Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #16
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
As long as nobody provides evidence for such a claim, I refuse to believe

CA is a lens, not a sensor artifact.
Falconeye,

I remembered that I found this feature in some Nikon gear. It's not "per se" a sensor function (maybe the microlenses could help but I am not an expert) but could be a sensor-image pipeline characteristics.

Nikon D300 review Cameralabs features: sensor and processing

excerpt: "Image processing is taken care of by Nikons new EXPEED processor, which not only races through data to provide a very quick handling experience, but also includes a number of tricks. First is the automatic removal or at least reduction in optical chromatic aberrations, best recognised as purple fringing. This correction is applied automatically to all JPEG and TIFF files whether you like it or not, but not to RAW files, which gives us a chance to make a comparison."

So, IN THEORY, this is doable (maybe for the RAW too if one choses so) and for example my DA* doesn't exibit the very bad CA I saw from some K10Ds @ 16mm.

Just MHO,
Radu

08-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited macro - Review / Test Report

not as positive as mike/carl's photo.net review

and "Like many other recent Pentax lenses it is also available as a Tokina variant for Nikon and Canon DSLRs." is true how could pentax allow that? the tokina is much bigger, but its existence totally kills any incentive this lens might have sparked for people to look at the pentax system. d'oh!
Yes, but how about the SMC?
08-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
the cautionary statement that Purple Fringing (a form of CA) is influenced by both lens and sensor design.
Yes. I believe an early Sony P&S had this problem. BTW, the K20D 21fps burst mode images have this problem, too. In general, though, those problems don't exist anymore and can be ruled out as a source of difference between K10D/K20D.

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
excerpt: "Image processing is taken care of by Nikons new EXPEED processor, which not only races through data to provide a very quick handling experience, but also includes a number of tricks. First is the automatic removal or at least reduction in optical chromatic aberrations, best recognised as purple fringing. [...]
Radu, I'm glad you responded. As it tells us you mean't something else. You're right, some embedded JPG engines take care about CA. But not so for Pentax. BTW, it isn't doable for RAW as it requires demosaicing -- which mustn't be done in-camera or the format would be rendered obsolete.

In summary: CA is the same for K10D and K20D (in m, even stronger in pixels, of course...)
08-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pl Jensen Quote
Well corrected optics, like almost all macro lenses, show "busy" bokeh.
Ca: I think it is due to design philosophies among lens designers. Pentax aparently don't think CA is that important and make other priorities. I think they are correct...
FA100/2.8 macro would be an exception based on my experience. In fact I think it has nicer bokeh than the FA77.

08-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

i wonder if the discrepancy could be accounted for by the camera used? Klaus uses a K10d (like me), but i think carl and mike both use a k20d. would that make such a big difference?
You hit the nail on the head. When I received the K20D and 35 Ltd to test just before the launch of the K20D, the output was outstanding.

Ben
08-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Klaus says it doesn't :P
but it's tough for Klaus because he cannot just start using the K20D on all his tests because they would no longer be comparable to the past ones
08-23-2008, 02:28 AM   #22

Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited macro - Review / Test Report

not as positive as mike/carl's photo.net review

and "Like many other recent Pentax lenses it is also available as a Tokina variant for Nikon and Canon DSLRs." is true how could pentax allow that? the tokina is much bigger, but its existence totally kills any incentive this lens might have sparked for people to look at the pentax system. d'oh!
Except there is no Tokina version. It's a similar lens, as happens across all brands, but this lens is Pentax.

The Online Photographer: Pentax 35mm DA Macro...Tokina Variant?

Not sure it makes a great deal of difference either way.
08-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #23
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with Klaus's opinion. It's the weakest LIMITED which I ever used.
The resolution is lower than FA35, FA31, FA43. Bokeh is too standart, in some situation a bit strange and no good. Good lens, but not outstanding.
To put standart lens to metal is not enough to be LIMITED. As MACRO DA35 is good. But it's all...
No any art and any mystic in picture.
My first opinion - it's Tokina lens, first of all. I don't see Pentax hand in picture.
I sold DA35 without any regret and bought FA*24/2.
My FA43 beats DA35 in any aspects.

08-23-2008, 04:36 AM   #24
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I am sure that DA 35 Macro shines on a K20D much more than on K10D and we have countless members with this combo here.

And for example DA* 16-50 has noticable less CA on a K20D than on a K10D.

Radu
Is it new Pentax fans myth? See DA35 + K20D

DA 35/2.8 lim - g8org - - iXBT
08-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #25
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I have the K20D+DA35 and I think photozone.de got it correct.

I LOVE the DA35 on my K20D, the resolution and detail is just stunning for images taken over a short distance. Crop into at 1:1 and you got a 50x microscope!

Nevertheless, in standard situations, I find that it is slightly outperformed by a DA40 and significantly outperformed by a FA31 or Zeiss. The photozone.de ratings (3.5, 4.0 and 4.5) are all very good but rank them into the same order.

As photozone.de doesn't have a Macro rating, their verdict is correct but misses the point that the DA35 may be the greatest Macro lens money can buy.
+1. It's very good MACRO lens, but too short for macro...))

I disagree that this lens is great. Simply good and standart.

Last edited by ogl; 08-23-2008 at 04:48 AM.
08-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I sold DA35 without any regret and bought FA*24/2.
My FA43 beats DA35 in any aspects.
What is your take on Fa* 24/2 comparing to Da 35mm ltd macro?

I personally think Fa* 24/2 has tremendous surprisingly good bokeh wide open while I dislike the lens stopping down to f8 (dull, boring and lacking contrast)
08-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #27
ogl
Pentaxian

FA*24 and DA35 are different lenses. it's hard to compare.
FA*24 is wide-angle. DA35 = 53 mm - standart focus distance.
As for bokeh, I can say that FA*24 has very good bokeh wide open (f2-f3.5) although it's wide lens. I will post examples later. I don't see any weakness. The lens works with shadows very good, i can't explain this phenomenon. And has very good resistance to flares.
The landscapes even at f2 are not bad. Seriously. The corners YES a bit weak. But, from f4 - very good. But, it's interesting to use f2 at 24 mm for some art photos.

Anyway, Pentax has only two primes now for wide-angle - DA14 and DA21.
Hope that DA15 limited will be very good.
08-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks for the feedback.

For me, it is the overall look that counts. Both lenses to me are not wide at all. Fa* 24mm f2 is dissapointing for landscape stopping down (for me)
08-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
+1. It's very good MACRO lens, but too short for macro...))
I disagree that this lens is great. Simply good and standart.
Many say it is short for a Macro. I agree that Macros are longer, conventionally (50 and 100). Also, insects are harder to catch, agreed.

However, at 1:1, a 35mm Macro has a 70mm focal length, or 105 FF equivalent focal length. This is a tele lens! Longer than this, it becomes an extreme tele with strong perspective compression and more reduced DoF. Not ideal at all to capture the world of the small.

Actually, a "normal" APS-C Macro would have to be 14mm! (assuming focal length = sensor diagonal is normal).

I think it has been for technical reasons that 1:1 Macros have been longer focal in the past and aren't even shorter now. I welcome the progress the DA35 brings into the world of Macro lenses.