Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax D FA* 70-200mm makes squealing noise when focusing

For some reason, my Pentax D FA* 70-200mm lens is making a squealing noise during focusing. This is audible both during autofocus and when manually focusing, which suggests that the issue is in the focusing helicoid and not the motor, though the latter cannot be ruled out. The noise is most audible when going towards the close focus end. Focusing speed and responsiveness haven't noticeably worsened.

Is this cause for concern, and has anyone else encountered this issue? The lens is under warranty until February 2018 but I won't have a chance to send it in until December because I need it for my job.

Draco

Last edited by bwDraco; 09-05-2017 at 09:58 PM.
09-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
For some reason, my Pentax D FA* 70-200mm lens is making a squealing noise during focusing. This is audible both during autofocus and when manually focusing, and is most audible when going towards the close focus end. Focusing speed and responsiveness haven't noticeably worsened.

Is this cause for concern, and has anyone else encountered this issue? The lens is under warranty until February 2018 but I won't have a chance to send it in until December because I need it for my job.

Draco

Hey mate
Had the same issue and I was told by warranty that's normal.
I insisted on sending it in anyway and Japan repair centre came back with changing the motor and lens collar.
Best send it in.
Seems to be a motor issue. Mine did that while going from close focus to infinity and back. Mine also made a slight judder sound.

09-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm... Is this likely to progress to complete motor failure if left unchecked? Also, how long did it take to get your lens fixed? I am not hearing anything like juddering in my lens.
09-05-2017, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
Hmm... Is this likely to progress to complete motor failure if left unchecked? Also, how long did it take to get your lens fixed? I am not hearing anything like juddering in my lens.

My issue started with squealing and progressed to judder.
Based on where you are repair could take up to 4 weeks. I went to the melbourne warranty handler and was told that the sound didn't mean anything and was normal. Although when I insisted that I came from canon and usually squealing and judder are indications of motor failure they then sent the lens to Japan and hats when it got addressed. At aus $2500 I wasn't taking no for an answer.

09-06-2017, 01:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^ "melbourne" means CRK Kennedy and they are a great mob. So, in saying this, even good people can get it 'wrong' (unintended). Squealing is not normal. The lens is meant to be quiet (that is the point of these focusing motors). It sounds like the spec on the lens is slightly out and so it would be wise to escalate. I would!
09-06-2017, 03:16 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if under warranty send it in now, if possible

if not asap

in any case send it before warranty expires

I have had no problem with my like new HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW I just purchased from a Forum member.

please keep us informed
09-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a YouTube video demonstrating the issue:

How long do you think this will last until the motor quits completely?

Draco
09-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Did you check to see their aren't any little piggies inside?

09-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would send it in. That definitely isn't what my 70-200 does.
09-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
^ "melbourne" means CRK Kennedy and they are a great mob. So, in saying this, even good people can get it 'wrong' (unintended). Squealing is not normal. The lens is meant to be quiet (that is the point of these focusing motors). It sounds like the spec on the lens is slightly out and so it would be wise to escalate. I would!

Good how?

I've had 2 interactions with them in terms of warranty and both times it's been a let down. Basically making me feel that I didn't know what I was talking about. Camera clinic is much better in that regard. YMMV

09-07-2017, 02:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jthapar Quote
Good how?

I've had 2 interactions with them in terms of warranty and both times it's been a let down. Basically making me feel that I didn't know what I was talking about. Camera clinic is much better in that regard. YMMV
I sent three lenses to them recently (two for Sigma mount upgrades and one for 'warranty' (out of warranty) repair). They accepted the lenses and fixed the mall within a week and sent them back to me without any charge.

The mount changes were expected to be 'free'. They changed the mounts quickly and sent them back without postage charge.

The Sigma 150-500mm had a problem. It was not a manufacturer fault but something that required fixing. They did so and again did not charge me.

So my experience has been very positive. I can only share this positive perspective. Sorry to hear your experience is different.
09-07-2017, 02:24 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I sent three lenses to them recently (two for Sigma mount upgrades and one for 'warranty' (out of warranty) repair). They accepted the lenses and fixed the mall within a week and sent them back to me without any charge.

The mount changes were expected to be 'free'. They changed the mounts quickly and sent them back without postage charge.

The Sigma 150-500mm had a problem. It was not a manufacturer fault but something that required fixing. They did so and again did not charge me.

So my experience has been very positive. I can only share this positive perspective. Sorry to hear your experience is different.

Completely agree with you there.
I'm in customer service and sales myself so just found the way they handled it a bit off putting. But yes everyone's experience is different.

09-07-2017, 02:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jthapar Quote
Completely agree with you there.
I'm in customer service and sales myself so just found the way they handled it a bit off putting. But yes everyone's experience is different.
The only fault I can share (and is perhaps a significant one) is their lack of communication. I had to call them to confirm acceptance of the lenses and their intended actions. When you send $2.5K worth of lenses in the mail, you kind of want some communication from the other end
09-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It looks like this behavior is temperature-dependent, too. At lower temperatures, the problem seems to improve.

I guess I'll continue to use the lens until I have a chance to send it in during the winter recess in December, unless it fails earlier. Whatever the case, the lens is under warranty and will remain under warranty until early February.

Draco