Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you love the FA43, I would strongly recommend against you buying the DA*55 and FA77; it may be the end of a beautiful relationship

Seriously though, buying more great lenses is always a good idea!

09-07-2017, 04:47 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
While it doesn't open past f2.8, the DA 40XS might also be worth consideration.
09-07-2017, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
am toying with an idea of let go my FA50 macro & M50 f1.7 in favor or FA43. What do you think?
I think when I was using the K-3 I replaced a 50 with the DA40 because the slightly wider FOV was more comfortable. I never regretted that decision.

Now I'm using the K-1, I got another 50 and used the 40 for a while, then replaced both with the 43. And it's been my most-used lens ever since.

On APS-C 40/43 is a little tight for walkaround, on FF it's perfect. But in any case, the 43 is a gem, I like it better than the 40 and that's saying something.

I haven’t seen city night photo and long exposure type of image taken from this lens that much. If I want to let my FA50 macro go, I want to make sure I can get a lens which can produce starbursts as beautiful as the FA50 macro. Many say FA43 is a lens with characteristic, does it extend to lens’s starbursts effect?
The best lens I've used (and I've used MANY lenses) for starbursts is the DA21. The 15 is similar.

That benig said, the 43 surprised me a lot regarding starbursts. Adam posted a fine example, here's another one, shot at F2.5 and F8:

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
How about SMMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited??
That's neither here nor there, now is it?
09-07-2017, 05:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Macro lenses do things other lenses don't do. The 43 ltd. doesn't. But you still have to draw your own conclusions.

Personally I don't see macro lenses, I collect them.

Of the last 50 images I've kept on my hargrove taken over the last few days, 23 couldn't have been taken without a macro lens, 6 were taken with a macro lens but just because it was the lens on the camera. Your mileage may vary.

If you shoot like I do selling macro lens would be blasphemy. I have the FA 50, the Sigma 70, the tamron 90 and the D FA 100, and they all get used, based on the kinds of conditions I'm likely to be facing that day.

Last edited by normhead; 09-07-2017 at 05:29 AM.
09-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a big fan of the 43, but the 77 is probably my favorite lens. I've spent weeks with the 77 stuck to my main body.
09-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #21
Forum Member

I have had the 43 for a few years now and absolutely love it. While some find the tight framing odd on a crop sensor, I find it often adds very positively to a scene whether landscape, portrait or street. It is a joy to use on a small body.

I finally got my hands on a 31 a couple of months ago and thought that would be the end of my love for the 43. Oh how wrong I was!!!
09-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you love the FA43, I would strongly recommend against you buying the DA*55 and FA77; it may be the end of a beautiful relationship

Seriously though, buying more great lenses is always a good idea!
normally I'm not one to recommend juggling romances, but this is one where I don't think they'll talk and swap notes. I might be able to slip the 77 in, and the 43 will never know

If I could only buy shares in B&H - would be nice to make some money back on my LBA!

09-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I have and am very fond of the FA 43mm LTD. I acquired this lens years ago for use on my film bodies. I liked its versatile FL and normalcy of perspective, and its excellent image quality. I have used it and like it also on APS-C DSLRs, but don't use it as much, since it is effectively a short tele lens.

For nighttime cityscapes and other uses as well, where you'd rather not have a tele effect, you might consider the very fine FA 35mm f/2, which I also have had for many years and like very much. Both are full-frame lenses, being made for film bodies, so if you should ever get a K-1 or subsequent FF body, these lenses also serve very well in that capacity.
09-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you a lot for all of your comments. They are very helpful. Its starbursts look good to me based on sample images from @bdery and @Adam
I might have to get a copy of the lense and see which one I want to keep.

@bdery I am very appreciated for the 2 samples you did. and Yes, I got both 15 and 21. I couldn't agree more with you. they are 2 of my best lenses for night walk.

People mentioned a bout DA40. I was looking at a 40 and hand on testing it a
few times. I like the size, sharpness and contrast a lot but it is a shame that its starbursts couldn't convince me.
09-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #25
Pentaxian

People mentioned a bout DA40. I was looking at a 40 and hand on testing it afew times. I like the size, sharpness and contrast a lot but it is a shame that its starbursts couldn't convince me.
I've owned the 40 also until very recently. A very dependable lens, trustworthy, it delivers good results in most situations.

It's not good for starbursts.

It also lacks some of the character that the 43 has. Images are quantitatively sharper in the corners, but do not have the same 3D pop as the 43 images offer.
09-10-2017, 10:49 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

Here is couple starburst shots with my FA 43

I just noticed that I don't have so many starburst shots with this lens...it works so well with different shots too, but that starburst is really how it is with this lens, signature of 43.

here is shallow Dof shot too, nothing special, but shows how it is on FF.

it shows it s bokeh characteristics too IMO.
EDIT: ofcourse if you get closer to the target bokeh is more pleasing, but there in that last shot it is quite typical WO bokeh. it is wild, but I have quite come to lik it's faults and what it offers. Fast 50 will be smoother.
09-11-2017, 02:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@repaap thank you very much for the sample photos. Serously, I will want to get a copy of 43mm and try it myself.
I like what I see on your second image, city landscape.
Yes, good looking starbrusts effect is a major part of my decision but it is not everything. I am also after size and weight, IQ for city night photography. Fast and autofocus are bonus.
so far, Sample image I see here are looking good.
09-11-2017, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

Another sample, F2.5 on a K1

09-11-2017, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

@repaap thank you very much for the sample photos. Serously, I will want to get a copy of 43mm and try it myself.
I like what I see on your second image, city landscape.
Yes, good looking starbrusts effect is a major part of my decision but it is not everything. I am also after size and weight, IQ for city night photography. Fast and autofocus are bonus.
so far, Sample image I see here are looking good.
You are welcome, I really think that it is worth to try it, especially if any of these shots makes it for you. It is what you'll get, if you get good copy.

good luck!