Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
bwDraco's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,043
Pentax D FA* 70-200mm makes squealing noise when focusing

For some reason, my Pentax D FA* 70-200mm lens is making a squealing noise during focusing. This is audible both during autofocus and when manually focusing, which suggests that the issue is in the focusing helicoid and not the motor, though the latter cannot be ruled out. The noise is most audible when going towards the close focus end. Focusing speed and responsiveness haven't noticeably worsened.

Is this cause for concern, and has anyone else encountered this issue? The lens is under warranty until February 2018 but I won't have a chance to send it in until December because I need it for my job.

Draco


Last edited by bwDraco; 09-05-2017 at 09:58 PM.
09-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 19
QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
For some reason, my Pentax D FA* 70-200mm lens is making a squealing noise during focusing. This is audible both during autofocus and when manually focusing, and is most audible when going towards the close focus end. Focusing speed and responsiveness haven't noticeably worsened.



Is this cause for concern, and has anyone else encountered this issue? The lens is under warranty until February 2018 but I won't have a chance to send it in until December because I need it for my job.



Draco


Hey mate
Had the same issue and I was told by warranty that's normal.
I insisted on sending it in anyway and Japan repair centre came back with changing the motor and lens collar.
Best send it in.
Seems to be a motor issue. Mine did that while going from close focus to infinity and back. Mine also made a slight judder sound.


09-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
bwDraco's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,043
Original Poster
Hmm... Is this likely to progress to complete motor failure if left unchecked? Also, how long did it take to get your lens fixed? I am not hearing anything like juddering in my lens.
09-05-2017, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 19
QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
Hmm... Is this likely to progress to complete motor failure if left unchecked? Also, how long did it take to get your lens fixed? I am not hearing anything like juddering in my lens.


My issue started with squealing and progressed to judder.
Based on where you are repair could take up to 4 weeks. I went to the melbourne warranty handler and was told that the sound didn't mean anything and was normal. Although when I insisted that I came from canon and usually squealing and judder are indications of motor failure they then sent the lens to Japan and hats when it got addressed. At aus $2500 I wasn't taking no for an answer.




09-06-2017, 01:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newcastle
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,867
^ "melbourne" means CRK Kennedy and they are a great mob. So, in saying this, even good people can get it 'wrong' (unintended). Squealing is not normal. The lens is meant to be quiet (that is the point of these focusing motors). It sounds like the spec on the lens is slightly out and so it would be wise to escalate. I would!
09-06-2017, 03:16 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,531
if under warranty send it in now, if possible

if not asap

in any case send it before warranty expires

I have had no problem with my like new HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW I just purchased from a Forum member.

please keep us informed
09-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
bwDraco's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,043
Original Poster
Here's a YouTube video demonstrating the issue:


How long do you think this will last until the motor quits completely?

Draco
09-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 30,704
Did you check to see their aren't any little piggies inside?

09-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,729
I would send it in. That definitely isn't what my 70-200 does.
09-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 19
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
^ "melbourne" means CRK Kennedy and they are a great mob. So, in saying this, even good people can get it 'wrong' (unintended). Squealing is not normal. The lens is meant to be quiet (that is the point of these focusing motors). It sounds like the spec on the lens is slightly out and so it would be wise to escalate. I would!


Good how?

I've had 2 interactions with them in terms of warranty and both times it's been a let down. Basically making me feel that I didn't know what I was talking about. Camera clinic is much better in that regard. YMMV


09-07-2017, 02:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newcastle
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,867
QuoteOriginally posted by jthapar Quote
Good how?

I've had 2 interactions with them in terms of warranty and both times it's been a let down. Basically making me feel that I didn't know what I was talking about. Camera clinic is much better in that regard. YMMV
I sent three lenses to them recently (two for Sigma mount upgrades and one for 'warranty' (out of warranty) repair). They accepted the lenses and fixed the mall within a week and sent them back to me without any charge.

The mount changes were expected to be 'free'. They changed the mounts quickly and sent them back without postage charge.

The Sigma 150-500mm had a problem. It was not a manufacturer fault but something that required fixing. They did so and again did not charge me.

So my experience has been very positive. I can only share this positive perspective. Sorry to hear your experience is different.
09-07-2017, 02:24 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 19
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I sent three lenses to them recently (two for Sigma mount upgrades and one for 'warranty' (out of warranty) repair). They accepted the lenses and fixed the mall within a week and sent them back to me without any charge.



The mount changes were expected to be 'free'. They changed the mounts quickly and sent them back without postage charge.



The Sigma 150-500mm had a problem. It was not a manufacturer fault but something that required fixing. They did so and again did not charge me.



So my experience has been very positive. I can only share this positive perspective. Sorry to hear your experience is different.


Completely agree with you there.
I'm in customer service and sales myself so just found the way they handled it a bit off putting. But yes everyone's experience is different.


09-07-2017, 02:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newcastle
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,867
QuoteOriginally posted by jthapar Quote
Completely agree with you there.
I'm in customer service and sales myself so just found the way they handled it a bit off putting. But yes everyone's experience is different.
The only fault I can share (and is perhaps a significant one) is their lack of communication. I had to call them to confirm acceptance of the lenses and their intended actions. When you send $2.5K worth of lenses in the mail, you kind of want some communication from the other end
09-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
bwDraco's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,043
Original Poster
It looks like this behavior is temperature-dependent, too. At lower temperatures, the problem seems to improve.

I guess I'll continue to use the lens until I have a chance to send it in during the winter recess in December, unless it fails earlier. Whatever the case, the lens is under warranty and will remain under warranty until early February.

Draco
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
70-200mm, fa*, fa* 70-200mm, focusing, k-mount, lens, noise, pentax, pentax d fa*, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-1 grip (around LED light) makes a clicking noise when pressed awscreo Pentax Full Frame 8 05-18-2017 08:47 AM
D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 In-Depth Review (and Tamron 70-200mm comparison) Adam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 11-10-2016 05:29 AM
Pentax K-10 D Makes noise and No Auto Focus ? stevewong Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 06-17-2014 11:28 AM
My Pentax DSLR makes a rattling noise - is it defective? Something is loose inside! Adam Maintenance and Repair Articles 4 01-18-2013 08:02 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax FA 100-300, FA 70-200, M 28mm; Sigma EX 28-70, Apo 70-300; Tamron Di LD 70-300 stillnk Sold Items 17 04-08-2012 11:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top