Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would probably either go with a 70-200mm f/2.8 or the Sigma 100-300mm f4 (if you can find one). That 300mm lens will let you get tight shots of individual members, and on a modern DSLR the f4 should be fast enough in most decently lit night venues.

If you want something smaller, the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 is also a very good alternative to the Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8. It has a little more reach, as well as silent HSM autofocus.

08-21-2018, 06:50 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I feel confident that I would like to keep a good 300mm range in my bag after looking back at my photos. So upgrading bodies and upgrading my telephoto zoom lens are on my list. I do like a decent telephoto zoom, the Pentax offering is ideal but that Sigma 100-300 looks promising too just a less range. Argh!!! Mo money, more spending right? Where's that "if you have $5K to spend in a day" fun money?
08-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Update.....brokedown and bought a KP + 55-300 PLM. Took it out today and made some tough shots with it. Indoor product shots with no flash and outside stadium under the lights. I’m pleased so far with the performance, just need to spend some time getting to know it and work on my skills again. Really impressed that I got several keepers under the lights at 300mm. May need to up the ISO more than 3200 to get faster shutter speeds. Need to set up my user modes for just these situations. Any helpful hints are welcome!
08-31-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MacGirl Quote
Update.....brokedown and bought a KP + 55-300 PLM. Took it out today and made some tough shots with it. Indoor product shots with no flash and outside stadium under the lights. I’m pleased so far with the performance, just need to spend some time getting to know it and work on my skills again. Really impressed that I got several keepers under the lights at 300mm. May need to up the ISO more than 3200 to get faster shutter speeds. Need to set up my user modes for just these situations. Any helpful hints are welcome!
Try to get very close, Macgirl. Use any power and influence you have to be with the performers instead of up in the stands. The lens gets weaker at the 300mm end.

Ultimately, if this is what you love it leads to an f2.8 zoom, because that will let in four to five times the amount of light and let you keep your shutter speed up to 1/500s without destroying your ISO.

09-02-2018, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MacGirl Quote
Nice combo you got, enjoy it. I little tip with the 55-300 that I use with my K-3. Don't zoom all the way out to 300mm. I stop at about 280mm which is just short of 300mm The difference in what you see is minimal but the maximum aperture is 5.6 (or maybe 5.8) rather than f 6.3. This makes a difference if you are shooting in poor light or on overcast days.