Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 04:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Aging Tamron 75-300- What next?

Hi,

I'm a wildlife photographer based in India. I use a Pentax K 100D with the kit lens, a Vivitar 50mm f/1.7 and Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 LD AF. I'm waiting for a Sigma 170-500 f/5-6.3 APO DG that'll arrive in around 6 weeks (took a hell lot of looking around to find my mount, and finally having to get it made to order from Japan).

A couple of months ago while I was on a shoot the Tamron's focusing ring refused to move beyond the 50m mark. I got it fixed in Bangalore and a worn plastic bush was to blame. It has been replaced now and the lens is optically sound now and auto-focusing fine. But, the focus ring sometimes feels crude now and at times the lens refuses to dismount from the body if I've left the body in AF mode... I have to bring the switch on the body back to 'M' to dismount the lens.

I guess the lens will go on for at least another year without glitches, but still, its not a nice feeling owning less-than-perfect glass...

The Sigma 170-500 overlaps most of this lens's range, but I'd still want something to replace the Tamron. Something that is hand-holdable, covers the difference between my 18-55 and the big Sigma (and I'm still inclined towards 300mm at the long end), to shoot large mammals. But I don't think I'll go in for another conventional 75-300 (unless its Pentax)... I want something sharper, not so expensive and preferably Pentax to replace my aging (only 1 and 1/2 years old) Tamron.

Would love some advice here.

The Pentax 55-300 looks interesting. Also, I'm wondering about a 100-300 f/4 if I can get it for similar cash.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Aditya

Last edited by Aditya Panda; 08-23-2008 at 05:04 AM. Reason: typo
08-23-2008, 05:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
go for a used sigma APO 70-200 F2.8 EX and a 1.4x Sigma TC.

I have the origonal versio of this lens and it is incredibly sharp with both 1.4x and 2x TCs.

they are not cheap, if you can find one, but they are well worth it.
08-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
go for a used sigma APO 70-200 F2.8 EX and a 1.4x Sigma TC.

I have the origonal versio of this lens and it is incredibly sharp with both 1.4x and 2x TCs.

they are not cheap, if you can find one, but they are well worth it.
Thanks Lowell. But that lens is gonna be incredibly expensive too!!
08-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Aditya:

It sounds to me like the logical choice for you would be the 55-300 mm Pentax. I have the Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) and also the Sigma 70-300 APO DG. For me, at least, the Bigma is simply too heavy to be much of a walk-around lens, and although the 70-300 is a pretty good zoom telephoto, the consensus seems to be that the 55-300 Pentax is a much better lens. The only thing that keeps me from purchasing the Pentax is that I'm waiting to see how the 60-250 f/4 performs.

CN

08-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aditya Panda Quote
Thanks Lowell. But that lens is gonna be incredibly expensive too!!
Maybe for the initial outlay, but you won't replace it 2 or 3 times

I guess the question is where you want to get to long term with your lenses.

Given you have the 170-500, and I wont argue about that lenses quality, I had assumed that you were looking for similar in the lower end.

the 70-200 F2.8 plus a 1.4x TC gives you better speed at short focal lengths, covers the range you want, and will give high quality images.

You need to really think system, you have the long end nailed down, start thinking about filling the middle.

I know it may be expensive, but really how much will it cost. I have seen prices fluctuate from about 700 - 1300 used, depending on how bad someone wants it.

check the market place, they pop up from time to time.

otherwise, look at the sigma 50-150 F2.8 a little smaller and lighter. but it can't transition as easily to 300 mm
08-26-2008, 02:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
@Clem: 60-250 f/4 sounds interesting. Any inputs on it?

@Lowell: Your point makes total sense. But again, I guess I'll have to wait a while before I can come across one that suits my budget... till then will have to make do with the Tamron

Regards,
Aditya
08-26-2008, 02:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
@ Clem: Just read that the 60-250 is an SDM lens... too bad I use a K 100D. As it is, there is so little choice in Pentax lenses (comparatively, and I mean the mid-long telephoto range). Pentax has limited even that by not letting the K 100D accept SDM lenses. I had to settle for the Sigma 170-500 even though I could afford the 150-500 only because my body wouldn't support Sigma's HSM... wonder if Pentax might surprise us someday by offering a firmware update allowing K 100Ds to accept SDMs... wonder if that is even technically possible...
08-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aditya Panda Quote
@ Clem: Just read that the 60-250 is an SDM lens...
Unless I missed something, i don't think it is yet known whether it will be SDM *only* like the 17-70, or SDM and screw drive, like the other SDM lenses. but I guess at this point I wouldn't be surprised either way.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax has limited even that by not letting the K 100D accept SDM lenses.
You make it sound like they made a conscious choice to limit the K100D in this way. But actually, SDM didn't exist when the K100D was released. So you might as well say that Pentax limited the the classic old film camera, the K1000, by not letting it accept autofocus.

QuoteQuote:
I had to settle for the Sigma 170-500 even though I could afford the 150-500 only because my body wouldn't support Sigma's HSM...
Seems it this is going to be an issue for you, you'd be far better off selling the K100D and getting an K100D Super, which does support SDM - or perhaps even one of the more recent bodies. It would probably only cost a couple hundreds dollars net.

QuoteQuote:
wonder if Pentax might surprise us someday by offering a firmware update allowing K 100Ds to accept SDMs... wonder if that is even technically possible...
I highly doubt it. Either the camera has the necessary electric contact or it doesn't, it would seem to me.

08-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Unless I missed something, i don't think it is yet known whether it will be SDM *only* like the 17-70, or SDM and screw drive, like the other SDM lenses. but I guess at this point I wouldn't be surprised either way.

You make it sound like they made a conscious choice to limit the K100D in this way. But actually, SDM didn't exist when the K100D was released. So you might as well say that Pentax limited the the classic old film camera, the K1000, by not letting it accept autofocus.

Seems it this is going to be an issue for you, you'd be far better off selling the K100D and getting an K100D Super, which does support SDM - or perhaps even one of the more recent bodies. It would probably only cost a couple hundreds dollars net.

I highly doubt it. Either the camera has the necessary electric contact or it doesn't, it would seem to me.
No Marc, I am quite aware about the absence of SDM when the K 100D was launched. As far as I know, the case was the same even when the K 10D was launched, but Pentax later offered a firmware update that fixed it... I was hoping for something similar for the K 100D. But as you pointed, may be it doesn't have the proper electrical contacts or supporting it. Anyways, its been a while since the K 100D had any firmware updates.

Cheers.