Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #31
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Keepers:

Pentax 15mm smc DA ED f/4
Pentax 50mm smc DA f/1.8 (used once a year for student photos at work, but nice 1.8 in case I need the light)
Pentax 10-17mm smc DA ED f/3.5-4.5
Pentax 20-40mm smc DA ED f/2.8-4
Pentax 18-135mm smc DA ED f/3.5-5.6
Pentax 55-300mm smc DA ED f/4-5.8
Tamron 90mm AP AF Di f/2.8
I could live well with this kit. Well, I wouldn't sell any of the primes, but since I'm a primes person you can safely ignore that advice Rationally, this covers every thing from wide to long, wide aperture with the 50 and 90, and macro with the 90. And reasonably fast wide angle with the wide end of the 20-40. Yes, not a bad kit at all.

08-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I could live well with this kit. Well, I wouldn't sell any of the primes, but since I'm a primes person you can safely ignore that advice Rationally, this covers every thing from wide to long, wide aperture with the 50 and 90, and macro with the 90. And reasonably fast wide angle with the wide end of the 20-40. Yes, not a bad kit at all.
I'm really having a hard time putting the 21 up for sale...

---------- Post added 08-28-17 at 15:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I think you've done a great job revising the list, and full marks for actually taking note and acting on the advice! I a really sure that it you take more time to go out and really work the lenses you are keeping, perhaps one at a time, that the resulting variety and extra interesting images will be the reward and you will appreciate the high quality collection you have there.

Now here's the first challenge ....lets see what you can do with your 20-40 set to the following focal lengths ....24 ... 29 .... 37. Yes, those are very good focal lengths, and you've got them all !
My website developer says his all time fave lens is a 24 (but he has a full-frame Nikon so ~ 35-40mm in the real world).
08-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #33
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm really having a hard time putting the 21 up for sale...
I don't blame you
QuoteQuote:
My website developer says his all time fave lens is a 24 (but he has a full-frame Nikon so ~ 35-40mm in the real world).
It's the other way around; your DA15 is very close in FoV to a 24mm on FF.
08-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't blame you
It's the other way around; your DA15 is very close in FoV to a 24mm on FF.
Ah, OK, I always get that confused. Thanks!

---------- Post added 08-28-17 at 15:29 ----------

I don't blame you
Contrary to popular demand (for the 21), I might just take the 20-40 and the 21 this weekend on 2 bodies and do a mass photo shoot of whatever piques my interest. If I find that the 21 is just the ticket for much of the shoot, then I'll hold it back... sorry folks!! (But I'll also keep the 20-40).

08-28-2017, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #35
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, OK, I always get that confused. Thanks!
Yep, "equivalence" is confusing - and not very useful, really.
08-28-2017, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #36
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Contrary to popular demand (for the 21), I might just take the 20-40 and the 21 this weekend on 2 bodies and do a mass photo shoot of whatever piques my interest. If I find that the 21 is just the ticket for much of the shoot, then I'll hold it back... sorry folks!! (But I'll also keep the 20-40).
Good plan I find the 21 to shine when used close up, and maybe not as good for landscapes (which was what I got it for...), but it might just be that my copy is a bit atypical.

The 20-40 I have never used.

Last edited by savoche; 08-28-2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Typo
08-29-2017, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Buying a DA 21 right now sounds great! And then I think about what else is going on with me lately, and the funds aren't there. Seems like it would be affordable on the used market if I get the SMC version. Maybe I keep putting pennies in the jar for a while longer and get a new HD version instead...

08-29-2017, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #38
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Buying a DA 21 right now sounds great! And then I think about what else is going on with me lately, and the funds aren't there. Seems like it would be affordable on the used market if I get the SMC version. Maybe I keep putting pennies in the jar for a while longer and get a new HD version instead...
When it comes to the 21 (and the 15) I'd actually prefer the SMC version due to its lovely starbursts. The HD version has rounded aperture blades that are not as well suited for that. For all the other DA Limiteds I'd go for the HD version if the price was roughly the same. The coating is a bit better, and here the rounded blades might help make a softer bokeh.

Last edited by savoche; 08-29-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Typo
08-29-2017, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with mcgregni. Your revised list is sensible. I am glad to see you are keeping your very useful DA 18-135mm as well as the super-fine DA 20-40mm Limited. It is a super-zoom. Like a 28-200mm lens on a FF body. In situations where you'll need to instantly go from WA to tele, that is its true purpose. For instance, if you are attending a back-yard party of friends and family, you can do group shots, or instantly zoom to get a candid portrait, or anything in between. It's a great tool for various situations, with very good IQ, and still compact. I value both of these lenses very highly.

As to the 21mm LTD, I've found I use it only when I need extra smallness since getting the 20-40mm LTD. It is handy for that, and just a good FL for general shooting with a prime. But it is not WR, and of course has not the versatile framing of the 20-40mm.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-29-2017 at 12:29 PM.
08-29-2017, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To reiterate another thought- you have some top-notch lenses. To realize their maximum potential, it is worth serious consideration to sell both your K-30 and your K-r and get a KP. You would have a camera body commensurate with the build quality of your Limited lenses, offering outstanding IQ, outstanding low-light/high ISO performance, and gain a host of practical features also, such as the handy, programable control set and pull-out rear screen. Its only drawback is weaker built-in flash power in terms of distance. But that can be extended by using higher ISO.

