Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
That is provided that the camera did not hesitate. I doubt if it worked at all.
Maybe you did not look at the exif of the series of images. I was using DL in late 2006
Ok, maybe older af modules would struggle, I don't have any experience with DL. I'm fairly certain any modern-ish body would focus just fine.

09-18-2017, 01:26 PM - 3 Likes   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Ok, maybe older af modules would struggle, I don't have any experience with DL. I'm fairly certain any modern-ish body would focus just fine.
I'd doubt even the mighty k-1 could have auto-focused with that 16mm Zenitar

Seriously though, I often use AF with my ultra-wides. They're aps-c so I apologize for wavering OT here (da14mm and da10-17mm). It may partly be the short focus throw of their AF design, but I find it makes it pretty tough to accurately put the focus where I want especially up close (my preferred use!). With my k5iis they are fast and accurate (up to my ability to place the focus point someplace sensible).

For a bird-in-the-hand example, here's one with my da14mm. Some may cry fowl as I hit the bird with my greenhouse first to stun it (anti-bird collision devices have since been upgraded), but I would have had a hard time getting this photo with MF due to the circumstances - to keep the dog from getting the bird I picked the bird up first, then the camera. I do have practice one handing the camera and focusing with the pinky finger, but it's awkward and slow. AF meant I didn't have to rely on happenstance for it to already be at the right distance and it honestly has no problems locking on quickly even with my now dated camera. Do note how shallow the DoF is @f/4 (chosen for some background separation), my fingertips and base of my hand are already visibly out of focus even at web size. Even if I had stopped down to f/11 to get more leeway, nothing beats getting the focus point on the eye at this level of magnification.

In short, while I could probably do without AF and also use MF pretty often, I do like the option for my ultra-wides. I doubt it would stop me from buying the right lens, but given the option, I'd like to have it as an option.

09-18-2017, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'd doubt even the mighty k-1 could have auto-focused with that 16mm Zenitar

Seriously though, I often use AF with my ultra-wides. They're aps-c so I apologize for wavering OT here (da14mm and da10-17mm). It may partly be the short focus throw of their AF design, but I find it makes it pretty tough to accurately put the focus where I want especially up close (my preferred use!). With my k5iis they are fast and accurate (up to my ability to place the focus point someplace sensible).

For a bird-in-the-hand example, here's one with my da14mm. Some may cry fowl as I hit the bird with my greenhouse first to stun it (anti-bird collision devices have since been upgraded), but I would have had a hard time getting this photo with MF due to the circumstances - to keep the dog from getting the bird I picked the bird up first, then the camera. I do have practice one handing the camera and focusing with the pinky finger, but it's awkward and slow. AF meant I didn't have to rely on happenstance for it to already be at the right distance and it honestly has no problems locking on quickly even with my now dated camera. Do note how shallow the DoF is @f/4 (chosen for some background separation), my fingertips and base of my hand are already visibly out of focus even at web size. Even if I had stopped down to f/11 to get more leeway, nothing beats getting the focus point on the eye at this level of magnification.

In short, while I could probably do without AF and also use MF pretty often, I do like the option for my ultra-wides. I doubt it would stop me from buying the right lens, but given the option, I'd like to have it as an option.
I know the zenitar is mf only, i meant in general, that type of photo can definitely be achieved with an AF lens, which you proved with your example
09-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I know the zenitar is mf only, i meant in general, that type of photo can definitely be achieved with an AF lens, which you proved with your example
I know you know, I was just being a smart aleck. I, of course, completely agree with you.

09-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I know you know, I was just being a smart aleck. I, of course, completely agree with you.
Haha
09-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK...

I have been thinking about this a lot. The whole wide angle thing...

I have been on a journey back and forth... all zooms then 100% primes... then back to zooms... then now I am like 50/50 zoom/prime... I still prefer primes but but zooms are more easy.

At the end of the day though I think I will probably winding up going with the 15-30mm zoom. The only real big downside for me is the weight penalty. That thing is giant.

What I like about it:

1. It offers me flexibility so that I can stretch my legs so to speak in a photographic sense of the word. Basically I can try more things with that and do it on the fly.
2. It's WR. Believe me, when I travel this is a big deal.
3. It's constant f2.8

When it all boils down to it that lens might be a great lens to learn how to shoot really wide angle with. I might pick one up in the market place at some point in the future. The good and the bad side is though right now I have no money so I have to wait.

Don't get me wrong, I am impressed with manual glass, but to be honest I only have one manual lens. It fascinates me but I don't really use it a lot. I keep on going back to it but it's kind of weird. I think part of the problem is I don't slow down enough to really get into manual lenses. I think as I evolve more it will grow on me but there is just something about that thing that keeps drawing me back in.

Anyway regardless of all that I am thinking the 15-30 might be my best option at present. I really like the idea of the 20mm f1.4 or f1.8 but at the end of the day the zoom will allow me to experiment with 'really wide' on a number of levels.

Who really knows though... later on once I get money to buy the thing I might change my mind again. As I stated earlier I owned a 15mm before and that was pretty crazy wide... and a 20mm on the K-1 is even wider than that... so the 20mm length seems like it would be a lot more useful. That said with the zoom I can pick whatever focal length I want in the range.

I really wish I could experiment with some of these various lenses BEFORE I go out spending so much money... that would help me a whole lot.
10-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

in the past, cheap cameras were often labelled 'focus-free', as though that was really high-tech and sophisticated. Actually. they had just been set at the hyperfocal distance for the particular lens and aperture. Everything within about 6 feet to infinity would be in focus, and unless you were getting really close that was fine.
10-07-2017, 01:52 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
At the end of the day though I think I will probably winding up going with the 15-30mm zoom.
Good choice IMO.

I had the FA20-35 and FA20/2.8, and decided pretty quickly that the prime was a better option for me. That was before I got the K-1.

Soon after the K-1 came the DFA15-30 and basically all bets were off. It matches the prime in speed, resolution and distortion, and has weather resistance and silent AF. It only loses in size and weight, and its difficulty being fitted with filters. As I am a rare user of the latter that was never a deal-breaker for me. I have primes at 24, 28 and 31mm (and two zooms covering part of that range), which can take filters if really needed.

As of yesterday, my FA20 is now in a loving new home in California.

12-31-2017, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #84

Wide angles debate!

A number of points come to mind here! I appreciate some want wide angles <20mm. Do Pentax do any that don't exhibit distortion? I have the fisheye 10-17 APSC with plenty of distortion. Like all APSC lenses they seem pointless on the K1 as you lose the advantage of FF. The 15-30 Pentax lens has no filter thread, which renders it worthless as a landscape lens in my opinion. Competitors with good lens reviews including Zeiss and Sigma don't have weather sealing, nor does the Pentax FA 20-35mm.

When I bought the K1 there were strong rumours of a 24 or 28mm prime being released in 2017, but I have yet to see them? Personally I would settle for a 24mm prime, weather sealed, with a useable filter thread for filters (wishful thinking?!). Currently I have to use some old glass too. It's ok but results tend to be soft with pre-digital lenses. I feel I have yet to achieve the real advantage of the K1 while suitable modern glass remains "unavailable". I have no problem with manual focus lenses, but my query remains - why can't Ricoh/Pentax release modern glass for the super K1?

Hope this adds to the debate!

raghnallg
01-01-2018, 01:21 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by R. Glasgow Quote
why can't Ricoh/Pentax release modern glass for the super K1?
we are more and more to be dissatisfied with this incapacity to react, this slowness is asking a lot of questions among pentax's faithful
05-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #86

Hey there! New Pentax K1 owner here! I'm looking for a Sigma 12-24 mm lens but can't find them anywhere. I finally ordered one on Amazon but my order was cancelled a day ago due to a "technical problem". Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look... ?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-11-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Wanted requests only allowed in Marketplace
05-12-2018, 01:18 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clinz Quote
Hey there! New Pentax K1 owner here! I'm looking for a Sigma 12-24 mm lens but can't find them anywhere. I finally ordered one on Amazon but my order was cancelled a day ago due to a "technical problem". Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look... ?
Biete NEUWERTIGES SIGMA 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Asph. f.PENTAX - DSLR-Forum
Biete Sigma 12-24mm 1:4.5-5.6 DG EX - DSLR-Forum
08-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #88
Forum Member

Although a bit old this is an Interesting tread, is there any news on a 21 or 24 wide prime lens from Pentax anytime soon ?
08-07-2019, 03:54 AM   #89

I gave up waiting and bought the manual 15mm Laowa f/4 and later purchased the Pentax 24-70 for the K1. So its 15 or 24 for me in wide angle choice. Love the Laowa which takes Lee filters. Happy with the 24-70 zoom which also takes filters, and yes it is a bit bulky. Ironic at present that cameras are getting smaller again and lenses are getting bigger😃
08-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #90
Forum Member

Yeah, that is the problem with full frame especially, I like the smaller size factor of a 21mm prime lens, would be a good landscape and a nice city lens (vacation) if it was 1.8 like the nikkor lens, all the better for night shots.
Have a K3 with a few primes but not the 15mm, looking forward for the next K1 to come out, then I would upgrade to full frame, probably use mostly primes.

Does anyone knows when that will come out?, or are Pentax using all their resources on the successor to the K3 ?