Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2017, 04:15 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never seen a lens design like this.

I have admired the work of a Japanese photographer, Musashi Yanase for some time. His flower photos have a different and decidely non-Western sensibility. Recently I started seeing images like this (500px embed does not seem to work so I'm using links.)

Lycoris by Masashi Yanase - Photo 225703357 / 500px

and like this

Photo by Masashi Yanase - Photo 220827927 / 500px

They were unusual enough that I thought I would look up the lens which I had never heard of, an Illuminar 25mm 1.4. There is nothing in English, only Japanese and when I finally got google translate to convert the site, the results were really astonishing. I've never seen or heard of a lens design like this, but what's not to like about sapphires, rubies and zircons. Anyway, a unique and extremely rare (the commercial site is not functioning) hand built product from Japan.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fs...4-c-mount.html
Seems to work on m43 but could probably be used on aps-c with corner loss.

Last edited by kernos; 08-27-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: bad link, again
08-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is wild. I guess ultimately it's just another example of a lens that isn't made of glass, but it's pretty much the opposite of a pinhole lens.
08-27-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is very cool. Could be adapted to the Q easily...
08-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very cool indeed!

08-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool and interesting, but sometimes pictures taken with such a novelty lens with unusual rendering can wear thin. "There he is posting another image taken with that strange lens." On the other hand, there are things that are less of a worry, such as flare, missed focus, soft corners, color fringing, vignetting, etc. etc.
08-28-2017, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Cool and interesting, but sometimes pictures taken with such a novelty lens with unusual rendering can wear thin. "There he is posting another image taken with that strange lens." On the other hand, there are things that are less of a worry, such as flare, missed focus, soft corners, color fringing, vignetting, etc. etc.
I have to agree. Years ago, I got hold of a cross screen filter that gave bright reflections off of a shiny surface a 'bling' quality. It was fun for a short while but once the novelty wore off, it got relegated to the bottom of my camera bag for the past 25 years or so.