Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is distortion normal - Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR Lens ?

Hi Folks,

I have just purchased the above lens ahead of a trip to California and Yosemite National park, in particular.

First shots on my K1 have been a little lack lustre wide open at 15mm, although it is probably me needing to get used to the lens. Stopped down to f9, the sharpness improves, but I am finding significant distortion (see attached link) which even Lightroom 6 with the appropriate lens adjustment doesn't fix.

Dropbox - DFA 15-30

Am I to expect such distortion at wide angle or do I have a problem lens? If the distortion is normal, are there any tricks to correcting it; for a AUD1,500 lens, it is a little disappointing.

Thanks for your help

rgds,
John S

09-03-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi John. I have just read the in-depth review, and at 15mm it is quite a lot. Here is the link for you to read. Hopefully the others can chime in with a PP fix for you. Good luck.

HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
09-03-2017, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frankoz Quote
Am I to expect such distortion at wide angle or do I have a problem lens?
Have you ever used other ultra wide angle lenses?
Come on, it is 15mm and f2.8, you should expect some distortion.

It is very doubtful that your copy has more distortion than it should have, but feel free to compare to the review and user reviews:
HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
HD Pentax-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Reviews - D FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax Camera & Lens Sample Photo Search Engine - PentaxForums.com

Of course, distortion is something that can be really exaggerated or minimized with perspective. Keep the camera level and straight and the distortion will not be as noticeable

However, read up on decentering. This is an issue that is more common with ultra wide lenses. It is not the same as distortion, but it can affect image quality. I have not read many cases of this being a problem with DFA 15-30mm, but check it out. The easiest test is to check if the corners or edges of the photo have consistent quality. If one half of the photo or one corner just never gets sharp, then decentering might be an issue there. But you have to do tests. In good daylight, Av mode, near minimum focus distance, place newspapers to cover frame, right on the focus line, then check the frame for quality. DoF will be shallow, and DoF is usually curved, not flat (so if you focus on a brick wall in the centre, the edges will likely be out of focus, this is normal)
09-03-2017, 05:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes they do show distortion on the wide end, especially on full frame vs. aps-c. APS_C crops the corners.
When I want that Wide Vista look I use a normal focal length lens, shoot Portrait, and create a Panorama.
A good Pano program will stitch it quickly and output a Wide view without the distortions.

09-03-2017, 05:57 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Frank. I recognised those shots as being from Glenelg even before I looked at your details

15mm is bloody wide for a rectilinear full frame lens. Distortion at the peripheries is par for the course, and for f/2.8 the sharpness looks excellent. Your images look entirely as expected to me. You will struggle to find a better ultra-wide in the Pentax ecosystem.

One thing to look out for: at intermediate shutter speeds (1/60 to 1/250), shutter shock can cause the SR mechanism to introduce some paradoxical motion artefact. Unless the shutter speed is really low I get better hand held results with this lens when SR is turned OFF. Check it on a tripod.
09-03-2017, 06:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use DA 12-24, which at wide end shows similar distortion. As Sandy mentioned, 15mm (on FF) is really wide, and visible distortion is unavoidable.
09-03-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks perfectly normal to me. I don't have the 15-30, but I have a 10-20 that pretty much looks the same (although not as sharp) on APS-C. It just takes some time getting used to and figuring out what to do and not do to get good results. Keeping your camera straight and the focal plane as parallel to the subject as possible help minimise the distortions.

09-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much to all who have replied. I will read up a bit more.
I have had experience with the DA 10-17mm and love the fisheye effect. On the K1 its good from about 14mm but not as sharp as the 15-30, nor as bright obviously. I will check out decentering also.

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2017 at 12:15 AM ----------

I also need to test corner sharpness a little more

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2017 at 12:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Hi Frank. I recognised those shots as being from Glenelg even before I looked at your details

15mm is bloody wide for a rectilinear full frame lens. Distortion at the peripheries is par for the course, and for f/2.8 the sharpness looks excellent. Your images look entirely as expected to me. You will struggle to find a better ultra-wide in the Pentax ecosystem.

One thing to look out for: at intermediate shutter speeds (1/60 to 1/250), shutter shock can cause the SR mechanism to introduce some paradoxical motion artefact. Unless the shutter speed is really low I get better hand held results with this lens when SR is turned OFF. Check it on a tripod.
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the reply; glad to see a local Pentax user. There are a few of us.

You obviously know the Bay fairly well.

I had read about shutter shock and will try mirror up and SR off on tripod.

I guess from a distortion point of view, I have the DA 10-17mm which I used a lot on my K3. I expect distortion on this lens but have been surprised how well LR6 takes care of it, even at 10mm.

I don't know what I expected but for the money, the distortion is more than I bargained for. LR6 is not doing much in correction.

Anyway, thanks for your comments; I will let you know how I go in Yosemite.

Rgds,
John
09-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #9

I find this distortion can add to the creativity of a photo. Some times it does not. Then there are tilt / shift software programs that can correct this distortion. As you can see wide angle lenses make vertical elements in architectural photography lean. More so if the camera is aimed up or down. I have used a free program call ShiftN to straighten the vertical elements. Some of the picture will be cropped when using this so compose your images a bit wide.
09-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's more the "wide angle" PoV rather than the distortion that's obvious. The distortion is rather low IMO.
09-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frankoz Quote
I am finding significant distortion (see attached link) which even Lightroom 6 with the appropriate lens adjustment doesn't fix.
Can you do a custom correction of the geometric distortion instead?

I've had problems with the automatic vignetting correction of my DA 20-40 at the long end,
and have found that I can do better manually with the custom correction (in Photoshop).

As it happens, I was just watching Nolan's "Interstellar",
and I couldn't help noticing the geometric distortion
on the wide-angle shots of the interior of the farmhouse.
So if you can't get the corrections done,
just pretend that it's for artistic effect!
09-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The tested linear distortion is quite high, but to be expected from a zoom lens going this wide. Of your three examples, however, the one on the right appears to exhibit perspective distortion, which even with a low-linear-distortion WA lens is going to occur under certain circumstances, angles, etc. Even with this degree of linear distortion, it is not generally visible in most shots, such as nature scenes, but can be visible where there are straight lines involved, causing the lines to appear curved.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-04-2017 at 10:24 AM.
09-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Comparing a fisheye to a rectilinear UWA is not really fair - it is precisely the *lack* of barrel distortion of the latter that produces the wild corners. Use it creatively as others have pointed out.
09-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Judging from the reviews of the Tamron 15-30, distortion at 15mm is there, but tolerable. On par with other ultra-wide zooms.

(from the lenstip review of Tamron 15-30)

It will have some impact on corner sharpness though, particularly wide open.
09-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You must not have much experience of ultra wides on full frame, Frank?

Looking at DXO, the mighty Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 has similar distortion. Less at 15mm, but more vignetting as a tradeoff.

The dedicated Samyang 14mm prime has similar distortion.

So, it's par for the course, your technique and framing will need to be up to shooting UWA.

Use the horizontal/vertical level lines in the viewfinder!