Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Normal Zoom for K-S2 to Replace HD DA 20-40 Limited

Hello,

SquareTrade just dropped me line that they cannot repair my HD DA 20-40 and will be sending me a check. I do have an A 24-50 which I bought when I was in China as a temporary replacement. However now I would like to get an autofocus lens for this focal length. I do not want to spend more than 200-300 bucks on this lens (the exact amount will depend on how much SquareTrade gives me), and ideally it should be an FF lens with an aperture ring (because I still have a few film SLRs and I have also gotten myself a Sony a7 which I intend to share lenses with).

I have considered F 24-50 but no one on eBay seems to be offering it at an reasonable price. I have also considered the FA 24-90 which has a similar focal range and aperture on the K-S2 compared to the Minolta 24-105 on my Sony, but the price also seem to have skyrocketed. Are there any other options (doesn't have to be Pentax, as long as it has performance on par or better with A 24-50 and can autofocus), or should I hold on to my A 24-50 for now?

Sincerely

09-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
20-40

First things first, what happened to the DA20-40? I thought that lens was, if nothing else, bullet proof.
09-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
First things first, what happened to the DA20-40? I thought that lens was, if nothing else, bullet proof.
For some unknown reason, it was crocked and was decentered. Not sure what happened to it.
09-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Hello,

SquareTrade just dropped me line that they cannot repair my HD DA 20-40 and will be sending me a check. I do have an A 24-50 which I bought when I was in China as a temporary replacement. However now I would like to get an autofocus lens for this focal length. I do not want to spend more than 200-300 bucks on this lens (the exact amount will depend on how much SquareTrade gives me), and ideally it should be an FF lens with an aperture ring (because I still have a few film SLRs and I have also gotten myself a Sony a7 which I intend to share lenses with).

I have considered F 24-50 but no one on eBay seems to be offering it at an reasonable price. I have also considered the FA 24-90 which has a similar focal range and aperture on the K-S2 compared to the Minolta 24-105 on my Sony, but the price also seem to have skyrocketed. Are there any other options (doesn't have to be Pentax, as long as it has performance on par or better with A 24-50 and can autofocus), or should I hold on to my A 24-50 for now?

Sincerely
Here are the first-party options, up to 28mm on the wide and and at least 45mm on the tele end, FF, and with an aperture ring:

Full Frame Lenses with Aperture Ring | PentaxForums.com

I'd say your options are quite limited- would probably be best to pick up a 18-135mm for the K-S2 and get dedicated prime options for FF. Other than that the 24-50mm is a solid choice.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Edit: I need to read full posts before replying.

Sigma 24-70's sound nice.
09-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tamron 28-75 2.8
09-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here are the first-party options, up to 28mm on the wide and and at least 45mm on the tele end, FF, and with an aperture ring:

Full Frame Lenses with Aperture Ring | PentaxForums.com

I'd say your options are quite limited- would probably be best to pick up a 18-135mm for the K-S2 and get dedicated prime options for FF. Other than that the 24-50mm is a solid choice.
What about the Sigma 17-50/2.8? It seems to be the closest match to the DA 20-40 if I give up the FF requirement (good IQ, has a silent motor). But it seems that the dock is not supported, so I don't know if I can fix things like back focusing.
09-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

SquareTrade just dropped me line that they cannot repair my HD DA 20-40 and will be sending me a check. I would like to get an autofocus lens for this focal length. I do not want to spend more than 200-300 bucks on this lens (the exact amount will depend on how much SquareTrade gives me), and ideally it should be an FF lens with an aperture ring
Sorry to hear about your DA 20 - 40, and that Square Trade couldn't get it back working for you.

The FA 20 - 35 was the predecessor lens to the DA 20 - 40, and is an FF lens with an aperture ring.
You may find one at the upper end of your price range.

09-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What about the Sigma 17-50/2.8? It seems to be the closest match to the DA 20-40 if I give up the FF requirement (good IQ, has a silent motor). But it seems that the dock is not supported, so I don't know if I can fix things like back focusing.
It's a solid lens, and one that's available at a bargain price too. If the in-camera corrections don't suffice you can always send it in for adjustment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: