Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2008, 01:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member
gkopeliadis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ATHENS, GREECE
Posts: 311
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I have never heard of a bad copy until this thread. I guess I got lucky.
Me too ............

08-27-2008, 03:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Wales, UK
Posts: 645
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Simon, Yes I did. In fact, I now have a B+W polarizer on it most of the time.
In double fact, I use a Polarizer on most of me lenses.

I too pretty much always have one attached to my Sigma 17-70 but initially wasn't quite sure about using one with the wider 10-20, couldn't resist though & ordered one yesterday !!

simon
08-27-2008, 06:57 AM   #18
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
A note on Polarizers and a Question

One gripe I have with Sigma on two of their Lenses is this....
Both the Sigma 10-20mm and the 24-70 F/2.8 both have extremely short hoods. Both those Lenses as a result are prone to lens flare...The way I fixed my problem is with the use of Polarizers. In doors the polarizers come off...Anyone else notice this?
08-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #19
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
I decided to take out this gem today and headed to the beach...
Here is Malibu beach. It was a cloudy, humid ugly day.






But there was a Taco truck there with real Mexican's in it cooking and what great Tacos....Some of the best I have had...


Yummy,


08-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Outside of Philly
Posts: 1,564
If the hood was any longer, you'd see it in the shot since the FOV is so wide on the 10-20.
08-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #21
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 248
QuoteOriginally posted by mmayer Quote
So how did you get the images embedded in the thread? I thought I tried everything but it seems to always want to limit the URL length to 20 characters......

Try TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a Tiny URL
08-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #22
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
Here are a couple more from today...I love this lens.


09-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #23
Junior Member
mmayer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cleveland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 35
Original Poster
Well, I tried the "TinyURL" thing, and it only works randomly for me. Also, they don't seem to stick. I managed to get 2 of them in my original post at the top, and one of them disappeared about 10 minutes later.

09-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #24
Junior Member
mmayer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cleveland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 35
Original Poster
Ok, I figured out what I was doing wrong originally. Seems to be ok now.

Last edited by mmayer; 09-03-2008 at 06:11 PM.
09-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #25
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
Very nice pics in this post... looks like i may be getting a polarizer soon as i have had the lens flare problem also. I've been using this lens for about a year and really enjoy it. Recently went cycling along the I&M canal in Illinois and shot these just before the thunderstorm arrived. The rumor is there is no more state money to fund the trail and parks along it and they may be closed as early as Nov 2008. Thought i'd better get some pics just in case.

Last edited by ivoire; 04-18-2009 at 09:23 AM.
09-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #26
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Very nice pics in this post... looks like i may be getting a polarizer soon as i have had the lens flare problem also.
As egordon99 noted a longer hood will create problems, but a Polarizer is a must. I use the B&W one and it has eliminated all my lens flare problem and has added a richness to the images...Yes you loose a stop, but when it gets to the point where that stop matters, take it off because there will be no sun to create lens flare...

Ivoire, Nice images!!!
09-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #27
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
As egordon99 noted a longer hood will create problems, but a Polarizer is a must. I use the B&W one and it has eliminated all my lens flare problem and has added a richness to the images...Yes you loose a stop, but when it gets to the point where that stop matters, take it off because there will be no sun to create lens flare...

Ivoire, Nice images!!!
Thanks for the comments and polarizer info. i like the saturation and tone of you images. i'm guessing that the sky in several of the beach pics was very bright/washed out and the polarizer brought back the blues. was wondering if this is the polarizer you are using?

B+W Schneider Optics 65-062162 77mm Circular Polarizer in Camera Lens Filters at JR.com

Last edited by ivoire; 09-03-2008 at 08:44 PM.
09-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #28
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Thanks for the comments and polarizer info. i like the saturation and tone of you images. i'm guessing that the sky in several of the beach pics was very bright/washed out and the polarizer brought back the blues. was wondering if this is the polarizer you are using?

B+W Schneider Optics 65-062162 77mm Circular Polarizer in Camera Lens Filters at JR.com
My Bad. I just looked to be sure because I have so many.
This is the Polarizer I have. Hoya | 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter | 012142 | B&H Photo
The B&W is on all my other lenses....This is the only Hoya I have and it is pretty darn good and cost allot less. The reason I did not buy the B&W at the time was because it was out of stock...

To answer your question, there is no way I would have got those blue skys with out the polarizer. I also tend to shoot in the worse part of the day so a Polarizer is a must for me.
09-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #29
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
My Bad. I just looked to be sure because I have so many.
This is the Polarizer I have. Hoya | 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter | 012142 | B&H Photo
The B&W is on all my other lenses....This is the only Hoya I have and it is pretty darn good and cost allot less. The reason I did not buy the B&W at the time was because it was out of stock...

To answer your question, there is no way I would have got those blue skys with out the polarizer. I also tend to shoot in the worse part of the day so a Polarizer is a must for me.
Thanks for the link. Do you find much difference in the hoya vs b&h? ie is the b&h worth the xtra $s?
09-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #30
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Thanks for the link. Do you find much difference in the hoya vs b&h? ie is the b&h worth the xtra $s?
Well, the B&W is built better and the glass they come with seems better as well. They are heavier as well. Aside from build, I am not sure the performance would be better.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lake, pentax lens, sigma 10-20mm, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma 50-150 2.8 HSM II first impressions jsherman999 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 03-28-2009 05:03 AM
Sigma EM140-DGP first impressions dbh Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 8 11-09-2008 09:53 AM
Sigma vs Tamron 70-300 - First impressions simonkit Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 04-07-2008 10:33 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top