Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2017, 05:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I love my Sigma 12-24 EX DG, and it is FF.
Me, too! It's crazy-wide and rectilinear.

09-04-2017, 06:11 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
MF: Zeiss ... m42 mount
The 15/2.8 and new 18/2.8 are currently available as "Interlock" industrial-style lenses:

ZEISS Interlock Lenses | Automated Imaging

---------- Post added 09-04-17 at 08:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gedeon Quote
i've a Zeiss 18mm zk. Just an amazing piece.
The classic 18/3.5.

My only frustration with that lens is the rather long MFD (30cm),
but that's after being spoiled by the 25/2.8.
09-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #18
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I presume you are excluding fisheye lenses's, but:

-- On reduced sensor camera the FF fisheye defished (w/ Fisheye Hemi) is better IMO than non-fisheye--and significantly wider. I would assume the same is true using them on FF camera.

-- FF (viable) Fisheye's by Pentax include the Takumar 17mm f/4 and PK-A 16 mm f/2.8.** [I have the latter and use it extensively as my wide angle lens w/ Fisheye Hemi.]
_____
** and the zoom already mentioned above.
09-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Tokina 20-35 2.8 and 3.5-4.5, both af.
Laowa 15mm f4 macro
Samyang 20 1.8

---------- Post added 09-04-17 at 10:59 AM ----------

I believe new Irix 11mm f4 would have a k mount option too

09-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here are some further questions...and comments...

The Pentax DA15mm on a crop camera has a FOV of 77* horizontal
The 20mm on a FF has a FOV of 84* horizontal
The Irix 15mm on a FF has a FOV of 100* horizontal
The Irix 11mm on a FF will have roughly 115* horizontal (estimate/rough guess)

The Irix 15mm is 23* wider than the DA15mm! That's 30% wider than the DA15mm!! That's crazy!

At this point I am leaning towards something in the FF 15mm range or the 20mm range but that yet to be released 11mm could be just insane. Right now 20mm is winning for a few reasons.

I have rarely shot ultra wide before but I am getting the urge to try it again. Before I owned the DA15mm and the Tamron 10-24.

The Irix 15mm on paper is about as wide (roughly) as the 10-24mm was at 10mm. IIRC at that mark the Tamron had quite a bit of distortion.

Given I don't have a lot of experience with the Ultra Wide does anyone have any opinions to offer up?

So far the reason why the FA 20mm is winning is because of size and auto focus. I could throw that in my bag and not even know it's there. The Samyang version though is nearly twice the weight. All that said both are STILL wider than the DA15mm.

Honestly I feel like I would probably use the 20mm focal length more. Plus it would not be a huge burden to carry (I travel a lot) and it's fast enough. I have one manual focus lens and yes I like it but I am not completely sold on manual focus yet. Yes I don't mind it but no it hasn't grown on me all the way yet.

I am not totally sold yet on the "so wide I can't stand it" wide... I mean yes I would give it a go but I don't recall ever quite falling in love with the 10mm end of the Tamron or really knowing what to do with it.

I am trying to think the through the process here and so far all roads lead to the FA20mm so far. That being said I really am interested in hearing how people shoot with the reeeeally wide lenses.
09-12-2017, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote

The Irix 15mm is 23* wider than the DA15mm! That's 30% wider than the DA15mm!! That's crazy!

At this point I am leaning towards something in the FF 15mm range or the 20mm range but that yet to be released 11mm could be just insane. Right now 20mm is winning for a few reasons.

I have rarely shot ultra wide before but I am getting the urge to try it again. Before I owned the DA15mm and the Tamron 10-24.

The Irix 15mm on paper is about as wide (roughly) as the 10-24mm was at 10mm. IIRC at that mark the Tamron had quite a bit of distortion.

Given I don't have a lot of experience with the Ultra Wide does anyone have any opinions to offer up?

So far the reason why the FA 20mm is winning is because of size and auto focus. I could throw that in my bag and not even know it's there. The Samyang version though is nearly twice the weight. All that said both are STILL wider than the DA15mm.

Honestly I feel like I would probably use the 20mm focal length more. Plus it would not be a huge burden to carry (I travel a lot) and it's fast enough. I have one manual focus lens and yes I like it but I am not completely sold on manual focus yet. Yes I don't mind it but no it hasn't grown on me all the way yet.

I am not totally sold yet on the "so wide I can't stand it" wide... I mean yes I would give it a go but I don't recall ever quite falling in love with the 10mm end of the Tamron or really knowing what to do with it.

