Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2017, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kiron 70-210mm f4 - the classic MF "zoomlock". One of the best!

Just acquired this example for next to nothing, for some reason this lens hasn't acquired the cachet of eg the Vivitar Series 1 komine 70-210mm. PK mount, excellent condition, also has the focus limiters as well. I'm not sure that either of these mechanical features - zoomlock, focus limiters - really have that much utility. I think they are more USP's.
I haven't got round to writing up a conclusion to my 70-210mm tests, but if/when I do I may well suggest that this lens is #1 - specifically for consistent all round performance and bright, true colours.
Pentax K5, jpg's slightly tweaked in Faststone.

08-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

NICE!

any shots of the lens itself?

as far as the zoom-lock - I had occasion to use this feature just this past Monday while shooting the eclipse; it came in handy when using a large, 150-500mm zoom at a near-vertical position...
08-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have a Sigma 70-210 f3.5-4.5 APO manual focus lens with auto aperture A. It goes well on the K-1. I have been thinking of doing some kind of review.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I have a Sigma 70-210 f3.5-4.5 APO manual focus lens with auto aperture A. It goes well on the K-1. I have been thinking of doing some kind of review.
there is also a Manual Zoom Club thread you can share your work with that lens in:

Manual Zoom Club - PentaxForums.com

08-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
ny shots of the lens itself?
See the review page:

Kiron Zoomlock 70-210mm f/4 Macro Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I have been thinking of doing some kind of review.
Yes you should. The APO designation on the sigmas of that era (1990's?) I think was basically like the SP designated tamrons - top of the line. Thats a nice pic. if this is the lens there is already a review page:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-70-210mm-f3-5-4-5-apo.html

Last edited by marcusBMG; 08-24-2017 at 03:43 PM.
08-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
there is also a Manual Zoom Club thread you can share your work with that lens in:

Manual Zoom Club - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the tip. Some nice shots there!

---------- Post added 08-24-17 at 03:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Yes you should. The APO designation on the sigmas of that era I think was basically like the SP designated tamrons - top of the line. Thats a nice pic. if this is the lens there is already a review page:

Sigma 70-210mm F3.5-4.5 Apo Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
This is an auto focus Sigma lens of a similar vintage. Also my lens has a 52 mm diameter filter thread. So it is a different lens. The image Quality seems to be on a par with my m- series 200mm f4 lens.
Your Kiron images are really nice too!
08-29-2017, 05:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was in the Camera Retail trade back in the day when these were sold new - they were very highly regarded then, we rated them as equal or better than any of the other independent lenses at the time (based on enthusiastic customer reviews and testing). I believe there was also a slightly lower spec 80-200 that was more of a budget model.

The introduction of their fast wide angles (28mm and 24mm f2.0's) caused a big stir as well