Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would choose FA 77 on full frame, DA *55 on crop. If you had the funds, the DFA 70-200 is ideal.
I have the new 70-200 from Pentax. For me this lens is a little bit to heavy for portrait! I came from an K-3 with the 2.8/50-135 which has a total weight of 1.5kg With the 70-200 i have about 2 1/2 kg when connected to the K-1
Also I have dozen of zooms in the area from 80-135 but they are slow. My 2.8/50-135 is only for APS-C, the other are all F>3.5

But the restriction is to make only pictures with primes :-(
I have no interest spending about US$ 1000 for an SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited with an nearly 20 years old design. I am sure when I would buy this 77mm Ricoh will announce a redesign in a couple of weeks. On their Roadmap is already an 1.4/85mm. I want to wait till this is available!

09-05-2017, 09:12 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 10-17 Fisheye Zoom...

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
Hello

In a couple of weeks I have a portrait-shooting-weekend. The restriction is to work only with prime focus lenses. The Bodys I have available are K-1, K-3 & K-5iis

My problem is I have more as 2 dozen zoom lensen, but only 2 really new prime lenses (autofocus) and a couple of manuall lenses (A- & M- lenses, 40 years old )

What is the best lens?
- "SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR" for APS-C & FF
- "SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8" with an "HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter" only for APS-C

The first is a superb 100mm lens, the second will transfer to an 70mm lens with an Aperture of about 2.5. What would be your favourite combination?

I have also an "SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter" but I really I have handling problems with the AutoFocus"

I rest my case.

Cheers,
Cameron

---------- Post added 09-05-2017 at 09:13 AM ----------

...here's a more introspective, pensive kind of pose...

Cheers,
Cameron
09-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I have no interest spending about US$ 1000 for an SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited with an nearly 20 years old design. I am sure when I would buy this 77mm Ricoh will announce a redesign in a couple of weeks.
Because an old lens can't be a good lens?

Pentax was seriously caught up in the movement to make top quality lenses at reduced sizes. The modern lenses don't follow the same design directive. When they're gone, they're gone. It doesn't look like there will ever be modern lenses designed with that directive again, even from Pentax.
09-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Because an old lens can't be a good lens?
No, but US$ 1000 isn't a bargain. I will wait for the new 1.4/85

The old 1.4/85 and 1.8/77 are used and working with the AF-Screw Drive instead the SMD-Motor

09-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

The old 1.4/85 and 1.8/77 are used and working with the AF-Screw Drive instead the SMD-Motor
It's a premium lens, not a bargain lens. When did being a bargain become part of the conversation?
But, I have an opinion on that too. My favourite "bargain" lens for portraits would be a Sigma 70 Macro... but that shouldn't really be part of the conversation when we are discussing "best".

I recently picked up a D FA 100 macro, which I expect will be my 70 macro on APS-c replacement for my K-1. But if I was looking absolute best it would be the 77 or 85 1.4. Not all of us do enough portraits to want the best. And whether or not it was screw drive wouldn't be an issue. Looking for the best optically doesn't include that criteria.
09-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

It's a good lens. It is 800 with B and H photo, which is a fair price, I think. The screw drive is neither here nor there. It probably means the lens will last longer without need for service. The FA limiteds also seem to hold their value fairly well and if you decided you wanted to flip it a year after purchasing it, you probably could do so without a big loss.

You may want to see if you can get a copy of the Sigma 85mm f1.4. You'd have to go with a used copy, but it has a silent motor and seems to be sharp -- albeit a lot larger than the FA 77 limited.
09-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Hello

In a couple of weeks I have a portrait-shooting-weekend. The restriction is to work only with prime focus lenses. The Bodys I have available are K-1, K-3 & K-5iis

My problem is I have more as 2 dozen zoom lensen, but only 2 really new prime lenses (autofocus) and a couple of manuall lenses (A- & M- lenses, 40 years old )

What is the best lens?
- "SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR" for APS-C & FF
- "SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8" with an "HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter" only for APS-C

The first is a superb 100mm lens, the second will transfer to an 70mm lens with an Aperture of about 2.5. What would be your favourite combination?

I have also an "SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter" but I really I have handling problems with the AutoFocus"
I am perhaps the exception as I think using longer lens (135mm 200mm) has huge advantage in portrait taking. Creamy bokeh (thanks to FA135mm & DA*200) is almost a guarantee

da200mm Photo Gallery by Daniel TONG at pbase.com

---------- Post added 09-05-2017 at 03:49 PM ----------

There is no such thing as the best lens for portait. I did a couple of them even with fisheye

09-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It's a good lens. It is 800 with B and H photo, which is a fair price, I think. The screw drive is neither here nor there. It probably means the lens will last longer without need for service. The FA limiteds also seem to hold their value fairly well and if you decided you wanted to flip it a year after purchasing it, you probably could do so without a big loss.

