Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I searched three pages of listings but didn't find what I wanted to know.

On the Pentax FA 100-300mm Black version, there is a switch on the side of the barrel. What are these settings for? There is a button that pushes, there is a switch that moves from P A>AS. The switch slides to P but trying to slide to AS but never stays there if I release the switch and the button doesn't seem to do anything about changing either position.

And I read on this forum that an FA lens can be set as MF though there is no switch t change from AF to MF.

Also as you should know, I'm sure you all do, that this a power zoom lens.

08-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #2

Could the AS be the aperture preview?
08-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is to switch between different power zoom modes. It is usually missing...It only works on PZ series cameras anyway, later cameras just allowed basic power zoom.
08-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't that the power zoom switch? Never owned one myself so I'm not sure but some FA lenses had a power zoom feature. Not sure if any modern cameras will make that function as I think the power zoom contacts were morphed into the SDM contacts for autofocus.

08-31-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
On the Pentax FA 100-300mm Black version, there is a switch on the side of the barrel. What are these settings for? There is a button that pushes, there is a switch that moves from P A>AS. The switch slides to P but trying to slide to AS but never stays there if I release the switch and the button doesn't seem to do anything about changing either position.

And I read on this forum that an FA lens can be set as MF though there is no switch t change from AF to MF.

Also as you should know, I'm sure you all do, that this a power zoom lens.
Those buttons are useless on all but a few film cameras, but here's some info on what they're for:

Pentax Lens Power Zoom

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, that explanation was it in a nutshell. I sold my K10D I had left so I use it without activating the power zoom function with my other cameras.
08-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks Adam, that explanation was it in a nutshell. I sold my K10D I had left so I use it without activating the power zoom function with my other cameras.
What are you shooting with now? Basic PZ works on all flagship models (K-5, K-3, K-1 etc).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have a K-50, K-30 x 2, and K-x. As we know none of those work with the power zoom.
08-31-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One good feature of the old Pentax power zoom system was that AF is activated as you power-zoom the lens to the framing you want, so by the time you get your framing, the subject is already in focus! It makes for extra-fast AF in a zoom lens. Pentax Power-Zoom as conceived back in the mid-1990's was ahead of its time. Today, with a fast, quiet AF system, it would be functionally much better.
08-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I searched three pages of listings but didn't find what I wanted to know
I'm glad you've found your answer now. For future reference, search works much better when the subject of the threads reflects the subject of the content...If the subject here was "FA 100-300 switch" or similar, then future searchers would be able to find the answer much more easily.
08-31-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
One good feature of the old Pentax power zoom system was that AF is activated as you power-zoom the lens to the framing you want, so by the time you get your framing, the subject is already in focus! It makes for extra-fast AF in a zoom lens. Pentax Power-Zoom as conceived back in the mid-1990's was ahead of its time. Today, with a fast, quiet AF system, it would be functionally much better.
Well, on my K-50 or K-30 this lens is a piece of junk. I tried using it just as a zoom lens on both of my cameras and everything I shot, was OOF. That's why I asked about the switch if it could be set to MF as then I'd be able to use CIF. I appreciate the input but I am not a beginner photographer, eh.

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I'm glad you've found your answer now. For future reference, search works much better when the subject of the threads reflects the subject of the content...If the subject here was "FA 100-300 switch" or similar, then future searchers would be able to find the answer much more easily.
Thanks for the input. I should have used the word Switch, you're right about that and since I did get my answer, that's now kind of a moot point. LOL
08-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, on my K-50 or K-30 this lens is a piece of junk.
The non-power zoom version has a much better reputation...
08-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The non-power zoom version has a much better reputation...
Are you talking about the F version? Because I owned that one at one time, and sold it just before I moved from Texas.

Or this one?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-100-300mm-F4.7-5.8-Zoom-Lens.html
08-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That one.
08-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Ben. I bought the F version back in 2000 when I bought my ZX-5n and at that time I was informed the FA version had better optics. And that's why I bought this one I have now not knowing it was the non-zoom I needed. Well, what can I say, live and learn, eh.

Now I'll be looking for that one above. Perhaps I can sell this one to someone who can use the power zoom on their camera, one I don't own that others have told me work well with it.