Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2008, 01:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I have never heard of a bad copy until this thread. I guess I got lucky.
Me too ............

08-27-2008, 03:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Simon, Yes I did. In fact, I now have a B+W polarizer on it most of the time.
In double fact, I use a Polarizer on most of me lenses.

I too pretty much always have one attached to my Sigma 17-70 but initially wasn't quite sure about using one with the wider 10-20, couldn't resist though & ordered one yesterday !!

simon
08-27-2008, 06:57 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A note on Polarizers and a Question

One gripe I have with Sigma on two of their Lenses is this....
Both the Sigma 10-20mm and the 24-70 F/2.8 both have extremely short hoods. Both those Lenses as a result are prone to lens flare...The way I fixed my problem is with the use of Polarizers. In doors the polarizers come off...Anyone else notice this?
08-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I decided to take out this gem today and headed to the beach...
Here is Malibu beach. It was a cloudy, humid ugly day.

But there was a Taco truck there with real Mexican's in it cooking and what great Tacos....Some of the best I have had...

Yummy,

08-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If the hood was any longer, you'd see it in the shot since the FOV is so wide on the 10-20.
08-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mmayer Quote
So how did you get the images embedded in the thread? I thought I tried everything but it seems to always want to limit the URL length to 20 characters......

Try TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a Tiny URL
08-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Here are a couple more from today...I love this lens.

09-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #23

Original Poster
Well, I tried the "TinyURL" thing, and it only works randomly for me. Also, they don't seem to stick. I managed to get 2 of them in my original post at the top, and one of them disappeared about 10 minutes later.

09-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #24

Original Poster
Ok, I figured out what I was doing wrong originally. Seems to be ok now.

Last edited by mmayer; 09-03-2008 at 06:11 PM.
09-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Very nice pics in this post... looks like i may be getting a polarizer soon as i have had the lens flare problem also. I've been using this lens for about a year and really enjoy it. Recently went cycling along the I&M canal in Illinois and shot these just before the thunderstorm arrived. The rumor is there is no more state money to fund the trail and parks along it and they may be closed as early as Nov 2008. Thought i'd better get some pics just in case.

Last edited by ivoire; 04-18-2009 at 09:23 AM.
09-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Very nice pics in this post... looks like i may be getting a polarizer soon as i have had the lens flare problem also.
As egordon99 noted a longer hood will create problems, but a Polarizer is a must. I use the B&W one and it has eliminated all my lens flare problem and has added a richness to the images...Yes you loose a stop, but when it gets to the point where that stop matters, take it off because there will be no sun to create lens flare...

Ivoire, Nice images!!!
09-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #27
Pentaxian

As egordon99 noted a longer hood will create problems, but a Polarizer is a must. I use the B&W one and it has eliminated all my lens flare problem and has added a richness to the images...Yes you loose a stop, but when it gets to the point where that stop matters, take it off because there will be no sun to create lens flare...

Ivoire, Nice images!!!
Thanks for the comments and polarizer info. i like the saturation and tone of you images. i'm guessing that the sky in several of the beach pics was very bright/washed out and the polarizer brought back the blues. was wondering if this is the polarizer you are using?

B+W Schneider Optics 65-062162 77mm Circular Polarizer in Camera Lens Filters at JR.com

Last edited by ivoire; 09-03-2008 at 08:44 PM.
09-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Thanks for the comments and polarizer info. i like the saturation and tone of you images. i'm guessing that the sky in several of the beach pics was very bright/washed out and the polarizer brought back the blues. was wondering if this is the polarizer you are using?

B+W Schneider Optics 65-062162 77mm Circular Polarizer in Camera Lens Filters at JR.com
My Bad. I just looked to be sure because I have so many.
This is the Polarizer I have. Hoya | 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter | 012142 | B&H Photo
The B&W is on all my other lenses....This is the only Hoya I have and it is pretty darn good and cost allot less. The reason I did not buy the B&W at the time was because it was out of stock...

To answer your question, there is no way I would have got those blue skys with out the polarizer. I also tend to shoot in the worse part of the day so a Polarizer is a must for me.
09-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #29
Pentaxian

My Bad. I just looked to be sure because I have so many.
This is the Polarizer I have. Hoya | 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter | 012142 | B&H Photo
The B&W is on all my other lenses....This is the only Hoya I have and it is pretty darn good and cost allot less. The reason I did not buy the B&W at the time was because it was out of stock...

To answer your question, there is no way I would have got those blue skys with out the polarizer. I also tend to shoot in the worse part of the day so a Polarizer is a must for me.
Thanks for the link. Do you find much difference in the hoya vs b&h? ie is the b&h worth the xtra $s?
09-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Thanks for the link. Do you find much difference in the hoya vs b&h? ie is the b&h worth the xtra $s?
Well, the B&W is built better and the glass they come with seems better as well. They are heavier as well. Aside from build, I am not sure the performance would be better.