Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I keep a fat rubber band halfway on the focus ring, and halfway on the zoom ring. It provides enough resistance to keep the lens from creeping. You just have to replace the lens every few months as UV light breaks down rubber bands over time.
Whoa, sounds expensive kryp.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know what you meant. Doesn't the elastic band on the focussing ring cause a problem with AF? It would require more torque from the motor?

08-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the responses everyone. It does help.

Now I need to make a decision on whether or not I keep the 18-250 or invest a 16-45mm and perhaps a 50mm, then finally . . . when I can afford it, get a good quality zoom from perhaps 50-300. In it all I want to make sure I'm using a lens that will give me the most out of my K20D.

Peter
08-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Petermgr Quote
Thanks for the responses everyone. It does help.

Now I need to make a decision on whether or not I keep the 18-250 or invest a 16-45mm and perhaps a 50mm, then finally . . . when I can afford it, get a good quality zoom from perhaps 50-300. In it all I want to make sure I'm using a lens that will give me the most out of my K20D.

Peter
An 18-250mm with a 50 mm 1.4 is a potent combo. If you go for the 16-45mm instead of the 18-250, you will likely also want a long zoom and a fast 50. If you were to get say the 16-45 and 55-300, you'd be out an extra $200 over the 18-250, but you would get more out of your K20. There are lots of options though. These things are never easy (unless money is no object ).
08-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
An 18-250mm with a 50 mm 1.4 is a potent combo. If you go for the 16-45mm instead of the 18-250, you will likely also want a long zoom and a fast 50. If you were to get say the 16-45 and 55-300, you'd be out an extra $200 over the 18-250, but you would get more out of your K20. There are lots of options though. These things are never easy (unless money is no object ).
Thanks Dan.

That is the tough one with the 18-250, it gives the zoom I occasional need. Your idea of the 50mm 1.4 is something that crossed my mind. It would make a great walk around lens for weddings and family events.

Honestly Dan, I do wonder if I'm splitting hairs when it comes to the comparison question of the 16-45 to 25-250. I ask myself, is the quality so different that someone would notice it in a print? I don't want to catch the LBA bug because I'm pixel peeping when comparing images.

Frustrating these choices we have. Funny, my wife bought me my first digital camera, Christmas 2006. A simple little Kodak that gave a whopping 2 megapixel picture. I was extremely happy with that little camera and managed to put 8,000 pics on it before a "borrower" busted it. But none the less, here I am, with a K20D, and perhaps getting too anal about that picture perfect, pixel perfect image. . .

I ramble . . . but it felt good . . .

Peter

08-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Petermgr Quote
Thanks Dan.

That is the tough one with the 18-250, it gives the zoom I occasional need. Your idea of the 50mm 1.4 is something that crossed my mind. It would make a great walk around lens for weddings and family events.

Honestly Dan, I do wonder if I'm splitting hairs when it comes to the comparison question of the 16-45 to 25-250. I ask myself, is the quality so different that someone would notice it in a print? I don't want to catch the LBA bug because I'm pixel peeping when comparing images.

Frustrating these choices we have. Funny, my wife bought me my first digital camera, Christmas 2006. A simple little Kodak that gave a whopping 2 megapixel picture. I was extremely happy with that little camera and managed to put 8,000 pics on it before a "borrower" busted it. But none the less, here I am, with a K20D, and perhaps getting too anal about that picture perfect, pixel perfect image. . .

I ramble . . . but it felt good . . .

Peter
All good points Peter. It is very easy to let lens lust take over your life. Would anyone notice the difference in a print? Probably, but only if both photos were there to compare, otherwise, no. Would anyone but a camera geek care about the quality difference? I doubt it. The exception would be barrel distortion, which anyone will notice. Fortunately it is correctable.

I'm a huge fan of the 50mm f/1.4. Whatever else you decide, you should consider getting one for low light and portraits. It's compact, seriously underpriced and it has image quality and speed that no zoom can match. It would let you do things the 16-45 or 18-250 won't. The big attraction of a DSLR for me was low light performance and bokeh, and the 50mm is top drawer on both.

You have the 18-250 mounted on your K20D. You have to decide if it's good enough or whether you want more. That lens has a big fan club. I wouldn't be happy without a 50mm, but then I'm never satisfied for long. I played around with a K20D today, and IMO it makes more of a difference compared to my K100DS than any lens upgrade. It's on my list now.