Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LBA - housecleaning

Before I post a lot of stuff in the marketplace, figured I'd check over on this side first: I have a lot of lenses (well, I think it is a lot, I suppose some members have way more). There is a lot of overlap. And I tested them all out and only use a few. So it's time to do some housecleaning. Not on eBay, I prefer forum sales.

Anyway, I need to cut down to the minimum I will *actually* use. I would sell for no more than what I paid on eBay or in the forum.

Below is what I have that I rarely if ever use.

Pentax 15mm smc DA ED f/4
Pentax 21mm smc DA f/3.2
Pentax 40mm smc DA XS f/2.8
Asahi Pentax 50mm smc M f/1.4
Tamron 90mm AP AF Di f/2.8
Tamron 18-250mm LD DiII f/3.5-6.3
Pentax 18-55mm smc DAL f/3.5-5.6
Pentax 20-40mm smc DA ED f/2.8-4
Sigma 70-300mm DG Macro f/4-5.6

And these are ones I *do* use so these will be my core keepers:

Pentax 50mm smc DA f/1.8
Pentax 100mm smc-FA f/3.5
Pentax 10-17mm smc DA ED f/3.5-4.5
Pentax 18-135mm smc DA ED f/3.5-5.6
Pentax 55-300mm smc DA ED f/4-5.8

Almost all were impulse items (isn't that how LBA works?) due to praise on this forum (tsk tsk). e.g. yes the 20-40 is a fabulous lens. So are the 15 and 21. But I've used them once or twice and then put away. And I keep the M 50 1.4 out of sentiment but the ME Super is gone.

Looking for advice on which of these (the top list) would be appropriate for the marketplace. I am also wiling to be talked out of selling some due to not thinking through my overlap. The 20-40 in particular. It might be just plain dumb to get rid of that one.

Having unloaded my K-01, all I have left for bodies are my beloved red K-r and my new (used) blue K-30.

Thanks!

08-27-2017, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Before I post a lot of stuff in the marketplace, figured I'd check over on this side first: I have a lot of lenses (well, I think it is a lot, I suppose some members have way more). There is a lot of overlap. And I tested them all out and only use a few. So it's time to do some housecleaning. Not on eBay, I prefer forum sales.

Anyway, I need to cut down to the minimum I will *actually* use. I would sell for no more than what I paid on eBay or in the forum.

Below is what I have that I rarely if ever use.

Pentax 15mm smc DA ED f/4
Pentax 21mm smc DA f/3.2
Pentax 40mm smc DA XS f/2.8
Asahi Pentax 50mm smc M f/1.4
Tamron 90mm AP AF Di f/2.8
Tamron 18-250mm LD DiII f/3.5-6.3
Pentax 18-55mm smc DAL f/3.5-5.6
Pentax 20-40mm smc DA ED f/2.8-4
Sigma 70-300mm DG Macro f/4-5.6

And these are ones I *do* use so these will be my core keepers:

Pentax 50mm smc DA f/1.8
Pentax 100mm smc-FA f/3.5
Pentax 10-17mm smc DA ED f/3.5-4.5
Pentax 18-135mm smc DA ED f/3.5-5.6
Pentax 55-300mm smc DA ED f/4-5.8

Almost all were impulse items (isn't that how LBA works?) due to praise on this forum (tsk tsk). e.g. yes the 20-40 is a fabulous lens. So are the 15 and 21. But I've used them once or twice and then put away. And I keep the M 50 1.4 out of sentiment but the ME Super is gone.

Looking for advice on which of these (the top list) would be appropriate for the marketplace. I am also wiling to be talked out of selling some due to not thinking through my overlap. The 20-40 in particular. It might be just plain dumb to get rid of that one.

Having unloaded my K-01, all I have left for bodies are my beloved red K-r and my new (used) blue K-30.

Thanks!
I suggest pricing your stuff for what you think they are worth. Ebay completed sales helps as do KEH listing (subtract 20%). If something does not sell, mark it down. Remember that selling or promoting sales in the forums is not allowed.

Steve
08-27-2017, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Everything in your rare-if-ever is appropriate for the marketplace. If it goes on a Pentax camera, someone will snap it up eventually.

Consider a zoom trio - 10-17, 20-40, 55-300.

(The dedicated APS-C shooter who has the 21 and 40 does not IMO need the 20-40 and vice versa. When deciding what to get rid of, ask yourself: do you prefer the convenience and WR of the zoom, or the tiny profile that each of the primes has when fitted on an APS-C body?)
08-27-2017, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I love the 40mm XS so much I could never recommend getting rid of it. Not only is it a fast enough lens, but it's so compact that there's no reason for me not to having it with me in my camera bag. On a camera like the K-30, the 40mm XS makes for a nice compact and lightweight set up, almost like having a point and shoot but with all the flexibility of a DSLR.

