Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am certainly no expert and I am attempting to learn macro photography using a D FA 100 mm F 2.8 macro ( not the W R version )

I chose an experienced copy of that lens because I had read about how close you must be to your target to use the D FA 50 mm F2.8 macro

both the D FA macro lenses have max. magnification 1 x

now I just checked the reviews of the lenses under discussion and found that Max. Magnification 0.15x

SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

whether that is importance to the OP I don't know but I thought I would mention it.

isn't there a difference between a lens designed for macro and an " ordinary " lens: in the lens' shape and construction of the actual lens?

portrait - What's the difference between a regular lens and a macro lens? - Photography Stack Exchange

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/photography-video-capture/cameras/what-is-a-...lained-1320803

do the differences between a macro and non macro lens matter if the OP does as suggested by others: extension tubes, teleconverter, Ranox add on lens?

I hope some one can educate me on that

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-21-2017 at 03:23 PM.
09-21-2017, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

now I just checked the reviews of the lenses under discussion and found that Max. Magnification 0.15x
But the extension tubes the OP is proposing fixes that.

50mm on top of the M50 will give him 1:1 just like your D FA 50.
09-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But the extension tubes the OP is proposing fixes that.

50mm on top of the M50 will give him 1:1 just like your D FA 50.
so you are saying the either of the 50 mm plus the extension tubes gets you 1:1

just like the 1: 1 you get with the D FA 50 macro and the D FA 100 macro

thanks for the info.
09-22-2017, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You are going to be hard pressed to find decent extension rings that will transfer aperture information. You might as well get the Pentax-m 50mm 1.7. It has the same optics as the a version but has better build quality and is cheaper.

09-22-2017, 03:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the OP is buying a lens, and can deal with manual aperture and focus, the M 50 f4 Macro seems like a really nice piece of hardware. And it's not expensive on the used market, I think under $100 is the rule and not the exception.
09-22-2017, 04:23 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I found my D FA 100 mm macro at the Market Place for just a little bit more than $ 100

if there is no hurry, perhaps the OP should make a wish list, start looking and be patient who knows what might turn up in the form of an " experienced " lens

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-22-2017 at 07:12 AM.
09-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rather than buying an older manual lens to save a little money, I'd look for a copy of the FA 50 2.8 Macro. It can be found for between $100 and $200, is extremely sharp, and doubles as a pretty nice wider landscape lens.

09-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Rather than buying an older manual lens to save a little money, I'd look for a copy of the FA 50 2.8 Macro. It can be found for between $100 and $200, is extremely sharp, and doubles as a pretty nice wider landscape lens.
The 50mm Macro Takumars and K Macro is slower at a maximum aperture of 4, are also very sharp, if you don't mind manual focusing.

I have a few "Macro" lenses, but the Macro Takumar is my favorite, with its preset aperture, and 1:1 macro zoom. Old yes, SMC no, but really sharp and has great color rendering. Plus, it has unique star-shaped bokeh for most of its aperture range

Also, I thought there was a preference for manual focus for macro images?
09-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those older f4 50 Macro's come complete with Tessar image rendering and "pop". I kind of want one for a walk-about & casual portrait lens and consider the close focusing ability another bonus.
09-22-2017, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
so you are saying the either of the 50 mm plus the extension tubes gets you 1:1

just like the 1: 1 you get with the D FA 50 macro and the D FA 100 macro

thanks for the info.
I'm no expert either, but recently came to the conclusion that the choices of terminology, and how it is discussed in the world of macro is very confusing/misleading. They way I see it, that makes the most sense to me, is that a macro lens is simply a close focusing lens. Sure some will have different optics to give a flatter image, but a 50mm focusing on a object 40cm away, will be the same regardless of lens. The difference is a macro lens has enough throw on the focus, to focus at 20cm hence the subject can be larger. Because primes usually focus by moving all the lenses together towards or away from the sensor, a lens with more focusing threads to move the glass further from the sensor can effectively focus closer. If the lens can't do that, you can give it some help by spacing the lens further away with an extension tube.

I've also come to the conclusion that on Pentax, it's easiest to just buy a macro lens. They can be found cheaper than the hard to find extension tubes that pass aperture info.
09-22-2017, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

De-glassing a teleconverter with "A" settings to get macro is something I have not tried but I do have a Sigma 50mm F2.8 macro. A pretty good budget macro lens that can look in terrible condition wise because the lettering does rub off but it does have the "A" aperture option. I also have a Tamron 90mm F2,5 (Model 52BB) that produces 1:1 with a teleconverter or extension tube and an "A" adaptall mount.
Having the "A" aperture option is a boon to me when trying to take macro images.
My inclination would be to consider a macro lens rather than tubes for ease of use and ease of focussing.
09-22-2017, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
While reversing/stacking lenses has some useful applications for extreme macro, IMO in practice it is so fiddly that it adds up to an absolutely abysmal shooting experience for general macro work compared to a dedicated lens or even a standard lens plus tubes or closeup lens.

Yes, the cheapness is attractive, but I'd never recommend it as a starting point for a beginner level macro shooter, since it's apt to lead to extreme frustration and a perception that macro shooting is much more difficult than it really has to be.
Good points. I can certainly say from experience that auto aperture control and automatic diaphragm make shooting macro a lot easier and enjoyable.
09-22-2017, 06:06 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
That sounds like a good option and a lot easier to use. I will have look and see if I can find one.

---------- Post added 09-22-17 at 06:11 PM ----------

Thank you every one for the very good suggestions. Based on the discussion here, I decided I will look for a second hand dedicated macro lens. Sounds like that might be the easiest solution. Based on my previous use I have found that I use all my lenses regularly but hardly ever use any accessories I have bought over the years!
09-25-2017, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To add confusion I would like to suggest a macro bellows if you are into small bugs macro stuff.
I have 3 macro lenses: 70mm, 100mm and a 180mm but they are not magnifying enough for bugs. But excellent for flowers etc.

Seb
09-25-2017, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
To add confusion I would like to suggest a macro bellows if you are into small bugs macro stuff.
I have 3 macro lenses: 70mm, 100mm and a 180mm but they are not magnifying enough for bugs. But excellent for flowers etc.

Seb

I have had some luck with photographing insects with only the D FA 100 mm macro
hand held

here is a bee crawling around inside of the blossom, no crop

as you can see no problem with magnification

depth of field is another issue however, I am still trying to learn how to shoot macro
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo