Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Tamron Di II 18-200mm vs. Tamron or Pentax 18-250mm vs. ???

I am about to buy a Pentax K10D and am looking for a 'walk around' or all in one lens to use while I'm learning (and financially recovering from) the camera. Also, since outdoor photgraphy (and dirty outdoor photography at that) will be 90% of what I shoot, I like the idea of sticking to one lens most of the time to avoid carry weight/clutter and dust on the sensor. I hear a lot of great things about the Tamron(and Pentax) 18-250's on here and very little about the shorter Tammy, the 18-200. Is there an IQ/performance difference between the two? The reviews for the 18-200 seemed a bit worse (vignetting, barrel distortion and softness at the 200mm end). Actually, I'm more interested in the wide end than the zoom end (but still would like to have a bigish zoom there for versatility). In fact, I'm also thinking going wider/shorter with the Sigma DC 17-70mm but I'm a little spooked by what I've heard regarding Sigma's quality control. If I do go with the Tamron, for the money saved, the 200mm is enough zoom if the image quality is the same. Also, if you have any other recommendations in the "wide as possible to 70+ mm" range do let me know.
Thanks in advance!

08-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
morning Paddy.....i own 2 sigma's 24-105 and 28-300 DG both perform well. The sigmas for all they are worth suffer from lens creep, and while the 28-300 has a lock on it it failed after a few months. i decided to try the Tammy;s as i had an 28-80 and liked it so i bought the 18-250 LD II , a great performer for the money and it stays on my k10 most of the time....this week, i picked up the 17-70 f/2.8 XR DG ....superb glass . I would rate the Tamrons over the Sigmas only by a margin, however the Tammy lock stays locked and there is no lens creep....either way you have a good walk around lens. good luck, and lets see some pics when you get up and ' walking '....have a good day !
08-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I guess the SLRgear reviews answered my initial question. The 18-250 is a newer model with improved performance. Looks like for now its going to be a decision between that and the Sigma 17-70mm. I do dig that metal mount on the Sigma...and the sample images I saw on themotleypixel.com are razor sharp (not sure if thats the lens or the photographer though). Decisions descisions!