You may want to see if you can get a copy of the Sigma 85mm f1.4. You'd have to go with a used copy, but it has a silent motor and seems to be sharp -- albeit a lot larger than the FA 77 limited.
Comparing the 77 and 85/1.4 to comparable Zeiss glass might make them look like bargains! I will most likely get the new 85/1.4 when/if it becomes available, but I will be pleasantly surprised if it surpasses the current version. Perhaps it will be water proofed, maybe constructed of materials that do not scratch as easily, but better image quality? Not so sure about that.

---------- Post added 09-05-17 at 04:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's a premium lens, not a bargain lens. When did being a bargain become part of the conversation?
But, I have an opinion on that too. My favourite "bargain" lens for portraits would be a Sigma 70 Macro... but that shouldn't really be part of the conversation when we are discussing "best".

I recently picked up a D FA 100 macro, which I expect will be my 70 macro on APS-c replacement for my K-1. But if I was looking absolute best it would be the 77 or 85 1.4. Not all of us do enough portraits to want the best. And whether or not it was screw drive wouldn't be an issue. Looking for the best optically doesn't include that criteria.
For bargain lens, I like Pentax-67 55mm f 4.0 on K-1/K-3 with adapter. It is, of course, a little heavier than the 77. :>)
09-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #24
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Put the 100mm on the K-1 and the 50mm on the K-3 and have fun.
Why this way round? I would have thought if you were going to the trouble of taking 2 cameras you would set them up as different as possible? ie the 50 on the K-1 and the 100 on the K3.
EDIT - aahh silly me I see it is a DA 50 - no choice then. But then I think I would take just the one camera seeing they would end up similar. K-1 with the 100
09-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
I am perhaps the exception as I think using longer lens (135mm 200mm) has huge advantage in portrait taking. Creamy bokeh (thanks to FA135mm & DA*200) is almost a guarantee

da200mm Photo Gallery by Daniel TONG at pbase.com

---------- Post added 09-05-2017 at 03:49 PM ----------

There is no such thing as the best lens for portait. I did a couple of them even with fisheye
Hello
I own an DA* 2.8/200mm. I never used it for portrait-shooting

let's give it a try
09-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

That new 85mm f/1.4 is going to be at least $1300. Count on that. You can snag the FA77 for $600-700 second hand. So consider whether it's worth double the price to you.

I've used...most Pentax lenses (ok, "many" maybe better) and I've found that the 77 is about as good as we're going to get until the new stuff comes out. The DA*55 has the highest measured resolution of any Pentax lens and the FA77 is about the same level, from what I can tell.
09-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello
I own an DA* 2.8/200mm. I never used it for portrait-shooting

let's give it a try
It's too short for wildlife, so I would have thought that would be its natural use - bokehlicious outdoor portraits.
09-05-2017, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Why this way round? I would have thought if you were going to the trouble of taking 2 cameras you would set them up as different as possible? ie the 50 on the K-1 and the 100 on the K3. EDIT - aahh silly me I see it is a DA 50 - no choice then. But then I think I would take just the one camera seeing they would end up similar. K-1 with the 100
50mm on the K-1 is too wide (IMHO) for single portraits. By using it on the K-3 you get a field of view of about a 75mm lens on the K-1. You could also then swap out the 100mm onto the K-3 and get a field of view of about a 150mm on the K-1. And of course if you are doing group shots put the 50mm on the K-1. So with those two lenses and cameras you can get a field of view of a 50mm, 75mm, 100mm and 150mm lens. All roughly in the portrait focal lengths. Best you will get with the options available to the OP.

And the DA 50 works just fine on the K-1, perhaps some slight vignetting, but for portraits not an issue.
09-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am sure the new 85 1.4 will be a great lens. But there is a reason the FA*85, a 25 year old design still commands a high price. It is because it is a classic, and an exceptional portrait lens. I have done pet portraits with both the D-FA 24-70 zoom and the FA* 85mm. I dont even consider the drive mechanism...it is irrelevant.
09-06-2017, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

I own an DA* 2.8/200mm. I never used it for portrait-shooting......let's give it a try
1. You should have used that lens more often for portrait
2. You may not have a wife that is very conscious of my usual portrait subjects (typically young models in glamour shots).
3. And 200mm does create further distance to the subject matter if I use 20mm instead. Portrait subjects of 200mm does present less chance for non photographic ventures