Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #31
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
pepperberry, is it maybe due to better correction and across frame sharpness/IQ? Shots you've shared from your 28 makes me think the 30 isn't nearly as versatile although I'd still like to try one out some day.
no idea on that score, but I also know that the 28 is tough - I dropped it (attached to my K-3) awhile back and it didn't affect the lens at all...

09-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to have a FA35 which I really like it, but I often feel, I want a bit more room. So I got a F28, and it was fantastic. It sharps wide open too. However, After own both at the same time I feel their field of view are not that difference to me. What about get a 21 ltd?
09-29-2017, 02:24 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The DA 21 should be noticeably wider without it feeling like an ultra-wide.

I didn't really "understand" the DA 21's purpose. Seemed like a weirdo focal length to try and implement. I've started thinking about it again, for street or general carry, and how the crop factor makes is just wider than the 35mm that so many famous photogs carried for decades. In that context it starts to interest me more.
09-29-2017, 06:29 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The f or fa 28mm are tempting, but they are rarer than hens teeth. I've just spent an hour or so looking! As has been pointed out there is not much difference between 28 and 35mm on a crop sensor, but for some reason, I find it easier to compose with the 28mm. Strange as it may seem on full frame I find much easier to compose with a 55 or 58mm lens than with a 50mm. On film I use either a 40mm or 45mm, coupled with a 55 or 58mm depending on what system I am using.

09-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
The f or fa 28mm are tempting, but they are rarer than hens teeth. I've just spent an hour or so looking! As has been pointed out there is not much difference between 28 and 35mm on a crop sensor, but for some reason, I find it easier to compose with the 28mm. Strange as it may seem on full frame I find much easier to compose with a 55 or 58mm lens than with a 50mm. On film I use either a 40mm or 45mm, coupled with a 55 or 58mm depending on what system I am using.
It's pointless recommending a lens without a source where one can buy it. I've been watching for a Sigma 12-24 for over a year now. I have an FAJ 18-35 so it's not life or death, but, the fact that someone recommends someone buy a legacy lens, is almost a guarantee of a lot of time wasted, especially since the K-1 came out. Lenses are scarce, and prices tend to be high.
09-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #36
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's pointless recommending a lens without a source where one can buy it. I've been watching for a Sigma 12-24 for over a year now. I have an FAJ 18-35 so it's not life or death, but, the fact that someone recommends someone buy a legacy lens, is almost a guarantee of a lot of time wasted, especially since the K-1 came out. Lenses are scarce, and prices tend to be high.

I bought my refurbed Sigma 28mm from Adorama (they still have them, but not at the same price I paid)....
09-29-2017, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I bought my refurbed Sigma 28mm from Adorama (they still have them, but not at the same price I paid)....
Excellent.... onward until morning then.

09-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 21 should be noticeably wider without it feeling like an ultra-wide.

I didn't really "understand" the DA 21's purpose. Seemed like a weirdo focal length to try and implement. I've started thinking about it again, for street or general carry, and how the crop factor makes is just wider than the 35mm that so many famous photogs carried for decades. In that context it starts to interest me more.
It really has a great focal length for casual use indoors or out. Pair it with the DA40 and you've got a nice combination.
The 21 renders better than any lens I have for casual close portraits etc, and it captures the eye-view better than the 28, which is closer to "normal."
09-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Honestly from looking at the original post, I would recommend looking at the DA 21mm Limited.
I second this choice. The DA 21mm is my favorite lens to use on my K-3 when i just want a light weight walk around lens. Wide enough to be useful in most situations.
09-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #40

Photos: Albums
My order of priorities is 31, 43, 21.
FA 31 is more universal lens to me.
FA 43, is pretty narrow on APC-S to me. I really liked using it with film camera. I hope it will returned as main prime to K-1,
DA-21 quite wide for everyday using. I agree this lens is good for making some kind street photos. But is pretty narrow lens if you plan using it in old European towns. I prefer using this lens for landscape photos.
09-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #41
Pentaxian

The 21 is amazing. I really, really wish Pentax made an exact copy compatible with FF.

It's a natural focal length on APS-C, perfect for cityscapes, landscapes, candids, etc. In fact it's the exact equivalent of the FA 31 on APS-C.

Since I've switched to FF, I have been looking for a FF replacement and have not found it. In particular its ability to generate starbursts is rivaled only by the DA15.
09-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #42
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
During the first year of my photography training we were required to use 35mm only (in my case the FA35/2). And I agree with you: 35mm always felt too strict to me as a standard field-of-view on APS-C. Once the ban was lifted for the next three years of the course, I replaced it with the FA31/1.8, which made a world of difference. I used mostly that lens and a 24mm for my standard FoV photography.

However, more recently, the DA20-40 has taken the place as a preferred walk around standard lens. Obviously this is not a fixed focal length lens, but somehow, to me, it feels like one. Probably due to its limited zoom range, and its short and long ends not really being short or long. It feels like a 30mm lens with some framing flexibility. I've since become a huge fan of this lens!

hth, Wim
by the way, did you find your 20-40 lens soft at 20 wide open? as some reviewers are indicating?
09-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #43

20-40 especially if you want weather sealing. The 21mm is second choice. I already owned DA 35, DA 35 macro and 21. 20-40 is almost equal to 35 macro and better than the others plus weather sealing and light.
09-29-2017, 02:08 PM   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

ok I'm sorry to hijack this thread but I have questions

I know that at one time, zoom lenses were regarded as not have the quality of a good prime lens

1 is that still true?

2 how would my HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR stack up against the prime lens being discussed in this thread?

Should I be trying to convince the spouse that one of these nice prime lenses being discussed is necessary for a Xmas or Birthday present?

the 16 - 85 is my widest lens

my current primes are the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS, the SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 and smc Pentax-D FA 2.8 100 mm macro

so I would be looking at primes shorter than the 40 mm

I use a K 3 and have a K 5 II as a back up

so does anyone have any opinion on whether the 16 - 85 will handle the job or should I look at the primes
09-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I find that primes are better, at least at the wide and standard focal lengths, not because of the IQ any more, but because they force you to get the best composition. Zooms make one lazy in this respect. Primes also give you a speed advantage, not that I usually need it but its still there.