Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2017, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does your lens have a detachable tripod mount or hood? Help with the lens DB!

Our lens database is now fairly complete, with key specifications for every genuine Pentax lens ever made. Now we're working on making it even better with specs that are harder to come by: hood and tripod mount weight. Oftentimes, technical specs include the weight of these components in the overall lens weight, but we'd like to separate them so you can see how much more portable each lens can become.

If you have a scale handy, please weigh your lens's detachable hood and/or tripod mount (in grams) and post here! Here are some of lenses we need specs for:

Lenses with Tripod Mount | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can do the three K-series lenses - but I wasn't aware the tripod foot is detachable from any of them. I believe all three have fixed, retractable hoods.
09-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Let's start with the nice F* 300mm 4.5
Weight of F* 300mm 4.5 - PentaxForums.com

...880 g including built-in hood (without removable tripod mount)
1.120 g including built-in hood (with......removable tripod mount)
09-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Let's start with the nice F* 300mm 4.5
Weight of F* 300mm 4.5 - PentaxForums.com

...880 g including built-in hood (without removable tripod mount)
1.120 g including built-in hood (with......removable tripod mount)
Already uploaded

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I can do the three K-series lenses - but I wasn't aware the tripod foot is detachable from any of them. I believe all three have fixed, retractable hoods.
If they're not detachable then there's no further info to add to the DB. The page above includes all of the lenses we're interested in, but also many with integrated mounts since they cannot (currently) be filtered out. Thanks though!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

129 g lens hood PH-RBA86

194 g tripod foot

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-06-2017 at 03:23 PM.
09-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8:

Lens hood PH-RBM77: 79 g
Tripod collar: 195 g
09-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
Pentax D FA* 70-200mm f/2.8:

Lens hood PH-RBM77: 79 g
Tripod collar: 195 g
tripod foot for that lens weighs 197 g according to my scale

09-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
All specs added to the DB. Going to round to the nearest 5g for now (this is already way more accurate than the official specs). Thanks guys!

Adam

09-06-2017, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA*300mm Hood - 91.1g, Tripod Foot (and screw) - 77.7g.
09-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
. . .
If you have a scale handy, please weigh your lens's detachable hood and/or tripod mount (in grams) and post here! Here are some of lenses we need specs for:

Lenses with Tripod Mount | PentaxForums.com

Adam, if you're also interested in M42 mount lenses, here are some specs from my Takumar 200mm f3.5.

tripod mount: 122g
lens (no tripod mount, no caps): 720g
screw in lens hood: 74g

Re the hood, mine has no writing on it but I'm pretty sure it's the original. Here's a photo of my hood:

09-07-2017, 12:17 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Adam, if you're also interested in M42 mount lenses, here are some specs from my Takumar 200mm f3.5.

tripod mount: 122g
lens (no tripod mount, no caps): 720g
screw in lens hood: 74g

Re the hood, mine has no writing on it but I'm pretty sure it's the original. Here's a photo of my hood:

Thanks! Yes, we can certainly add these specs for Takumars. Turns out Pentax's weight spec for that particular lens included the mount but not the hood.

Adam

09-07-2017, 01:55 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam

1 thanks

2 some of us are challenged and not that good with metrics could you please add ounces to your chart as well as grams ?
09-07-2017, 05:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I'll try to get info tonight for the FA43, DA21, DA60-250, DA16-85, DFA100 WR.
09-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I guess it would be very helpful to use the weight with mounted tripod collar as standard weight. Since most people will use it with it. So nobody will wonder why it weights more than the FA* 300mm 4.5
Also using the weight of the complete lens in the pentax lens search would be fine for real life weight.
09-07-2017, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Adam

1 thanks

2 some of us are challenged and not that good with metrics could you please add ounces to your chart as well as grams ?
That's a simple conversion so it shouldn't be a problem later on.

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
I guess it would be very helpful to use the weight with mounted tripod collar as standard weight. Since most people will use it with it. So nobody will wonder why it weights more than the FA* 300mm 4.5 Also using the weight of the complete lens in the pentax lens search would be fine for real life weight.
Once we've verified all the specs, this is the plan.

Adam