Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2017, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You were quite close to the bee then, Aslyfox. Hand held macro shooting is rather tricky for moving creatures.
With bellows or extension tubes the DOF is even smaller.

Seb

09-25-2017, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
You were quite close to the bee then, Aslyfox. Hand held macro shooting is rather tricky for moving creatures.
With bellows or extension tubes the DOF is even smaller.

Seb
yes I was trying to get 1:1 representation and it is very hard to do, I basically " bob " in and out with the lens locked at the minimum focusing distance and use burst shutter. The results are dependent on how steady I can hold the camera, the movement of the insect, the wind etc.

I am very thankful for the SR

now the EXIF will also read " macro " even when I am not at the minimum focusing distance, it just isn't a 1:1 ratio and I don't have to be as close

here is a painted lady butterfly from today's walk around the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center

again, the EXIF reads " Macro "

no " bobbing " in this one, just a regular shot hand held
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-26-2017, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
. . . Thank you every one for the very good suggestions. Based on the discussion here, I decided I will look for a second hand dedicated macro lens. Sounds like that might be the easiest solution. Based on my previous use I have found that I use all my lenses regularly but hardly ever use any accessories I have bought over the years!
FYI

if you are looking for a Pentax macro lens, this is from the review of the D FA 100 mm F2.8 macro WR

" The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. "

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

in other words, although "the latest and brightest " 100 mm macro WR is different from its predecessors in some ways, optically it is not

so unless you want or need W R or the other features, you might find what you need cheaper by looking for an " experienced " and/or older model
09-26-2017, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
so unless you want or need W R or the other features, you might find what you need cheaper by looking for an " experienced " and/or older model

Going with Aslyfox's suggestion a bit further: You might also consider the A 50/2.8 Macro (or, if you can work without the A functionality, the K or M 50/4 Macros).

My personal favorite 50mm macro for many years has been the A 50/2.8. I have also owned both the F and the FA 50/2.8 Macros, each for a short time (while still having the A version), and I will admit that they are a wee bit sharper than the A (and the A does have a different optical formula), but their manual focusing is very unsatisfying to work with (IMHO), while the A 50/2.8's MF is a joy to use in comparison.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-50mm-F2.8-Macro-Lens.html

09-26-2017, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if the OP ( or any other interested party ) has seen this

Macro for beginners ( A guide to help people not give up ) Part 1 - PentaxForums.com

the OP in that thread started several threads attempting to assist those interested in macro photography
09-26-2017, 10:01 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I wonder if the OP ( or any other interested party ) has seen this

Macro for beginners ( A guide to help people not give up ) Part 1 - PentaxForums.com

the OP in that thread started several threads attempting to assist those interested in macro photography
Thank you for the lens suggestion and also that link which I had not seen. Very useful! My original question was prompted by seeing a second A50 1.7 and some manual extension rings in a second hand shop but it looks like there might be some more versatile options out there.

---------- Post added 09-26-17 at 10:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Going with Aslyfox's suggestion a bit further: You might also consider the A 50/2.8 Macro (or, if you can work without the A functionality, the K or M 50/4 Macros).

My personal favorite 50mm macro for many years has been the A 50/2.8. I have also owned both the F and the FA 50/2.8 Macros, each for a short time (while still having the A version), and I will admit that they are a wee bit sharper than the A (and the A does have a different optical formula), but their manual focusing is very unsatisfying to work with (IMHO), while the A 50/2.8's MF is a joy to use in comparison.

SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Great suggestion. I had not considered this lens as I thought the faster speed of the other 50mm lenses would be better but in fact in macro that may not be needed anyway.

Unfortunately the range of older Pentax lenses in Australia is not so great as in the US but they do come up now and then.
09-27-2017, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #37
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Rather than buying an older manual lens to save a little money, I'd look for a copy of the FA 50 2.8 Macro. It can be found for between $100 and $200, is extremely sharp, and doubles as a pretty nice wider landscape lens.
This is exactly what I was going to say.

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I had not considered this lens as I thought the faster speed of the other 50mm lenses would be better but in fact in macro that may not be needed anyway. Unfortunately the range of older Pentax lenses in Australia is not so great as in the US but they do come up now and then.
I got an FA 50 f2.8 macro shipped from the US for about $A125. Look around.

I used to have the A-50 f1.7 and the DA 50 f1.8. Each is a very nice lens, with its own character. But for landscapes and general shooting I like the FA 50 best (even though it's god-awful ugly and doesn't come with a hood). It's about as sharp as the DFA 100, and that's saying something. It's macro function is great too.

Of course it's missing a stop of aperture, so you can justify keeping the DA 50 as well. And that's probably a better lens for portraits.