I am trying to think the through the process here and so far all roads lead to the FA20mm so far. That being said I really am interested in hearing how people shoot with the reeeeally wide lenses.
I do like UW for its melodrama, Alamo. I took this at the weekend with the Sigma 12-24 I've had for about a month.

Pinholecam has travelled on bike with the K-1, FA20, FA31 and FA77, BTW.

09-13-2017, 02:37 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I do like UW for its melodrama, Alamo. I took this at the weekend with the Sigma 12-24 I've had for about a month.

Pinholecam has travelled on bike with the K-1, FA20, FA31 and FA77, BTW.
I just feel sorry for people caught at the edge of an ultrawide. Their lives will never be the same again.

09-13-2017, 03:09 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just feel sorry for people caught at the edge of an ultrawide. Their lives will never be the same again.
I'm not sure how buildings survive the mangling the lens does to them either!
09-13-2017, 03:12 AM   #24
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Tamron did an AF 14mm f2.8 lens also, the 69E...
09-13-2017, 05:43 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Your concern is not misplaced.

Like clackers, I have the Sigma 12-24 which I bought 9 years ago for the K-10D, also used on the K-5, and really really enjoyed on APS-C. Now, on the K-1, 12 mm is insanely wide which makes it very special but also limits it's use. As clackers said, it does create drama -- my wife just about divorced me when she saw herself in the corner of one of the 12 mm photos! UWA really stretches people and circles at the edges and corners.

I'm sure you'd use the 20 mm more. Yet even if a crazy-wide lens gets less use, the results can be more powerful. A focal length like 11 to 14 mm on FF is a very cool for architecture (cathedrals, ceilings, facades) and landscapes (zenith shots of tree canopies, sweeping mountain vistas, long-views across flower-strewn meadows). And the extreme distortion can be useful for abstracts and crazy compositions. I still keep the Sigma 12-24 in my bag.

Overall, I'd definitely get the 20 mm for everyday WA but do think about something wider because UWA can be a real photographic challenge that can be really rewarding. Also, you can always crop a UWA image down to WA but unless you like the labor of panoramas, it's much harder to create a UWA image with just a WA lens.

Enjoy!
09-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm considering selling everything I have and getting the 15-30) I think my life will only be complete if I get that beast
09-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K 20mm f4.0 is a great lens if you can find one.
09-13-2017, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I've used various 21mm and wider wide-angle lenses on my K1. All have been found to distort subjects/objects near the edges (see Clackers photo above with the deformed people on the left side of the dock). Such edge distortion is a big turn off to me!!!

I've found that on my K1's, a good 24mm / 25mm lens is about as wide as I can go without distracting/ugly distorted edges. If I need wider than that, I'll make a stitched pano with my 35mm or 50mm lenses.

I'm sure hoping that Pentax some day releases a high quality 18 - 24mm prime lens with virtually zero distortion. I expect that it would be a big seller.
09-13-2017, 05:05 PM - 4 Likes   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I've used various 21mm and wider wide-angle lenses on my K1. All have been found to distort subjects/objects near the edges (see Clackers photo above with the deformed people on the left side of the dock). Such edge distortion is a big turn off to me!!!
You might find that the Laowa lenses suit better than the Zeiss ones, Dave.

I love distortion, by the way, to give spark to an image. I reckon just like shutter speed or aperture, it's another tool to our armoury:

Last edited by clackers; 09-13-2017 at 05:18 PM.
09-13-2017, 05:44 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

I am (like a lot of people) interested in wide angle lenses for the K-1. Specifically by the definition of how I am using the word, this means 20mm and under. I also DO NOT want to include lenses that are designed for crop sensors but 'may work' on a FF camera.

I am specifically looking for lenses designed to be used on FF. Hopefully we can get some participation here so we can build up this list.

The only two AF lenses that I know of are the:

FA20mm
15-30mm zoom

As far as I know everything else is all MF.

There are Bowers, Samyang, Irix, but I don't know any others or even the specifics of the lenses out there. Any help would be appreciated. I see this as an ongoing project and I am pretty sure I am not the only one interested in this subject.
I have a suggestion which is probably the cheapest if you can find a good sample -Zenitar 16mm F:2.8 fisheye from Russia.

These 4 give you some full frame perspective from film- buildings in downtown Toronto

I love the lens shot with crop factor

---------- Post added 09-13-2017 at 08:56 PM ----------

These are with the crop factor

This one, is the defished image, of the above

Last edited by danielchtong; 09-13-2017 at 06:00 PM.