Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2017, 05:27 AM   #1

Waiting for another wide angle

So, I am a heavy k1 user for landscapes primarily using the dfa 24-70 and older lenses, but lack a 15-20 range sooo much. I have holded off on buying the 15-30 as it is expensive, bulky and I am primarily a screw on filter user. I have been in contact with Ricoh and in response to providing a wide angle prime they have just answered "refer to the lens road map". Not knowing what to do, would users consider that I hold off a bit longer to see whether Ricoh comes up with a wide prime soon or go for an irix 15mm or samyang 20mm. The wait is painful and patient are raining thin, as is with others too I am sure

08-27-2017, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree the 15-30 is large and heavy, but it delivers great looking pictures. I bit the bullet and did the Fotodiox Wonderpana 66 to get screw in filters. They make a multi-coated CPL and a variety of screw on ND filters for this system. Yes, it is expensive, but the pain goes away when you use it - very nicely made and works well. Also has the square brackets for 6.6" filters which lets you use anyone's filters of that dimension and play around with graduated NDs and being able to adjust the horizon vertically. So, not exactly the answer perhaps you're looking for, but wouldn't rule out the 15-30 over the threaded filter angle. Of note, I found I can leave the base ring on the lens, remove the front half of the adapter with filter attached as it's own assembly for storage/carrying, and use the original Pentax lens cap - this can also be useful if you're going from inside/outside and don't want to detach the lens from the camera every time you stop using the filter. So I leave the ring on the lens, and I pretty much leave the MC CPL on the rest of the adapter - picked up a 4" cap for a couple bucks to be a rear "lens" cover for the assembly when removed from the lens - note I keep mentioning the multi coated CPL to distinguish it from the non-multi-coated CPL they offer, which sounds like it has some flare issues from reviews. The multi-coated version gets much better reviews. Anyway, I can post some pictures if interested. Meanwhile, more coffee is needed.
08-27-2017, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 15-30 DFA is so versatile I would hate to be without it. Polarizing filters on a lens wider than 24 are difficult to control because of uneven sky polarization (although they still are great for color saturation). I do occasionally miss having the split neutral density filter but if you shoot raw you can easily get back shadows and highlights in post. In short....the 15-30 rarely leaves my K-1. I use it as a wide angle workhorse and use my K-3 as a second body for everything else.
08-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
Both kindly thank you for your feedback. Since I have a 35mm prime and a 50mm I could probably sell my 24-70 and do with the 15-30, that's for sure.

08-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
I have holded off on buying the 15-30 as it is expensive, bulky and I am primarily a screw on filter user.
I have the 15-30 and I see what you mean. But the problem is not only with availability of the lens, it's also that screw on filter aren't great as ND grad, although srew on ND filter are Ok and cheaper.
But for someone wanting to use ND grads, square filter is a must: there come the problem with lenses wider than 24mm, they require 150mm filters not to have vignetting in the corners, unless the filter holder is custom made.
The Samyang 20mm has a 77m filter thread, shouldn't be a problem to use a set of round screw on CPL or ND filters, but stacking then may induce vignetting. Still does not solve the issue with cost / size if a 150mm filters system should be used. Also, the Samyang 20mm, 24mm and 35mm seems to be running out of stock for the K mount, + no stock until at least next October... I ordered one, it never came, I cancelled my order, I'll use the 15-30 instead.
08-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was on the same boat as you, Mattox. I gave up waiting and went the Zeiss route. There are also nice used Pentax lens out there. If you can find a K 20mm f4 grab it! It is a great lens and sometimes the results are indistinguishable from my Distagon 21mm.

I considered the 15-30 but I don't like the size/weight or the cost. At ultra wide angle landscape shooting, auto focus is almost irrelevant. And, I do use polarizing filters on wide lens and the ability to do so is critical to me.
08-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I was on the same boat as you, Mattox. I gave up waiting and went the Zeiss route. There are also nice used Pentax lens out there. If you can find a K 20mm f4 grab it! It is a great lens and sometimes the results are indistinguishable from my Distagon 21mm.

I considered the 15-30 but I don't like the size/weight or the cost. At ultra wide angle landscape shooting, auto focus is almost irrelevant. And, I do use polarizing filters on wide lens and the ability to do so is critical to me.

