Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Helios Cyclop-M1 KMZ f/1.2 85 - does anyone know about this lens?

Haven't found anything on this unique lens. Does anyone know? - stock Helios Cyclop-M1 KMZ f/1.2 85

09-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Haven't found anything on this unique lens. Does anyone know? - stock Helios Cyclop-M1 KMZ f/1.2 85
I have never seen one, but Google is my friend (helios cyclop). This is what I came up with:
  • Actual name is Cyclop (no Helios anywhere)
  • Reputed to be similar to Helios 40-2
  • Made by ROMZ, not KMZ (per logo on lens face)
  • Was sold as part of a nightvision apparatus
  • Exists in both f/1.2 and f/1.5 variants
  • Several variants in build
  • No adjustable aperture
  • Swirly bokeh
If you are looking at one of the eBay listings with the same title as in your post, I would pass. The example photos are not inspiring. OTOH, there are some other example photos floating around the Web that are not too bad. If one must have the swirly bokeh and no option to stop down...

There is an old thread here on Pentax Forums:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/81189-heli...-10-price.html

WARNING: It appears there may be a variant that has a protruding rear element/attachment that disallows mounting on SLR cameras. Listings may hide this by showing the rear of the lens with an M43 or Sony-E adapter attached.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-24-2017 at 03:16 PM.
09-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Also old thread on MF lens forum...

Cyclop - The One-Eyed Monster

Steve
09-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have never seen one, but Google is my friend (helios cyclop). This is what I came up with:
  • Actual name is Cyclop (no Helios anywhere)
  • Reputed to be similar to Helios 40-2
  • Made by ROMZ, not KMZ (per logo on lens face)
  • Was sold as part of a nightvision apparatus
  • Exists in both f/1.2 and f/1.5 variants
  • Several variants in build
  • No adjustable aperture
  • Swirly bokeh
If you are looking at one of the eBay listings with the same title as in your post, I would pass. The example photos are not inspiring. OTOH, there are some other example photos floating around the Web that are not too bad. If one must have the swirly bokeh and no option to stop down...

A Helios-40 85/1.5 for 10% of the price? - PentaxForums.com

WARNING: It appears there may be a variant that has a protruding rear element/attachment that disallows mounting on SLR cameras. Listings may hide this by showing the rear of the lens with an M43 or Sony-E adapter attached.

Steve
That is amazing! A lot of info! I didn't know about the protrusion on the back! Well means it's completely unusable! Other than mirrorless!

09-25-2017, 02:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

here you can find pictures of photographer, that uses Cyclop 85 f1,5
07_2014-10-18-16-52-07-copy | Zenit Cyclop 85mm ?/1.5 H3T-1 ? | Flickr
09-25-2017, 03:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
IR Lens. No aperture Iris. Crap for sharpness, but interesting bokeh. Unusable on any Pentax except perhaps the K-01 and the Q due to hugely protruding rear element.
Hopefully Pentax releases a mirrorless. Btw I have found an alternative to this lens. Another 85mm f1.2

---------- Post added 09-25-17 at 03:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
here you can find pictures of photographer, that uses Cyclop 85 f1,5
07_2014-10-18-16-52-07-copy | Zenit Cyclop 85mm ?/1.5 H3T-1 ? | Flickr
That's a different beast!
09-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I own a Cyclop 85mm/1.5 and I love it. Not all of these lenses have a protruding rear element. Mine is a normal M42 one. The bokeh is very very swirly, but it is hard to get a sharp picture. Also in the middle of the lens
it is a bit soft, even more towards the edges. The color rendering is also different from other lenses. This are examples of BW pictures: