Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2017, 06:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax NOCTA infrared

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone has info about this?

Asahi Pentax NOCTA Vintage Infrared Camera w/ 300mm f/3.3 NC-Takumar- VERY RARE | eBay

09-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It's an Infrared camera, primarily for police/military. That seems to be the same one that's been on eBay for a while due to its inflated price tag.

They are very rare, but the market isn't really there.
09-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I wonder if this would quality for our camera database- technically it's a Pentax!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There's already a thread about the Asahi Pentax Nocta:
Pentax Nocta brochure - PentaxForums.com
Pentax NOCTA
Twenty Questions with Eric Hendrickson - Columns | PentaxForums.com

09-19-2017, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As a collector's item, it could well be worth the $7k asking price, but one of today's converted DSLRs could put it to shame. The Nocta used a vacuum tube converter to convert an "electron image" created by a front electron-emissive element to a visible image using a phosphorescent screen which gave a grainy, low resolution image. That image was captured on film. These tubes were fairly sensitive to IR and could go a bit further into the IR range than today's DSLR sensors. They required a high voltage supply (15 to 20 kilovolts) and some had x-ray emission issues (leaded glass was used in the lenses of some direct view IR scopes). At that time, it was the only practical way to see in infrared realtime. There were infrared goggles used in many film processing labs so loading and handling of film could be done (not infrared film!). Nowadays film labs use ................

If I were a camera collector, would probably be clamoring to get a Nocta for my collection, but if you want an IR camera, there are substantially better options today.
09-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope. That one's above my discretionary authority, and I'm not going to the well for a shelf queen.
09-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
If I had the luxury of dropping several thousand dollars for a Pentax ultra-rarity, it would definitely be the Ultra Achromatic Takumar 85mm. Supposedly only ~30 ever made and one's on eBay sitting with no bids at $4k:

Pentax Asahi Takumar ultra-achromatic-takumar 85mm f/4.5 lens Japan 2471925 rare | eBay
IIRC Asahiflex once did a thread on that lens - with photos of his copy . . .