Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
But yes, using the crop mode on your K-1 will give you the field of view of a 450mm lens. Give it a try and see what you think of the results.
The wider point underlying Peter's comment is that when you have lots of megapixels to play with (as you do on the K-1 or the K-3ii), there is plenty of scope for cropping (including using the K-1 in crop mode), so there isn't the same imperative to fill as much of the frame with the subject as there was with a body like the K20D. Using the 55-300 on the K-1 in crop mode is roughly like putting it on a 16 megapixel body (e.g. K-5), except with the benefit of the advances made in the K-1 such as high-ISO performance. That combination may well meet your needs. As Peter says, try it and see first.

Of course if you are trying to photograph a sparrow-size bird with a 300mm lens from 30 metres (say 90 feet) away, the area of the subject's impression on the sensor (so to speak) might be too small to get a high-quality image when cropped hard, even for a shot taken in perfect conditions. There comes a point when there is no real substitute for reach (ie greater magnification), whether using a long lens or a lens with a teleconverter. Where that point is depends on the sensor, the size and distance of the subject, the light, and the quality and reach of the lens.

@WildMark did an interesting comparison to try to answer that question for the K-3 using high-quality lenses and teleconverters in good Australian sunlight: Teleconverter challenge Sigma vs Kenko vs Tamron X1.4 - PentaxForums.com Of course, change any variable and the result will be different, but it's an interesting general indicator.

Last edited by Des; 09-24-2017 at 02:34 PM.
09-24-2017, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
HI Lee, no apologies needed as most of us are " hobbyists." But yes, using the crop mode on your K-1 will give you the field of view of a 450mm lens. Give it a try and see what you think of the results.
thanks
09-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
i am sorry but not a professional, just a hobbyist, are you saying that if i use my crop sensor lenses on the k1 i will still get the crop factor, my 55-300 on the k20d is equal to a 450mm, so if i put on the k1 i will get the same 450 equivalent? i would like to get a long lens but cant swing right now.
Just remember that when you go into crop mode on the K1, you are just letting the camera automatically crop the full frame image area. If you shoot in full frame mode, and cropped to that part of the picture when editing, you'd achieve the same thing. So when in crop mode you'll get basically a 16MP section framed for you out of the full 36MP image. As soon as you play with it and switch between full frame and crop modes and look through the viewfinder, it will be clear, as the area captured is indicated by a black rectangle. There is also a square 1:1 mode you'll see as you go through the options. When you go into live view, you will see hat is being captured, so in crop mode, only the crop area is shown unlike the viewfinder where you see it framed with the in the full frame view.
09-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #19
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use the HD DA 1.4x with the DA*200 on K-1 and the vignetting is very decent. Most time no problem.