Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

21mm hd da self-disassemble problem

Well my 21mm HD DA, which I bought in Nov. 2015 finally self-disassebled. My favorite lens, I had read about this problem in the pre-HD model but thought it was solved. First it couldn't focus, I took the lens off the camera, and it just came apart in my hands. Since it's my favorite lens, I treated it with tender care. No bumps, drops, perfect storage etc.

I called a fellow Pentaxian, who had a substantial collection of lenses that he often sells off to buy the latest gear. And he tells me that his 21mm HD limited edition also self-disassembled a year and a half after he bought it. And he rarely used it. Considering the negative reports I've received about Pentax repair (here and from friends) I have lost my favorite lens. Just wanted to inform my fellow Pentaxians about this problem that continues. By the way my friend with the other suicidal 21mm HD lens used it only 6 times since he had bought a wider lens soon after his purchase of the 21mm.

08-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Homer Eames Quote
Well my 21mm HD DA, which I bought in Nov. 2015 finally self-disassebled. My favorite lens, I had read about this problem in the pre-HD model but thought it was solved. First it couldn't focus, I took the lens off the camera, and it just came apart in my hands. Since it's my favorite lens, I treated it with tender care. No bumps, drops, perfect storage etc.

I called a fellow Pentaxian, who had a substantial collection of lenses that he often sells off to buy the latest gear. And he tells me that his 21mm HD limited edition also self-disassembled a year and a half after he bought it. And he rarely used it. Considering the negative reports I've received about Pentax repair (here and from friends) I have lost my favorite lens. Just wanted to inform my fellow Pentaxians about this problem that continues. By the way my friend with the other suicidal 21mm HD lens used it only 6 times since he had bought a wider lens soon after his purchase of the 21mm.
Precision should be able to fix it for you. I wouldn't write this off just because others have had bad experiences- may others have had good ones

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's a fairly trivial repair and caused by loosening screws due to threadlocker failure on the inner focus ring. Pretty much anyone other than Precison will be cheaper and just as effective a repair, since no extra parts are needed.

Last edited by dcshooter; 08-28-2017 at 06:33 AM.
08-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

my copy stopped focusing and I sent it in for service before it came apart - Advance Camera did the work for me and the lens has been perfect ever since...

08-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Happened to me, fixed it myself.

Look here. Need HELP DA21 Self-Disassembled! - PentaxForums.com

Do be careful not to bend the little metal brush contacts.
08-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It's a fairly trivial repair and caused by loosening screws due to threadlocker failure on the inner focus ring.
And I guess DA 35 macro and 70 might have similar problem? My 35 macro is almost there, it can not focus to infinity now.