Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
ok I'm sorry to hijack this thread but I have questions

I know that at one time, zoom lenses were regarded as not have the quality of a good prime lens

1 is that still true?

2 how would my HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR stack up against the prime lens being discussed in this thread?

Should I be trying to convince the spouse that one of these nice prime lenses being discussed is necessary for a Xmas or Birthday present?

the 16 - 85 is my widest lens

my current primes are the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS, the SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 and smc Pentax-D FA 2.8 100 mm macro

so I would be looking at primes shorter than the 40 mm

I use a K 3 and have a K 5 II as a back up

so does anyone have any opinion on whether the 16 - 85 will handle the job or should I look at the primes
A birthday present's a birthday present, Aslyfox ... I think you would be floored by the FA31.

09-29-2017, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The 21 is amazing. I really, really wish Pentax made an exact copy compatible with FF.

It's a natural focal length on APS-C, perfect for cityscapes, landscapes, candids, etc. In fact it's the exact equivalent of the FA 31 on APS-C.

Since I've switched to FF, I have been looking for a FF replacement and have not found it. In particular its ability to generate starbursts is rivaled only by the DA15.
On full frame, what about a 35mm prime, or a 28mm prime? The DA21 on crop is something like 31mm on full, so, either 28 or 35 should fit the bill from a width of field point of view.
10-02-2017, 12:30 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
by the way, did you find your 20-40 lens soft at 20 wide open? as some reviewers are indicating?
I didn't notice this in mine, no. I didn't do any scientific testing, but I would say that the DA20-40 outperforms the DA21/3.2 (first generation non-HD) wide open.

Wim
10-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
On full frame, what about a 35mm prime, or a 28mm prime? The DA21 on crop is something like 31mm on full, so, either 28 or 35 should fit the bill from a width of field point of view.
The FA31 is officially the FF equivalent. It has the same FOC and is a limited.

Four things make it different : it's bigger, faster and more expensive, but the "worst" difference is that it's not as good to create starbursts. The 21 (and 15) are unique for this. The FA28 doesn't come close. The F28 might, I've never tested it but from what I've seen it's not as good either, although it's decent.

A moderately fast (F3.2 is fine), 21mm to 28mm lens with the same aperture blades as the DA21 would be a godsent.

10-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA21 and the FA31 seem so different in intent that I find the crop/full frame equivalency aspect to be a coincidence. Maybe I'm wrong but they seem entirely different in purpose.

If you're willing to dip into old glass, I bet there's a 24 or 28mm prime that will starburst pretty well. My Kiron 28 f2.0 is okay in this area but my DA15 SMC makes it looks pretty weak in comparison.
10-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
If you're willing to dip into old glass, I bet there's a 24 or 28mm prime that will starburst pretty well. My Kiron 28 f2.0 is okay in this area but my DA15 SMC makes it looks pretty weak in comparison.
I have tested a LOT of glass regarding this. Nothing I've seen comes close to the 15 and 21.
10-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FA 35/2 was fairly glued to my K10D and K-3 for many years. Its place has been taken by my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C), but that is not a reflection on the FA 35. I have done a lot of good work with that lens.

Steve

10-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #53
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

my DA21 does amazing starbursts - but everybody knows that; the Sigma 28 I just finished using for the SIC for September does a pretty nice job, too:

10-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Another vote for the 20-40 Limited, like two primes in one. Make no mistake this thing is as sharp as a prime plus it is a F 2.8 at 20mm. I took a quick long weekend to Colorado and only had this lens. I never wanted for any other lens on the trip except when I wished I drug my D FA * 70-200 or DA * 300 when I saw a few big horn sheep. It wasn’t a photo taking trip so I was glad to just have the KP small grip w/o battery grip and the 20-40. Small/light and high quality walk around for this trip.
10-25-2017, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I've finally decided to take the plunge and gone for the Sigma 28mm F1.8 Macro. Dithered over the decision between this and the 30mm Art. Pro for the Art smaller size. Negative questionable AF. Pros for the 28mm - more reliable AF, macro capability, aperture ring and FF if ever needed. Negative for the 28mm size, but that shouldn't matter on the K3 with battery grip attached, and massive filter thread which will mean expensive UV filter to protect front element. Will do a review of the lens in due course
10-25-2017, 04:30 AM   #56
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A birthday present's a birthday present, Aslyfox ... I think you would be floored by the FA31.
for what it is worth, in case any one cares,

I found a Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm f/2 MC [ p/ka ] in the market place at a price I couldn't resist. ( thanks a5m )

just got it and am starting to see what it can do

it has a great reputation from what I can find
10-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
So I've finally decided to take the plunge and gone for the Sigma 28mm F1.8 Macro. Dithered over the decision between this and the 30mm Art. Pro for the Art smaller size. Negative questionable AF. Pros for the 28mm - more reliable AF, macro capability, aperture ring and FF if ever needed. Negative for the 28mm size, but that shouldn't matter on the K3 with battery grip attached, and massive filter thread which will mean expensive UV filter to protect front element. Will do a review of the lens in due course
I am sure you will be happy with it. Between the 30 1.4 Art and the 28 1.8, Sigma has a couple of very good lenses. Either one would have been a good lens, I think. Please share some shots once you get it
10-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
for what it is worth, in case any one cares,

I found a Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm f/2 MC [ p/ka ] in the market place at a price I couldn't resist. ( thanks a5m )

just got it and am starting to see what it can do

it has a great reputation from what I can find
You went all manual? There was no hint of that, Aslyfox, or I would have put in a suggestion for the K28mm f3.5 that was going in the marketplace!

In any event, seems a nice lens ...

10-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #59
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You went all manual? There was no hint of that, Aslyfox, or I would have put in a suggestion for the K28mm f3.5 that was going in the marketplace!

In any event, seems a nice lens ...

Kiron Precision 28mm f2 - YouTube
thanks

I was looking for a quick lens, wider than the 40 mm, not looking for manual in particular but then

I saw the Kiron 28mm f/2 PKA in the market place

the price was very nice

did some quick research and send a PM or two

and the seller had a sense of humor - very important for my " negotiation " techniques

so now I'm trying to figure out how to use a P/KA lens.

it fits in quite well with my other equipment and would work if I ever went FF

all problems directly traceable to " operator error " as per usual

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-25-2017 at 04:54 PM.
10-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #60
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
enjoy it - I love my copy of that 28mm...