think I'll wind up getting it - though maybe, just to have all three pocket-sized powerhouses. Everyone I take pictures with using the 21mm has loved the photos. Of course I usually desaturate the red a bit so people don't look so flushed.

I'd also add using an A50 f1.4 is a pleasure, too. Pentax makes that easy.
08-24-2017, 11:47 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
he DA and FA Limited lenses are all very good to excellent optically, with high quality construction and beautiful finish, plus they're (mostly) very compact and light (considering the metal construction).
not to mention quite a few unique focal lengths, if we're talking uniqueness
08-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the Limiteds- Both camera and lens system being of very high quality and at the same time extraordinarily compact for portability. For entry and mid level, an entire line having exceptionally good construction with WR available, and with compactness often emphasized. Prices for such advantages are also extraordinary.

08-24-2017, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree with the above in respect of affordable WR, all the DA Ltd's and the 21mm Ltd in particular.

But Pentax has something else that makes it unique: the focal lengths of the FA Ltd 'holy trinity'. Being slightly wider than the classic 35mm, 50mm and 85mm trio (31, 43 and 77) we push that bit closer to fill the frame which along with great character/rendering, means that Pentax has something to offer slightly different that stands out from the crowd.
I think they could make more of this unique perspective in the advertising to be honest.
08-24-2017, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you can expand this to the Q series (mirrorless) then I would add the 06 zoom. There is nothing quite like it. Small, sharp, and constant f/2.8. It's the singular lens that keeps the Q alive for me.

Going back to K-mount ... I agree with others that the FA Limiteds stand out.

Even more stand-out is that the K-mount is the only design that does not require any changes to the flange distance in order to adapt M42 lenses. The distance is 45.46mm for M42 and K-mount.
08-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
If you can expand this to the Q series (mirrorless) then I would add the 06 zoom. There is nothing quite like it. Small, sharp, and constant f/2.8. It's the singular lens that keeps the Q alive for me.
Gah! Shutup! I can't get the budget for the -06. I like the Q, though, the 01 is frakking great. You don't even need to look, just point and shoot.

Another good one, the newer WR 100mm f2.8 macro. I don't have it, I like my FA100 too much, but if they release a version with the new motorized focus as well as the WR standard, I may just have to write Santa a letter... There are a few macros in this range, but WR tips the scale for the price point.
08-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Another good one, the newer WR 100mm f2.8 macro.
Ah, the "Limited" that isn't Wonderful lens
08-24-2017, 01:34 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The limiteds are great candidates for sure and generally compactness is a Pentax benefit.

But one of the big benefits of Pentax for me are the lenses that are not in production! With Pentax you can easily carry on using them. Just yesterday I was enjoying the character of a Super Takumar 50 f1.4 on the K-1 - I have a A50 and FA50 f1.4 but the Takumar still has some qualities to offer.
08-24-2017, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What kiwi_jono said.

In terms of current lenses, I'm going to go against the grain and say the DA Limited 20-40mm f2.8-4 for several reasons. It's a beautiful crafted lens, it's optics are fantastic, it's fast at the wide end and more than adequate at the long end, it's weather sealed, it's silky smooth and a joy to use, and it's just a wonderful all around lens. In my opinion, it doesn't get the respect it deserves.
08-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Gah! Shutup! I can't get the budget for the -06. I like the Q, though, the 01 is frakking great. You don't even need to look, just point and shoot.

Another good one, the newer WR 100mm f2.8 macro. I don't have it, I like my FA100 too much, but if they release a version with the new motorized focus as well as the WR standard, I may just have to write Santa a letter... There are a few macros in this range, but WR tips the scale for the price point.
The 100 WR has become my favorite for nature walks. Enough reach for a bit of wildlife, not too long for some landscapes and macro for insects and flowers. Great all around lens.
08-24-2017, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #15

DFA 100mm F:2.8 WR - outstanding lens, really neat barrel design, though no SDM or PLM, this glass beats Canons 100mm Macro in terms of sharpness (IMHO).
Bang for Buck - 1000%
THX to PENTAX/Ricoh-Imaging