Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Another This vs. That! A* 300/4 vs Tamron (60B) 300/ 2.8

So, basically same price.

The Tamron is an Adaptall 2, is MUCH bigger and heavier but is faster and makes some stunning photos. But, you know, its about 4.5 pounds.

The A* is smaller, lighter, more packable. It also makes some great photos. It is also, generally speaking, a tad bit easier on the wallet than the Tamron. From the samples that I have seen, the A* does not isolate the subject quite as much as the Tamron can.

How will it be used? On a film body only. Will not be used on a digital body so all of the CA that everyone talks about is not too much of a problem/ concern to me. I will be using it for automotive photography so it, whichever, will be mounted on a tripod or monopod at all times. I know that the A* could be handheld but the Tamron not so much.

So, what say you? Sure an F* or FA* might be a better option but that is WAY more than I wish to spend. I am leaning towards the Tamron based on the photos that I have found where it is pretty damned sharp, even wide open. I have not found too much in the way of A* showing a ton of isolation. I am looking to be able to take whole car shots where I can make the car 'pop' a little more.

Here is an example. This was with my Bronica ETR with a 200/4.5 (around 130mm on 135 format) at 4.5 on Ektar. I am looking for a little less DoF

Obviously, I know that this is in 120 and not 135 but I use both formats.

09-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the 360B - it's a heckuva lens. Similar optics to the 60B from what I've read. Shooting it wide open can be hard. Part of my problem is that the focus ring is not as damped as I'd like, and it turns "the wrong way". I could try some wide open "whole car" shots tomorrow and post 'em here, if you think that would help (I shoot APS-C).
09-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I have the 360B - it's a heckuva lens. Similar optics to the 60B from what I've read. Shooting it wide open can be hard. Part of my problem is that the focus ring is not as damped as I'd like, and it turns "the wrong way". I could try some wide open "whole car" shots tomorrow and post 'em here, if you think that would help (I shoot APS-C).
That would be amazing. I know it will not be quite the same but I'd be curious to see what it does wide open on a whole car. I could adapt to something going the "wrong" way. It really seems like a beast of a lens.

I know the A* is a great one too but samples do not show quite the DoF that this Tamron does.

09-11-2017, 03:54 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derelict Quote
That would be amazing. I know it will not be quite the same but I'd be curious to see what it does wide open on a whole car. I could adapt to something going the "wrong" way. It really seems like a beast of a lens.

I know the A* is a great one too but samples do not show quite the DoF that this Tamron does.
The subject will be far from exciting - an old Nissan Sentra - but hopefully the results will be useful to you. I'll post the pics tomorrow evening.

09-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The subject will be far from exciting - an old Nissan Sentra
Shoot it during the golden hour to try and give it your all
09-12-2017, 04:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The subject will be far from exciting - an old Nissan Sentra - but hopefully the results will be useful to you. I'll post the pics tomorrow evening.
Subject matter is not that important. I can appreciate all cars, especially when photographed well. I appreciate the effort.
09-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I own the A*300/4 a really nice lens, it is very good from f5.6 on, but the min. focus distance is 4 meters. Why you dont use the DA*200/2.8 – great bokeh and tac sharp.

09-27-2017, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an A* 300/4 and it's a fine lens on crop or ff. I usually shoot stopped down for max dof.

If your goal is isolation rather than reach then I agree you could use a shorter but faster lens for your needs. If you really need 300mm then the Tamron will be able to give greater separation. Keep in mind you may want your DOF to cover the whole car so that might limit you before the max aperture does for how far you can open up.
09-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, rather than risk the Tamron I went with a known quantity and picked up the A*. I have only used it on my old ist DS and what I saw impressed me. I am going to hopefully be shooting an old 53 Chevy truck soon so it will be put through a run of frames in my MX very soon.
09-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I owned the AD-2 SP 300/2.8 (360B) for many years. It wasn't a DA*300 but it never failed to satisfy me if I used it intelligently. The multi-body, Adaptall versatility was a major plus and helped justify the cost.

This older pix was with a K200 + 360B + Tamron Pz-AF 1.4x TC @ f5.6 at109 yds. I considered the 2.8 aperture to be a helpful focusing aid and shot at f4-8 whenever possible.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
09-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I owned the AD-2 SP 300/2.8 (360B) for many years. It wasn't a DA*300 but it never failed to satisfy me if I used it intelligently. The multi-body, Adaptall versatility was a major plus and helped justify the cost.

This older pix was with a K200 + 360B + Tamron Pz-AF 1.4x TC @ f5.6 at109 yds. I considered the 2.8 aperture to be a helpful focusing aid and shot at f4-8 whenever possible.

Thats a great shot. I got a great deal on the A* and I could not get a straight answer from the seller of the Tamron as to the condition of the adapter and whether or not both filters were present. Devil you know over the devil you dont. The way the A* handles is pretty incredible. I will probably be shooting it somewhere around 4.5 or so a majority of the time. I will post up results when I get them.
09-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The way the A* handles is pretty incredible.
True. I've had some of the lighter 300's - the M42's - but not an A* - and they're pleasant to shot with.

But one thing I've found with the larger, heavier lenses is that I seem to take a more disciplined approach to using them simply because they DO take thoughtful intent. Consequently I feel like I had more consistently good results as much because of attention to detail as to inherent lens quality.

My DA*300's a fine combination of all things tele in my experience. A pleasure to use.
09-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

You'd get away with f4 for isolation purposes on a FF imo.

F*300/4.5 (mostly shot at f5.6 iirc) on K1

09-28-2017, 04:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thats a great shot. I got a great deal on the A* and I could not get a straight answer from the seller of the Tamron as to the condition of the adapter and whether or not both filters were present. Devil you know over the devil you dont. The way the A* handles is pretty incredible. I will probably be shooting it somewhere around 4.5 or so a majority of the time. I will post up results when I get them.
I have the A* version and I love it. The only thing I need to be careful is purple fringing. Avoid direct sunlight is a good move.
Manual focus is simply a joy to use. (see the distance marking)

09-28-2017, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
You'd get away with f4 for isolation purposes on a FF imo.

F*300/4.5 (mostly shot at f5.6 iirc) on K1

Those are great shots and exactly what I am looking to get as results.

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
I have the A* version and I love it. The only thing I need to be careful is purple fringing. Avoid direct sunlight is a good move.
Manual focus is simply a joy to use. (see the distance marking)
I regularly shoot with a Zeiss folding camera that is zone focus only. You have to run hyperfocal numbers and distance guesses to get a good photo. It is difficult but when you nail it, totally great experience. The DoF is really shallow.