Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2017, 05:44 PM - 5 Likes   #61

I only have one 85mm prime, the M85 f2. I must say that I use it more for landscape than portraiture. On the K3 it is very sharp edge to edge to that use. Color and contrast does not match the DA limiteds, but I never hesitate to grap this lens if it is the right focal length.

Last edited by ddbarchitect; 09-17-2018 at 09:07 PM.
10-01-2017, 01:59 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You might want to add a review for your copy on this site. It will be the only one out of 42 reviews reporting element separation.

Steve
Some more reports from a quick google search here, you'll rarely find this issue reported with other vintage pentax lenses.

SMC M 85/2 cement separation - fixable? - PentaxForums.com
What happened to my M85/f2? - PentaxForums.com
10-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Some more reports from a quick google search here, you'll rarely find this issue reported with other vintage pentax lenses.

SMC M 85/2 cement separation - fixable? - PentaxForums.com
What happened to my M85/f2? - PentaxForums.com
Yep...you and one other person on those two threads. I still think you should add a review calling out your experience with this problem. As for rarity, separation is not unknown. We probably see a half dozen examples per year on this site involving a wide range of lenses. I have had a couple come through my hands as part of various purchases. It is common enough that most repair technicians are able to do the repair for a reasonable cost. The ones I had, I gave in trade for other stuff with my local repair guy and he fixed them for resale.

Steve
10-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #64
Pentaxian

..It is common enough that most repair technicians are able to do the repair for a reasonable cost..
I doubt if re-cementing is so trivial to fix.

07-26-2018, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Reviving an old(ish) thread, but I did start it, hehehe.

I have finally pulled the trigger on a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4. A sweet deal for about $140. The extra stop of aperture and all the bokeh goodness it brings swung the balance in its favor over the Pentax. The ability to shoot in auto mode, including P-TTL flash, sealed the deal. A few choices had to be made along the way. Earlier this year, I passed up on a Takumar 85mm f/1.8. Yes, it is a legend but operating an M42 lens on a DSLR is a bit of an art. I kept the funds in the piggy bank. I was about to order a new lens when a really sweet deal on a Samsung NX1 kit came my way.

It arrived yesterday. I was excited and could not wait to try it out. At this point I have to confess that my Pentaxes have been sitting in the bag for a while. The K-x went out for a couple of short trips but apart from that it did not see a lot of use. That "new" Samsung NX1 was used the rest of the time. Anyway, karma (and neglect of my Pentaxes) caught up with me and I only got a couple of shots off on the K-x before the batteries died. The K200D wouldn't even turn on. Pretty much all my double A's turned out to be dead. This meant that I had to abandon further shooting in order to charge them up again.

Here is an early effort, shot tonight. Unfortunately, it was dark by the time I got home and proper shooting will have to wait for the weekend. I just love the extreme depth of field. Or the lack of it, to be correct. This going to be fun! I can't wait.

Finally, in one of life's ironies, I can get an M 85mm f/2 for about $200 right now. I think I will pass up on that. Or maybe I should...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by Wasp; 07-27-2018 at 12:07 AM.
07-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #66

next step is to buy a pentax k to nx adapter.ü
07-28-2018, 01:09 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A Samsung NX to Pentax K adapter has indeed been on my shopping list for a long time.

There are some nice looking cheap ones on fleabay. The only trouble is the shipping arrangements. Your package gets put on a slow boat from China (literally). Even so, if I had been more proactive I could have had it by now.

There was no hurry before. The Samsung NX100 and Pentax K-x are quite similar in IQ et al. If I want to take a picture with a K mount lens, I use a Pentax camera - Q.E.D.

My recent acquisition of NX1 and this lens changes the picture (literally). Time to do some shopping. I will probably use the rainbow forest website, or one of large US photographic retailers. While I am shelling out for shipping, I might as well stock up on 72mm UV filters lens protectors. My Samsung 16-50 and 50-150 lenses also take this size. Walking around with naked lenses is a bit of a risk.

Many years ago, my camera bag took a heavy tumble and I lost the 77mm filter on the front of my 400mm. That left convinced me of the need for an additional piece of glass on a lens ever since. At present it feels like I am living dangerously.

08-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I got my FA 77/1.8 Limited new for less than that.
Less than $600 new?! Where might I ask?
08-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #69
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Reviving an old(ish) thread, but I did start it, hehehe.

I have finally pulled the trigger on a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4. A sweet deal for about $140.
I've got both the Samyang 85mm and M85 f2 … nice bokeh on both, but neither are sharp lenses, I'm afraid.
08-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Maybe annual rebate and discounts
08-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Maybe annual rebate and discounts
When Ritz/Kits Camera folded a few years ago, their inventory was apparently bought sold at lot as part of inventory liquidation. Part of that inventory was a goodly number of Pentax lenses and cameras. A few months later, Prodigital2000, an eBay storefront, featured a good selection of Pentax stuff. Included were several Pentax-A 77/1.8 Limited in black. I believe the asking price was $789 BIN or "Make Offer". On a lark, I offered $500 and it was accepted. The lens was brand-new with N. America warranty and included 3-year Mac contract and a very nice Cokin skylight filter.

Steve

(...unbelievably lucky, eh?)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-12-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: clarification
08-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I offered $500 and it was accepted.
Nice! I recently got an offer for my 77mm I put on that offerup app at your same price. The guy asked if it was MIJ or AIV so I'm pretty sure he knew he was lowballing me! Seriously, if I wanted to get rid of it within minutes I would put it on here for $500 haha

---------- Post added 08-11-18 at 01:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've got both the Samyang 85mm and M85 f2
Whats the focus throw like on these lenses, might I ask? I had to get rid of my Super Tak 85mm 1.9 because as a walk around lens it felt like it took days to get from one end to the next!
08-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Rokinon 85mm and it is plenty sharp for me even wide open.

On the K-1wide open. The one thing I do not like about this lens is the minimum focus distance.

08-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #74
Pentaxian

The M85/2 is unique in that its very small and in the context of comparing with the Samyang, its also sharp at f8-11 for landscapes.
So overall, its a portable and versatile 85mm lens.
I find that a bigger 85mm lens like the FA*85 is a more specialized lens because of its size/weight and I'd only use it for portrait work.

Samples with the M85/2

08-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #75
Veteran Member

When Ritz/Kits Camera folded a few years ago, their inventory was apparently bought at lot as part of inventory liquidation. Part of that inventory was a goodly number of Pentax lenses and cameras. A few months later, Prodigital2000, an eBay storefront featured a good selection of Pentax stuff. Included were several Pentax-A 77/1.8 Limited in black. I believe the asking price was $789 BIN or "Make Offer". On a lark, I offered $500 and it was accepted. The lens was brand-new with N. America warranty and included 3-year Mac contract and a very nice Cokin skylight filter.

Steve

(...unbelievably lucky, eh?)
Wow. you should've immediately purchased few lottery tickets, you'd be living on your own island now (maybe you are, who knows!!!!)