Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

Pentax FA* 80-200 f/2.8 Disassembly Guide

Noting this might be a really long shot given no entry of this on the disassembly database but could really use some guidance to help in my situation.

Some background first - My copy of the lens got really soft wide open at infinity at the tele end (135mm-200mm), even at the centre of the frame. Close-up shots no good either - astigmatism is apparent even at the centre again. Peripheral resolution also abysmal at left side of the frame - together with non-circular de-focus blur, they all indicate de-centering of the lens. This is not a problem with the AF as I've also tested using liveview. And the problem persists until f/8 - f/11 before I could really get a repsectably sharp picture.

Have tried sending this to Ricoh Pentax repair centre in Japan and got told there's nothing they can do given discontinuation of the parts available for replacement. Reading some previous threads over a possible fix by tightening loosened lens elements inside, it dawns on me that disassembling the lens may ben the unenviable last resort available in the hope of any possible fix.

So may I ask if anybody has previous experience about / have seen / have some resources on how to attempt to disassemble the FA* 80-200 f/2.8? Any input would be highly appreciated!

Oscar

09-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are in Germany try to get in contact with: HOST-Photoservice | Startseite I am sure they can help you.
09-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
If you are in Germany try to get in contact with: HOST-Photoservice | Startseite I am sure they can help you.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will make enquiries.
09-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I've fixed one before. Not sure if I have pics, but I can dig through my collection. Unless you have lots of experience working on zooms, I highly advise against attempting to work on it, or you will be very very unhappy.
Yes I half suspect I won't be making good anything save for further causing problem...but I'm at my wit's end when the official repair centre refused to take it on, and local Pentax repair technicians are next to non-existent. Please did you mean you've fixed this particular lens before? How difficult was it to get every parts out? I've worked on some fixed focal lenses before and adjusted infinity focus, but not a zoom lens.