Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Primes vs Fuji

Searching for some fast WR prime lenses currently available on market, I'm looking now at the Fuji primes, Fujifilm XF 16mm f/1.4 R WR Lens for instance, I think it's a great WR lens. Unfortunately I can't find something similar for Pentax system, or I might be wrong? Switching to Fuji is not an option as I like every single piece of Pentax system, I just fell in love, but at the same time, can't afford another but expensive body for this. Another disadvantage is that Fuji has no IBIS. Having prime lenses on stabilized body is a huge difference. I'm not even saying about astrotracing, pixel shift etc etc... So how do you think guys?

08-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Searching for some fast WR prime lenses currently available on market, I'm looking now at the Fuji primes, Fujifilm XF 16mm f/1.4 R WR Lens for instance, I think it's a great WR lens. Unfortunately I can't find something similar for Pentax system, or I might be wrong? Switching to Fuji is not an option as I like every single piece of Pentax system, I just fell in love, but at the same time, can't afford another but expensive body for this. Another disadvantage is that Fuji has no IBIS. Having prime lenses on stabilized body is a huge difference. I'm not even saying about astrotracing, pixel shift etc etc... So how do you think guys?
There's no doubt that Fuji is pumping out some amazing lenses. Pentax has several primes on the roadmap, but no sign of them releasing soon. I'm not a fan of the Fuji bodies (at least last time I used a x pro) and the x-trans sensor has issues with many post processing programs. Fuji doesn't have full frame, (though now they have MF), and the lenses are as expensive as typicall quality full frame lenses from Pentax. Sure, the body is smaller, but the lenses aren't, so you aren't really saving space or weight. But they do have great retro styling, if that's what makes a difference for you.
08-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

While expecting a couple large aperture D-FA fullframe prime lenses, I would not expect such thing from Pentax for APS-C format. Pentax is known for small, lightweight primes in APS-C, not for super large aperture. Lens focus currently appears to be towards FF lenses. Large aperture lenses for smaller than FF can be found from Fuji as well as Olymppus.
08-25-2017, 10:13 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, these are the compromises you have to make. No one system is perfect. If I had my choice, I would want a Pentax body with Fuji lenses....but that aint happening lol.
You just have invest in a system that checks MOST of your boxes.

08-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
There's no doubt that Fuji is pumping out some amazing lenses. Pentax has several primes on the roadmap, but no sign of them releasing soon. I'm not a fan of the Fuji bodies (at least last time I used a x pro) and the x-trans sensor has issues with many post processing programs. Fuji doesn't have full frame, (though now they have MF), and the lenses are as expensive as typicall quality full frame lenses from Pentax. Sure, the body is smaller, but the lenses aren't, so you aren't really saving space or weight. But they do have great retro styling, if that's what makes a difference for you.
no I'm not concerned about the body size, more about IBIS etc. on top of that I think that the Pentax body is much better built. Has more features I like and so on.
08-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fuji has a really nice set of lenses. They are APS-C specific and are a little on the expensive side. On the other hand, Pentax really doesn't have many sealed primes -- the DA *55, DFA100 macro, DA *200, DA *300, and DA 560 are the ones that come to mind right now.

I will say that for ultra wide angle, I don't really fine auto focus to be really necessary as it is pretty easy to do hyperfocal focusing. Not sure what application you are needing fast aperture wide angle, but Samyang is probably one of the better options and pretty reasonably priced.
08-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Lenses with specs similar to this are really only suitable for a mirrorless system, since they take advantage of the decreased register distance to go so wide and fast without getting enormous. It's similar to how you'd see standard 1.2s on Leicas and Canon clone RFs that were smaller than an f/2 on a contemporary SLR. As enoeske mentions, there is no Fuji Full Frame, and even if there were, the Fuji lenses being released wouldn't work on it, since they are designed around the APS-C sensor size.

If you are using Pentax FF, the equivalent FOV would be a 24mm lens. There are offerings form Samyang (1.4) and Sigma (1.8) and Pentax (FA* f/2) in this length and within 1 stop max aperture, but none are WR, and each has other limitations. The closest you are going to get with an APS-C body in K is the 16mm f/2 Samyang, which is MF and not WR.
ok so you are saying that it's not physically possible? not even hope to see something in future right? )

---------- Post added 08-25-17 at 10:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Unfortunately, these are the compromises you have to make. No one system is perfect. If I had my choice, I would want a Pentax body with Fuji lenses....but that aint happening lol.
You just have invest in a system that checks MOST of your boxes.
lol I was thinking just same thing!! ))) ok, why aren't we seeing limiteds with WR so long time? not a wide angle right? isn't that possible with 31mm for example?

