08-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA35/2.8 at photozone.de

Pentax SMC DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited macro - Review / Test Report

I'm with Klaus's opinion.

08-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

It seems like this lens outperforms the K10D. I'd like one, but that means I'd need a K20D to use it properly.
08-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

This like the 4th thread on this review.
08-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ogl, actually, I think Klaus likes it more than you, based on his review.

Anyway, could you take a few minutes and have a look at the images in this thread, and tell me what specifically you don't like about them?

08-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
could you take a few minutes and have a look at the images in this thread, and tell me what specifically you don't like about them?
dull (c) ogl
08-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The linked thread above had critics complaining about it being tested on the K20D and here it is on the k10D. Perhaps it should be reviewed by them on K20D, k10d, and k200d.
08-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA35 Macro: the most controversial Pentax lens ever!

08-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
DA35 Macro: the most controversial Pentax lens ever!
I guess I better keep it separated from my other lenses to keep down trouble.
08-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

All the way with LBA
08-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Natural Cycle

Regarding the DA 35, I have it, I love it, I think there IS something special about the way it renders. I love that I can use it for street photography and go right into an extreme closeup. I've even defended it recently in this forum. All that being said, I think it's a bit silly for us (yes, I include me) to be arguing about it.

First of all, everyone has different ideas of what they want their own photos to look like. If this wasn't true, there'd be no need for lightroom or photoshop, there would just be one program that had a "Make My Picture Perfect" option. For instance, I like what I've seen of the FA 31 and FA 43, but not as much as the DA ltds. I don't find that mystery quality others find in those photos. Check that, I SEE what they're talking about, but I don't particularly like it. No biggie, to each his or her own. I definitely like the DA 35 more than the FA 31, but I got no problem with others being opposite that.

Secondly, regarding the two reviews, one is clearly subjective and one is technical. As many others have stated, neither one should be taken as the final word on whether or the lens is great. I'm glad the first two guys liked it, but I liked it before their article. And I trust Klaus' technical review, and find it interesting, but couldn't care less if he recommends it or not, I like it.

Finally, Ogl, and I don't say this with any malice at all, but it seems a bit strange for you to cite the photozone review to back up your campaign against this lens, when your biggest complaints about the lens are that it's "dull" and has "no mystic," two categories that I couldn't find in Klaus' test.

Oh, one more thing in regards to my post title: check out the differing opinions on the DA 40 when it came out (a lens that has been cited as better than the DA 35 in this current round of lens disputes). Some of the arguments sound strangely similar:

Why so little lust for the DA 40mm ? [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Many lenses, many users, many needs, everyone can be happy with what they have!

Todd
08-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #11

I own a DA35 2.8 and a K10D. I think it is an excellent lens - sharp, good colour rendition, more than acceptable bokeh, excellent build quality and handling.

Whether it is the best lens in the universe I do not know, or care, but it is another very fine lens from Pentax and should be recognised as such.

You can photograph test charts and pixel-peep as much as you like but they will just stop you enjoying photography!
08-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
It's good...You can love this lens...
But, if we start to compare - DA35 is only good MACRO lens, but the weakest LIMITED.
Even FA35 is better in resolution and faster.
08-23-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
But, if we start to compare - DA35 is only good MACRO lens, but the weakest LIMITED.
I find this funny as hell coming from someone that don't apparently own a DA 35mm Limited macro lens.
08-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Exactly my point

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If we start to compare:

My experience has led me to believe that the DA 35 is not only a good macro lens, it performs very well in street photography and for landscapes. YOU think it's only a good macro lens. I owned the DA 70 and sold it because I didn't think it was as good or as versatile as the DA 35, for me. YOU think it's the weakest limited, many others don't. In terms of resolution, it's not the only aspect of rendering (although my copy of the DA 35 is tack sharp), nor the reason you've given before for not liking this lens. As far as speed, who cares? I don't take photos in closets, so I don't need f/2. As far as macro, I don't do bugs very often, so I don't need 100mm. Again, different people, different needs, and different SUBJECTIVE viewpoints on which LTDs. are the best. And I'm totally cool with you not liking it, but your argument against the lens is based largely on your opinion, and on one resolution test, so it's no more valid than anyone else's opinion (mine included) of this lens. Good Day, Sir

Todd
08-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I find this funny as hell coming from someone that don't apparently own a DA 35mm Limited macro lens.
ogl sold his DA35 some time ago... probably before you joined this forum.