Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

300/ 4 A* vs. 300/ 4.5 F*

For use on my film MX and film ZX5. I have come to the point where I would like a 300 in my bag for certain shots. They are both highly regarded and they are both around the same price. One, the F* has a tripod foot, the other does not. The F* is slightly in the lead just because of that. Does the F* have a focusing ring?

09-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course it has a focusing ring But as an AF lens it doesn't provide as much friction so it might be harder to make fine focus adjustments than the A*. If you plan to or also shoot digital, then I'd go with the F* without a doubt, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you want the best lens Pentax has ever made then buy the F*300. All others pale in comparison. Even the FA 31. End of Story. Plus the off white color will give you "Street Cred".

09-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love my K300, but wish it had a foot...

I'd get the F just for that... especially in conjunction with a teleconverter...

-Eric

09-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Of course it has a focusing ring But as an AF lens it doesn't provide as much friction so it might be harder to make fine focus adjustments than the A*. If you plan to or also shoot digital, then I'd go with the F* without a doubt, however.
I don't shoot Pentax digital anymore but an thinking about going back to it. I went Olympus M4/3 for size, pivoting screen, and touchscreen auto focusing. I think about picking up a used K3 but I cannot give up the screen. Helps make low vantage point shots possible without having to last on the ground, which I do often as I shoot mostly cars.

If the focusing is anything like my F 35-70 zoom, it's pretty short but still possible with the prism screen I've got in.

Last edited by derelict; 09-04-2017 at 03:17 PM.
09-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm sure whatever replaces the k-3 will have a fancy screen, so it might be worth sitting tight for that. The KP already has a nice screen but without touch.

The focusing should be better on the 300mm, just because the ring itself is massive.
09-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The FA*300 f4.5 is optically identical to the F*300 f4.5, and maybe easier to find. It really is an excellent lens. The FA* doesn't come with a tripod collar/foot, but users report that an aftermarket one for the Canon 70-200 f4 will fit (although it may need to be lined with neoprene or something for better grip and to protect the surface of the lens barrel). Several threads about this.

09-04-2017, 03:58 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can vouch for the F*300. Incredible quality of construction and the IQ is benchmark. The manual focusing is 180 and nicely damped. And its impossibly tiny!
Here's some sample photos from the K-1:

All wide open. I think the scrub jay one was with the tamron 1.4 tc but i don't remember for sure.

Here it is on a MZ-3:

Last edited by ChatMechant; 02-12-2018 at 09:49 AM.
09-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
For use on my film MX and film ZX5. I have come to the point where I would like a 300 in my bag for certain shots. They are both highly regarded and they are both around the same price. One, the F* has a tripod foot, the other does not. The F* is slightly in the lead just because of that. Does the F* have a focusing ring?
My view is that the tripod foot is not that big an advantage with the advent of SR in all latest Pentax dslr.
I am biased as I have A300mmF4.
I think optically the 2 lenses are close.
09-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The FA*300 f4.5 is optically identical to the F*300 f4.5, and maybe easier to find. It really is an excellent lens. The FA* doesn't come with a tripod collar/foot, but users report that an aftermarket one for the Canon 70-200 f4 will fit (although it may need to be lined with neoprene or something for better grip and to protect the surface of the lens barrel). Several threads about this.
The FA* is (surprisingly to me) heavier than the F* (935 gm vs. 880 gm) according to the PF Lens Database and has a detachable, reversible hood rather than retracting self-hood. It is easily the fastest focusing screwdrive lens I own, and optically sublime. I think it's often about 20% less than the F*, too.
09-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm sure whatever replaces the k-3 will have a fancy screen, so it might be worth sitting tight for that. The KP already has a nice screen but without touch.

The focusing should be better on the 300mm, just because the ring itself is massive.
The KP was SO close to getting me back into the Pentax digital world. Fell short on a few key features. Screen with better live view and touch to focus point. I took delivery of a brand new one from B&H but ended up returning it.
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
My view is that the tripod foot is not that big an advantage with the advent of SR in all latest Pentax dslr.
I am biased as I have A300mmF4.
I think optically the 2 lenses are close.
I don't shoot Pentax digital. This would be a film lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I can vouch for the F*300. Incredible quality of construction and the IQ is benchmark. The manual focusing is 180 and nicely damped. And its impossibly tiny!
Here's some sample photos from the K-1:

All wide open. I think the scrub jay one was with the tamron 1.4 tc but i don't remember for sure.

Here it is on a MZ-3:
Those are great photos. Especially it mounted on your MZ body. The ZX is the same size and the MX is a little smaller. Gives me a decent idea of size.

I'm going to get the F* version. That tripod foot is pretty crucial for me.
09-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter

As well as I can remember, the F* 300/4.5 was my first AF lens, picked up way back in "Ye Old Film Days of Yore", when I was shooting most of the time with LX's, and before I bought my first AF body (not counting my MEF's, which are AF only with the AF 35-70/2.8 lens) - an *ist DS. At the time I got the F* 300/4.5, I had an A* 300/4 (that I did like a lot) (after previously owning an M* 300/4). What got me to pick up an AF 300mm lens for trial use on MF bodies was a comment from a well-respected PDML member who made it very clear that the F* 300 was significantly sharper than was the A* 300. I found that, in comparing them on FF 35mm film bodies, I did have to agree. So, as much as I did like the A* 300/4, it ended up going to a Good Home somewhere else, and the F* 300/4.5 has been my fave 300mm prime ever since.

Last edited by fwcetus; 09-06-2017 at 01:34 PM.
09-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The FA* is (surprisingly to me) heavier than the F* (935 gm vs. 880 gm) according to the PF Lens Database and has a detachable, reversible hood rather than retracting self-hood.
PF lens database isn't written correct. The F* 300 does weight 1.120 with.tripod mount.
Weight of F* 300mm 4.5 - PentaxForums.com
09-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
F* 300/4.5 was my first AF lens, picked up way back in "Ye Old Film Days of Yore" ... and the F* 300/4.5 has been my fave 300mm prime ever since.
That's why they are so hard to find. They are so often in the category "The One Lens To Be Prised From My Dead Hands".

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
PF lens database isn't written correct. The F* 300 does weight 1.120 with.tripod mount.
Weight of F* 300mm 4.5 - PentaxForums.com
That answers one of the burning questions in physics: how does the F*300 with a tripod foot weigh less than the FA*300 without one, given that they have the same optics? A: It doesn't.
09-05-2017, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The FA* is (surprisingly to me) heavier than the F* (935 gm vs. 880 gm) according to the PF Lens Database and has a detachable, reversible hood rather than retracting self-hood. It is easily the fastest focusing screwdrive lens I own, and optically sublime. I think it's often about 20% less than the F*, too.
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
That's why they are so hard to find. They are so often in the category "The One Lens To Be Prised From My Dead Hands".

That answers one of the burning questions in physics: how does the F*300 with a tripod foot weigh less than the FA*300 without one, given that they have the same optics? A: It doesn't.
Surprisingly to me . . . . . Boz Dimitrov's K-Mount Page also lists the weights 880gm for the F* and 935gm for the FA* I seem to do fine without the tripod foot.

I will be buried with the FA*300/4.5 in my right hand and the K28/2 in my left.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-05-2017 at 03:16 PM.