Otherwise, best of luck. in downsizing

08-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Everything in your rare-if-ever is appropriate for the marketplace. If it goes on a Pentax camera, someone will snap it up eventually.

Consider a zoom trio - 10-17, 20-40, 55-300.

(The dedicated APS-C shooter who has the 21 and 40 does not IMO need the 20-40 and vice versa. When deciding what to get rid of, ask yourself: do you prefer the convenience and WR of the zoom, or the tiny profile that each of the primes has when fitted on an APS-C body?)
Yes, that is the issue. The 20-40 was nice while I had it on, but it seemed limited in a way. But the WR aspect is a good point- if I just keep that one on the K-30 body all the time, that solves one problem. Big blue weatherproof point and shoot.
08-27-2017, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My 21 and 40 limiteds were fantastic, but so is the 20-40 and it's far more flexible, so I sold the primes and have no regrets. Same with my old 18-135. I mostly used it for the long end and the DA*50-135 I picked up simply out-classes it.

Passing them along to someone who will use them is a far better use of the lenses than having them sitting in a drawer unused.
08-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
My 21 and 40 limiteds were fantastic, but so is the 20-40 and it's far more flexible, so I sold the primes and have no regrets. Same with my old 18-135. I mostly used it for the long end and the DA*50-135 I picked up simply out-classes it.

Passing them along to someone who will use them is a far better use of the lenses than having them sitting in a drawer unused.
You make a good point, but I really use the 18-135 a lot. And the price of the DA*50-135 is a bit out of reach for me.

---------- Post added 08-27-17 at 10:38 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Personally, I love the 40mm XS so much I could never recommend getting rid of it. Not only is it a fast enough lens, but it's so compact that there's no reason for me not to having it with me in my camera bag. On a camera like the K-30, the 40mm XS makes for a nice compact and lightweight set up, almost like having a point and shoot but with all the flexibility of a DSLR.

Otherwise, best of luck. in downsizing
I've never warmed up to the 40 XS. Not sure why. You make a good point about size in bag though.

---------- Post added 08-27-17 at 10:40 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suggest pricing your stuff for what you think they are worth. Ebay completed sales helps as do KEH listing (subtract 20%). If something does not sell, mark it down. Remember that selling or promoting sales in the forums is not allowed.

Steve

Yes, I pre-posted this just to see if I was thinking stuff through about overlap and interest. I will make sure I post sale items in the marketplace.

08-27-2017, 10:02 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know....if you have a DA 15mm and not using it, you are missing out on a lot of great photos
08-27-2017, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went the DA primes route and have (so far) resisted the 20~40. I lug around the old SMC 55~300 for convenience of zooming, but most of the time my feet work.
08-27-2017, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Aaaah now I'm going to have some fun in a "if I were you" list
Frankly, I'm a little dumbfounded... it looks like you're letting some of your best lenses go... I don't own many of those, so feel free to ignore my thoughts on the matter

(yes= I own it, no = I don't own the lens)

15mm f/4 (no), but contemplated the purchase a lot (then went the zoom way), and if I had it I would absolutely keep it
21mm f/3.2 (no), but I'd love the FoV just like the 15mm... I'd let it go grudgingly
40mm XS (yes) everywhere! go-to small-bag traveling kit : Sigma 10-20/3.5, the XS and maybe the SMC-M 100/2.8
50mm f/1.4 (no) a specialty lens, ok... maybe sell it
90mm (no) isn't this one a good macro lens? is the 100mm really better? just curious.
18-250mm (no) sell
18-55mm (yes) sell
20-40mm (no) I would love to have this one... how can you possible sell it? small, WR, a "prime with some zoom"...
70-300mm (no) sell

50mm f/1.8 (no) makes sense to keep it... also not worth much in terms of money but a lot photographically so...
100mm f/3.5 (no) makes sense to keep just one macro... don't know which one so I'll keep my mouth shut about it
10-17mm (no) as I said I own the Sigma 10-20mm... an UWA is unreplaceable so, yeah
18-135mm (no) that's a real Swiss Army knife... so ok to keep it
55-300mm (yes) your best option on the tele side, so ok

In short, I'd only sell the 21mm, the 50/1.4, the 18-250mm, the 18-55mm, the 70-300mm and one macro lens (not sure which one).
08-27-2017, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the same issue. I have collected more lenses over the years than I can possibly use. I have the DA Limiteds except for the 15. I rarely use them, I just keep a zoom on. On my K3 the 16-85 rarely comes off. Of the lenses you said our keepers, the 50 and 100 are very good ones. I have the 50, it came with my K3, and it impressed me alot. The 18-135 and 55-300 make a great walk around kit. It was my mainstay on my K50. The 10-17 is such a fun lens to use I will never sell mine. My advice is if you are not using them then why not sell them? Maybe there is another lens out there waiting for you. My 55-300 took the back shelf to the DA*60-250, especially after I sold my K50. I know myself that I need to stop being lazy and list the lenses I have just sitting in a drawer.
08-27-2017, 11:39 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

I would put your 'keepers' away and don't get them out again until you've used all the ones on your 'sell list', and you've used them a fair few times and tried to get some new interesting angles and perspectives with them! See if you gain anything, both enjoyment and in the photographic results.