Thanks a tone for your feedback. It sounds like we are on the same path. The distagon 21 are almost impossible to find and when they are around cost a fortune. For my thoughts the M20 f4 used are around 400. I'd say it this stage to go for samyang 20mm or even the irix at 15mm which are new and optically built for modern sensors wouldn't you say?
08-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks a tone for your feedback. It sounds like we are on the same path. The distagon 21 are almost impossible to find and when they are around cost a fortune. For my thoughts the M20 f4 used are around 400€. I'd say it this stage to go for samyang 20mm or even the irix at 15mm which are new and optically built for modern sensors wouldn't you say?
You can find a used Distagon 21 with Nikon mount and have it converted to Pentax with a Leitax mount for less than the cost of a new 15-30. I did.

I'm afraid I don't buy into the "optically built for modern sensors" theory. My K 20mm was designed when digital sensors were merely science fiction and it does pretty well! It would be interesting, though, to see some comparisons between the Samyang and the Distagon.

08-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
You can find a used Distagon 21 with Nikon mount and have it converted to Pentax with a Leitax mount for less than the cost of a new 15-30. I did.

I'm afraid I don't buy into the "optically built for modern sensors" theory. My K 20mm was designed when digital sensors were merely science fiction and it does pretty well! It would be interesting, though, to see some comparisons between the Samyang and the Distagon.
It would indeed. I am afraid I can't fill you in on that. I do know however that my fa 35 f2 (that has been checked) is quite soft at all apertures compared to my dfa 24-70 @ 35mm, but this is just one example.
08-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both kindly thank you for your feedback. Since I have a 35mm prime and a 50mm I could probably sell my 24-70 and do with the 15-30, that's for sure.
You are most welcome. I also use the DA 12-24 on both the K-3 and K-1. On full frame it works from 18-24 with little corner darkening. It takes circular 77 mm filters and I use it when a filter is required (polarizer or split ND). It might be another option for you. It's a great solution if you use both FF and crop cameras.

Last edited by Pentax Syntax; 08-27-2017 at 11:02 AM.
08-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So, I am a heavy k1 user for landscapes primarily using the dfa 24-70 and older lenses, but lack a 15-20 range sooo much. I have holded off on buying the 15-30 as it is expensive, bulky and I am primarily a screw on filter user. I have been in contact with Ricoh and in response to providing a wide angle prime they have just answered "refer to the lens road map". Not knowing what to do, would users consider that I hold off a bit longer to see whether Ricoh comes up with a wide prime soon or go for an irix 15mm or samyang 20mm. The wait is painful and patient are raining thin, as is with others too I am sure
It looks like the 50mm and 85mm are the next Pentax primes to be released, but there is both an ultra-wide and a wide-angle prime roadmapped as well. If you don't want to go for the 15-30mm then I wouldn't hesitate picking up the Irix, because it will probably be at least a year before we see the first of the roadmapped Pentax wide-angles. I also believe the Irix is an amazing value for what it offers and it does take rear filters.

Another option would be the FA 20-35mm F4. Cheaper in terms of IQ and not as fast, but quite compact and it does take regular filters.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Having a good DFA 24-70mm f/2.8 is too versatile and valuable a tool to discard lightly! A very good say 18-35mm or 20-35mm lens would fill in the WA area nicely and not be as large, heavy, or expensive as the DFA 15-30mm lens. If you need to go as wide as 15mm or so, it would seem a very good prime lens is the answer, even if you also get the just-mentioned WA zoom. I have been reading good things about the Samyang models.
08-28-2017, 03:17 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Having a good DFA 24-70mm f/2.8 is too versatile and valuable a tool to discard lightly! A very good say 18-35mm or 20-35mm lens would fill in the WA area nicely and not be as large, heavy, or expensive as the DFA 15-30mm lens. If you need to go as wide as 15mm or so, it would seem a very good prime lens is the answer, even if you also get the just-mentioned WA zoom. I have been reading good things about the Samyang models.
Your right about that. Having said that the older 2 zooms are hard to find and expensive. Maybe a cheap priced irix may be the way to go until Pentax releases a new prime