I would recommend the silver version, since it is distinctive among all the black bodies out there, and it looks great with black lenses, being that it is really silver and black. You might also consider eventually acquiring a DA 70mm Limited for a fast moderate-tele, super high-quality addition to your super high-quality compact kit. It also does come in silver. It is one of the Limited series' outstandingly sharp lenses across the frame at all apertures. This way you would have an extension of your kit's FL instead of duplication as is the case with the 21mm.
08-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
To reiterate another thought- you have some top-notch lenses. To realize their maximum potential, it is worth serious consideration to sell both your K-30 and your K-r and get a KP. You would have a camera body commensurate with the build quality of your Limited lenses, offering outstanding IQ, outstanding low-light/high ISO performance, and gain a host of practical features also, such as the handy, programable control set and pull-out rear screen. Its only drawback is weaker built-in flash power in terms of distance. But that can be extended by using higher ISO.

I would recommend the silver version, since it is distinctive among all the black bodies out there, and it looks great with black lenses, being that it is really silver and black. You might also consider eventually acquiring a DA 70mm Limited for a fast moderate-tele, super high-quality addition to your super high-quality compact kit. It also does come in silver. It is one of the Limited series' outstandingly sharp lenses across the frame at all apertures. This way you would have an extension of your kit's FL instead of duplication as is the case with the 21mm.

!!! Ah, now we are approaching *no go* territory! I see your point and do agree in theory, and I do realize my K-r and my K-30 are "beginners" cameras and the K-30 is a recent addition (used from KEH) so I haven't fully warmed up to it yet, but I do love my K-r - and honestly, it will not get me enough $ to even begin to be able to buy a KP. I'd have to sell ALL my lenses, or at least the limited ones...

The KP will have to be a wish list item.
08-29-2017, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As a counterpoint... My guestimate values for your sell list:

Pentax 21mm smc DA f/3.2 - $250
Pentax 40mm smc DA XS f/2.8 (I know, but I just have never warmed up to this thing) $100-150
Asahi Pentax 50mm smc M f/1.4 $100
Pentax 100mm smc-FA f/3.5 with 1:1 diopter - $150?
Tamron 18-250mm LD DiII f/3.5-6.3 - $150
Pentax 18-55mm smc DAL f/3.5-5.6 - $50
Sigma 70-300mm DG Macro f/4-5.6 - $150-200?

puts you pretty close to affording a KP outright, especially if you sell the K-R too. The K-30 is a great camera however, I still love mine and just wish I had a deeper buffer and wifi mainly.
08-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
As a counterpoint... My guestimate values for your sell list:

Pentax 21mm smc DA f/3.2 - $250
Pentax 40mm smc DA XS f/2.8 (I know, but I just have never warmed up to this thing) $100-150
Asahi Pentax 50mm smc M f/1.4 $100
Pentax 100mm smc-FA f/3.5 with 1:1 diopter - $150?
Tamron 18-250mm LD DiII f/3.5-6.3 - $150
Pentax 18-55mm smc DAL f/3.5-5.6 - $50
Sigma 70-300mm DG Macro f/4-5.6 - $150-200?

puts you pretty close to affording a KP outright, especially if you sell the K-R too. The K-30 is a great camera however, I still love mine and just wish I had a deeper buffer and wifi mainly.
I actually set them lower than those, for the most part. (And keeping the 21). Maybe I got good deals on eBay but I could not charge more than what I paid.

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 08-29-2017 at 03:43 PM.
08-29-2017, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP may drop further in price, while your other equipment basically remains pretty stable. Simply put aside a little savings account for it also. I've done that kind of thing. Your entire keeper lens kit is essentially a set of very good to excellent, yet compact lenses! Ideal for the likes of the unique KP. With its set of grips, handling should be excellent with any of them.

The KP is indeed a different animal from the usual design. But a beautiful one. My silver-body one I think is very classy. I adapt quite easily, because I come from a background of different designs, which are now "classics" like the MF days of the ME Super and before. The KP is somewhat reminiscent of such, being sort of a cross between those and current concepts. For instance, the front dial is vertical, so the grip area is more shallow, though you can attach a deeper grip. So there is an adjustment of sorts. But it is nice to be able to do things like quickly change the metering from standard-matrix to spot by using the extra dials instead of going to menu. My K-5 IIs has a dedicated control on-body, but then it is not as compact. I shoot with both, as well as my little K-S2, and find no trouble in adjusting to differences in design between them.

BTW, I did like my K-r. A nice-handling little camera for what it is. I used it often when I needed a smaller model with good low-light and general performance. But to some degree I did miss having the thumb and finger dial operation of my better models like the K-5 and K-20D, and their other better controls. I rarely if ever use any of the "scene" modes, which I still have on the K-5S.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-29-2017 at 04:26 PM.
08-31-2017, 02:42 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find the 21 to shine when used close up,
I agree!
I'd actually prefer the SMC version due to its lovely starbursts.
The DA version seems to do just fine, IMO:
[IMG][/IMG]