Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #1

Third Party Lens Compatibility - M42 Mount

After re-immersing myself into the Spotmatic and successors, I have a question which I haven't been able to answer.

A lot of the third party manufacturers made lenses either with permanent M42 mounts, or adapters.

However, none that I've seen ever state whether they offer the functionality of the SMC lenses, which allow wide open metering with the ES-II.

Does anyone know of any third party lenses which are compatible in this respect? Absent a direct answer, is there a database with these data?

08-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt any do, honestly. Different manufacturers had different methods of open-aperture metering, which were generally incompatible.
08-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma made an ES version of the YS adapter. But YS lenses are pretty obscure. I have a 135/2.8 Accura Diamatic...

YS Interchangeable Adapter Mounts, Y-S lens mount
08-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vivitar TX mount had a Pentax ES/Spotmatic F adapter as well. TX lenses will work with T4 adapters but TX adapters won't generally work with T4 lenses...

08-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses also has a corresponding ES adapter. I got mine with a used 35-70/3.5 but I am not using it now as it seems my SP F needs a CLA and I can't find anyone in China who can do it.

通过我的 Nexus 6P 上的 Tapatalk发言
08-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

As mentioned above Sigma (YS adapters), Tamron (Adaptall adapters) and Vivitar (TX adapters) had lenses (interchangeable adapters) that would function with the ES/F mount. Some of the Sigma lenses (XQ) had adapters that were permanently fixed. To change these to another mount required factory work.

The Sigma YS lenses can be found under a number of names: Sigma, Sun, Spiratone, Rokunar, Accura, Lentar, Upsilon. These lenses will have YS on the front ring. The YS mount is basically a T-mount with a connection to the aperture of the camera. Thus any YS lens can be used with a T-mount but loses all open aperture functionality. Nice if you don't have the proper YS mount and don't mind metering in stop down mode.

The YS lenses aren't necessarily the best. You can find them easily enough but ES/F adapters are hard to find and some of them are aperture specific (if you have a f2.8 lens you need the specific f2.8 adapter). If you are looking for third party lenses then the Tamron (Adaptall) ones (they are more modern) would be my first choice followed by the Vivitar (TX).
08-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pendennis Quote
Does anyone know of any third party lenses which are compatible in this respect?
As noted above, the Tamron Adaptall-2 ES mount supports the extensive list of Tamron Adaptall-2 and SP lenses and provides full emulation of the S-M-C/SMC mount.

Steve
08-29-2017, 06:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The meter on my ESII doesn't work, so I don't have to be concerned about about whether I get open aperture metering, but it is interesting to read about it. Incidentally, my m42 Tamron adaptall-2 adapter is one for the Fujica-ST version of the m42 screw mount. It's pin or other gizmo that links with the ST metering system, doesn't interfere with mounting on my ESII, and it was way cheaper than a Pentax m42 adaptall-2 ring. I have a Mamiya SX 200mm lens that mounts on the ESII despite it having a similar pin. The pin prevents completely screwing the lens onto a Pentax DSLR with m42 adapter, I could remove the Mamiya pin, but what if I get a Mamiya SZ body sometime?

08-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #9

I thought auto M42 lenses all used a simple pin on the back. when the pin is pressed in (or the lens is switched to M) the lens goes to the preset aperture. The rest of the time the lens remains wide open.

Some auto M42 lenses don't have the A/M switch, so need the pin pressed in to get to the set aperture (Some adapters have a ring to keep the pin pressed in)
Other M42 lenses don't have the auto facility at all - some of these have a double aperture ring. One of these rings setting the desired aperture, and the other actually moving the aperture blades from wide open to the position preset on the first ring.

AFAIK the stop down pin on all auto M42 lenses are compatible.
08-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dConvert Quote
I thought auto M42 lenses all used a simple pin on the back. when the pin is pressed in (or the lens is switched to M) the lens goes to the preset aperture. The rest of the time the lens remains wide open.

Some auto M42 lenses don't have the A/M switch, so need the pin pressed in to get to the set aperture (Some adapters have a ring to keep the pin pressed in)
Other M42 lenses don't have the auto facility at all - some of these have a double aperture ring. One of these rings setting the desired aperture, and the other actually moving the aperture blades from wide open to the position preset on the first ring.

AFAIK the stop down pin on all auto M42 lenses are compatible.
That is correct. However, there are several M42 variations that are designed for open-aperture metering, which generally requires some sort of slide that tells that type of camera how far the aperture is set, for the purpose of light metering.

I don't think any of these open-aperture metering systems were compatible.
08-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
That is correct. However, there are several M42 variations that are designed for open-aperture metering, which generally requires some sort of slide that tells that type of camera how far the aperture is set, for the purpose of light metering.

Ah, yes. I don't think any of mine fit that class.

08-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote

The Mamiya SX m42 lenses have the normal stop down pin that pushes in to close down the aperture. The one I have doesn't have an auto-manual switch, though, but if the camera has a stop-down switch on it, then one can manually meter after activating it. However, the lens has another short fixed pin that rotates with the aperture ring, I assume this is to tell a Mamiya SX body what aperture to adjust the metering value for. On my ESII, that second pin rotates in the air just beyond the rim of the body's lens mount, which protrudes slightly from the front of the body.
08-29-2017, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ES/F mount...

Name:  5507256966_3a19d6802b_o.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  91.8 KB
08-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks, folks, for some great information as always. I have two SMC's that fill the bill, and a 28mm f3.5 SMC is due in my hot little grubbies tomorrow. I also found a Vivitar TX adaptor on eBay, and it should be here by the weekend. Now, all I need to do, is decide which Vivitar TX's will fill the bill.
12-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #15

The best place to send an ES or ESII camera for repairs is Eric Hendrickson:

Eric Hendrickson
PO Box 70612
Knoxville, TN 37938

Before sending any cameras in for repairs, EMAIL Eric first to see what his backlog is!

pentaxrepairs@aol.com

Eric has repaired 4 (yes FOUR!) ES II bodies for me. He can fix meter problems!

My ESII bodies:

All the ESII cameras - Asahi Pentax in black & chrome & Honeywell Pentax in black & chrome.