08-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Unfortunately I can't find something similar for Pentax system, or I might be wrong?
You are correct. There is no comparable WR lens for K-mount. What are you planning on photographing that requires both a wide field of view (84 degrees diagonal on APS-C) and wide aperture?

Steve
08-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji has some really nice primes, true. And yes, it is slightly expensive and Fuji has its own cons. Lack of WR primes has been a complain against Pentax for a while.
The lens roadmap indicates we will have some more primes in the following year or two, though.

People already wrote a list of WR primes. I think one of the Irix lenses is WR as well. Ultra wide prime
08-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are correct. There is no comparable WR lens for K-mount. What are you planning on photographing that requires both a wide field of view (84 degrees diagonal on APS-C) and wide aperture?

Steve
I don't want to answer for the OP, but for me personally, I was in a fancy, very dim bar this weekend where the waiter makes your drinks table side. A 16 or 23mm f1.4 would've been very handy. Indoors, poorly lit environment where things move....SR/IS does not help you much there.
08-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
well, I wouldn't say that I have a direct requirement to be able to go out and shoot exactly 16mm angle, 1.4 wide and WR. Having current lenses I'm seriously thinking to get a prime which will have shallow depth of field and will give me possibilities to shoot in low light. On top of that, I'm somehow used to have WR lenses, so I hope that my next choice will be exactly WR. Looking around I just came to Fuji lenses that covers all these features. of course I thought why I can't get something similar for Pentax. I hope that some time in future I'll see WR version of amigos by the way.

---------- Post added 08-25-17 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I don't want to answer for the OP, but for me personally, I was in a fancy, very dim bar this weekend where the waiter makes your drinks table side. A 16 or 23mm f1.4 would've been very handy. Indoors, poorly lit environment where things move....SR/IS does not help you much there.
You have just wrote my thoughts man

---------- Post added 08-25-17 at 11:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Fuji has some really nice primes, true. And yes, it is slightly expensive and Fuji has its own cons. Lack of WR primes has been a complain against Pentax for a while.
The lens roadmap indicates we will have some more primes in the following year or two, though.

People already wrote a list of WR primes. I think one of the Irix lenses is WR as well. Ultra wide prime
I hope so too. thanks for the link
08-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The widest Pentax prime with WR is the DA* 55mm - so not wide at all, more telephoto on APSC. In fact the whole range, WR or otherwise, is fairly sparse at the wide end.

But have a think whether you truly need WR as there are some nice 3rd party lenses around the 15mm mark, as well as the Pentax limited.
08-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The irix 15mm is f2.4 and does have a weather sealed version. It is also a full frame lens, so could be used on the K-1 as well.

I'm not a master of lens design, but my understanding is that lenses for a mount will be smallest when their focal length is closest to the registration distance. That is why the DA 40 is so small for the K mount and why Fuji and Sony can make 17/18mm lenses that are so small. When you get to telephoto lenses, mirrorless lenses will be a little bigger than their SLR counterparts.
08-25-2017, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #14
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
The widest Pentax prime with WR is the DA* 55mm - so not wide at all, more telephoto on APSC. In fact the whole range, WR or otherwise, is fairly sparse at the wide end.

But have a think whether you truly need WR as there are some nice 3rd party lenses around the 15mm mark, as well as the Pentax limited.
well it would be just great

IRIX 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone Lens for Pentax K?

---------- Post added 08-25-17 at 11:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The irix 15mm is f2.4 and does have a weather sealed version. It is also a full frame lens, so could be used on the K-1 as well.

I'm not a master of lens design, but my understanding is that lenses for a mount will be smallest when their focal length is closest to the registration distance. That is why the DA 40 is so small for the K mount and why Fuji and Sony can make 17/18mm lenses that are so small. When you get to telephoto lenses, mirrorless lenses will be a little bigger than their SLR counterparts.
yes Rondec, I was also thinking about this lens, thanks. so if Irix is able to make 15 2.4 for K mount, I just wonder why Pentax can't or don't?
08-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Irix 15mm Blackstone seems to be a great lens. I was put off originally by some reports of infinity focus issues but according to IRIX this has now been resolved and (if so) it looks like a good option - there is a distinct shortage of reviews here though. I went for the Samyang 16mm in the end as it is pretty well regarded and the WR was not so important...plus it was a considerable price difference.