That said, I can understand needing the 10-17 (so the 15mm can go), and assuming you keep the 20-40 (which I absolutely would!) then of course sell the 21 and 40. But the Tamron 90mm is surely worth keeping (I'd love one)
08-27-2017, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
I don't know....if you have a DA 15mm and not using it, you are missing out on a lot of great photos
Yeah, that is the problem, I ought to just do "one lens per day" shoots and see what I can't live without.

---------- Post added 08-27-17 at 13:50 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I would put your 'keepers' away and don't get them out again until you've used all the ones on your 'sell list', and you've used them a fair few times and tried to get some new interesting angles and perspectives with them! See if you gain anything, both enjoyment and in the photographic results.

That said, I can understand needing the 10-17 (so the 15mm can go), and assuming you keep the 20-40 (which I absolutely would!) then of course sell the 21 and 40. But the Tamron 90mm is surely worth keeping (I'd love one)
Yeah, good idea. I bought the Tam 90 before I got the Pentax 100, but I also snagged the 1:1 diopter for the Pentax 100 so I thought it *might* be better than the Tam.

---------- Post added 08-27-17 at 13:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Aaaah now I'm going to have some fun in a "if I were you" list
Frankly, I'm a little dumbfounded... it looks like you're letting some of your best lenses go... I don't own many of those, so feel free to ignore my thoughts on the matter

(yes= I own it, no = I don't own the lens)

15mm f/4 (no), but contemplated the purchase a lot (then went the zoom way), and if I had it I would absolutely keep it
21mm f/3.2 (no), but I'd love the FoV just like the 15mm... I'd let it go grudgingly
40mm XS (yes) everywhere! go-to small-bag traveling kit : Sigma 10-20/3.5, the XS and maybe the SMC-M 100/2.8
50mm f/1.4 (no) a specialty lens, ok... maybe sell it
90mm (no) isn't this one a good macro lens? is the 100mm really better? just curious.
18-250mm (no) sell
18-55mm (yes) sell
20-40mm (no) I would love to have this one... how can you possible sell it? small, WR, a "prime with some zoom"...
70-300mm (no) sell

50mm f/1.8 (no) makes sense to keep it... also not worth much in terms of money but a lot photographically so...
100mm f/3.5 (no) makes sense to keep just one macro... don't know which one so I'll keep my mouth shut about it
10-17mm (no) as I said I own the Sigma 10-20mm... an UWA is unreplaceable so, yeah
18-135mm (no) that's a real Swiss Army knife... so ok to keep it
55-300mm (yes) your best option on the tele side, so ok

In short, I'd only sell the 21mm, the 50/1.4, the 18-250mm, the 18-55mm, the 70-300mm and one macro lens (not sure which one).
Good choices. As far as macro, I assumed the Pentax was better than the Tam but maybe not, looking at the reviews. (8.8 vs 9.7)
08-27-2017, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Good choices. As far as macro, I assumed the Pentax was better than the Tam but maybe not, looking at the reviews. (8.8 vs 9.7)
Please, don't look at the scores... user reviews on this site are meant as an indication only... you'll find everything in the bunch... guys who have no photographical experience that buy a cheap lens and will go "OMG this is my first lense this is sooo good I give it a 10!!1!!1!" and more experienced guys buying the right stuff and giving a well thought out, reasonable appraisal (thus resulting in the cr*p lens being "better" than the good one).

You'll have to read between the lines...

Regarding those two, the Tamron has a good reputation, while I've never heard the other one, and it sure looks plasticky...

"The" 100mm macro from Pentax is another one... this one:
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
08-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Please, don't look at the scores... user reviews on this site are meant as an indication only... you'll find everything in the bunch... guys who have no photographical experience that buy a cheap lens and will go "OMG this is my first lense this is sooo good I give it a 10!!1!!1!" and more experienced guys buying the right stuff and giving a well thought out, reasonable appraisal (thus resulting in the cr*p lens being "better" than the good one).

You'll have to read between the lines...

Regarding those two, the Tamron has a good reputation, while I've never heard the other one, and it sure looks plasticky...

"The" 100mm macro from Pentax is another one... this one:
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
This one? Pentax 100mm smc-FA f/3.5

Not plasticy and I do like the 1:1 diopter (which I struggled to find, and got from a nice member here)