Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Nice! I recently got an offer for my 77mm I put on that offerup app at your same price. The guy asked if it was MIJ or AIV so I'm pretty sure he knew he was lowballing me! Seriously, if I wanted to get rid of it within minutes I would put it on here for $500 haha
BTW, I should have added that mine is MIJ

Steve

02-17-2019, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Once again I am reviving my own old thread. I liked the Rokinon in K mount so much that when I saw a Samyang in NX mount, I pulled out my credit card and clicked on 'buy.' After a lengthy delay in clearing customs, the package finally arrived. I have taken a few pictures and so far I am happy but not ecstatic. Nothing wrong with it, it's in excellent condition. It delivers all the goodness that I have experienced on my Pentax bodies on my Samsung bodies.

There is a bit of a downside, though. The K mount version functions identical to any other A series manual focus lens on a Pentax body. The NX mount version of the lens does not talk to the camera. Not at all. There aren't even any electronic contacts on the back of the lens. This means manual mode only. No lens or aperture in the EXIF data. Manual focus aids in my Samsung bodies do not work. Functionally it is exactly the same as the K mount lens with an adapter. Not really what was expected, I should have researched it better. The thing is, resellers can't be bothered to put up images of the actual items that are on sale. Manufacturers can't be bothered to put up photos of every lens in every mount that they make. Manual focus lenses for Samsung cameras are a small niche inside a small niche market and information is not easy to obtain.

So. I got nothing that the K mount lens on an adapter cannot do. But I like it and will be keeping it. Besides, sending it back will cost a bundle and I wouldn't get a refund on the taxes that I had to pay upon importing the item. Manual exposure isn't so bad and I can live without the focusing aids. The EVF on my NX1 helps a lot - easier to use than Live View on my K-x. When stopping down, the viewfinder brightens up automatically to compensate - one of the nice things about mirrorless. As a final bonus, both my Pentax and Samsung camera bags now contain 85mm f/1.4 lenses.

PS: For old guys with glasses like me, a couple of words of advice on using an OVF to focus this lens: forget it!
02-19-2019, 03:42 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the samyang 85/1.4 (vivitar branded) and have used it now for about 9 years. I got it because for the price it was almost the only fast 85 to be had, but have learned with this and other samyang offerings, that there is nothing wrong with either their optical design or coatings.

Shortly after buying the samyang, I happened upon a supertak 85/1.9 so I did what anyone would do with a lens like this for $200 (remember 2010) I bought it too.

I love both lenses but the convenience of an A series lens would make me recommend the samyang to anyone over a legacy lens , IF you could only buy one.