Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

F 135 f2.8 vs FA 135 f2.8

Was reading reviews of these lenses and the F is rated significantly higher. Is there a significant difference between the two?

09-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In reality probably not (optically). But, the coatings are likely to be a little different (lead versus no lead), but this is entirely speculation and has been a topic of much debate.

Some say the lead coatings give better colours, others say there is no difference. If the F had these coatings and the FA did not then there might be a difference - who really knows.

I have the F and can say it is simply divine. Colours are out of this world. I can only imagine the FA is similar if not the same.

Perhaps the F gets better reviews because it is rarer and those who manage to get one are already pepped up on a 'I finally got one' high - translating into an imagined better score??
09-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Was reading reviews of these lenses and the F is rated significantly higher. Is there a significant difference between the two?
I don't know the technical answers but in my experience if you have more than 10 people in the user reviews and it's still over a 9... you can't go wrong. Trust the reviewers! One or two might be crazy or weird, but if as a collective they endorse something then stop doubting the collective wisdom.

That is usually a giant test of how and why I personally buy lenses myself.

The F version in the user reviews has 13 reviews and it's got a 9.54 rating.

The FA version has 28 reviews and it's got a 8.96 rating.

Based on that alone I would be all over the F version.
09-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Maybe because the F version is cheaper just because it's older.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-28-2017, 06:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Usually, the numbers can be a guide but not the absolute answer.
It can be pulled up or down by just one person who got a lemon or a newbie who got pretty excited and gave 10.

What I used to do after looking at the numbers will be to read the comments in the review, esp the ones with the best and worst scores.
I'd also try to pick out if the reviewer is someone who knows what he's saying/seeing and give weight-age on that.

I doubt the F and FA are any different optically.
I have the FA and its a wonderfully fast focus lens with rich colors and contrasts.
Smallish too for a 135mm and convenient built in hood.
The only weakness is the CA.
09-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote

I have the F and can say it is simply divine. Colours are out of this world. I can only imagine the FA is similar if not the same.

Perhaps the F gets better reviews because it is rarer and those who manage to get one are already pepped up on a 'I finally got one' high - translating into an imagined better score??
That's good to know. I was wondering if that was the case. Not that I am on a lookout, but it seems that the F lenses don't come up on the market place as much, and I there isn't a F 135 on ebay either...

---------- Post added 09-28-17 at 09:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I don't know the technical answers but in my experience if you have more than 10 people in the user reviews and it's still over a 9... you can't go wrong. Trust the reviewers! One or two might be crazy or weird, but if as a collective they endorse something then stop doubting the collective wisdom.

Based on that alone I would be all over the F version.
I do trust the reviewers, that's why I want to figure out what makes them rate the F higher... Some people don't like the look of FA lenses (me included), so if that's why they are rating them lower, I'd like to know. Looks don't matter to me...

---------- Post added 09-28-17 at 09:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe because the F version is cheaper just because it's older.
Could be, but they also seem to be hard to find...
09-29-2017, 01:40 AM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the FA. I like it. Is it is good as the F? The F and FA have the same optical formula so there is no objective reason why one should be better than the other unless Pentax lowered their quality control standards. I think that is unlikely. I also doubt that there is any difference in the coatings that could explain it (if there is any difference). The FA has 9 aperture blades while the F has 8. The FA weighs 20gr less than the F (presumably more plastic).

But check the reviews. They are mostly 9 or 10 for both of them but there are a couple of strange ones for the FA. One review says a "Pro" is that it is sharp, and then gives it a 7 for sharpness (??) Another says "very sharp at f3.5" and then rates it an 8. I prefer to look at the images attached to a review.

09-29-2017, 01:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My FA135 was a fantastic lens. I really regret selling it before I had a chance to use it on the K-1.
I would be very surprised if the F version is truly better.
09-29-2017, 04:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Nothing scientific to add but I own the F version and have just sold the FA version, and in my opinion they are both superb lenses. I do prefer the F but I wouldn't say it is significantly better, I'd happily use either
09-29-2017, 05:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Nothing scientific to add but I own the F version and have just sold the FA version, and in my opinion they are both superb lenses. I do prefer the F but I wouldn't say it is significantly better, I'd happily use either
that's interesting... I guess you are one of the few people who had a chance to try both. Why do you prefer the F if you don't mind me asking?

---------- Post added 09-29-17 at 06:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I have the FA. I like it. Is it is good as the F? The F and FA have the same optical formula so there is no objective reason why one should be better than the other unless Pentax lowered their quality control standards. I think that is unlikely. I also doubt that there is any difference in the coatings that could explain it (if there is any difference). The FA has 9 aperture blades while the F has 8. The FA weighs 20gr less than the F (presumably more plastic).

But check the reviews. They are mostly 9 or 10 for both of them but there are a couple of strange ones for the FA. One review says a "Pro" is that it is sharp, and then gives it a 7 for sharpness (??) Another says "very sharp at f3.5" and then rates it an 8. I prefer to look at the images attached to a review.
You know, I actually forgot to check the sample database for any pictures taken with the FA. I think I was looking at it the other day looking for any FA 100 macro shots, and only found DFA 100 macro there. But since I was looking at both lenses, I think I got confused and thought there were no FA 135 samples...
09-29-2017, 06:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually forgot to check the sample database for any pictures taken with the FA.
Click the link in my previous post for some amateurish real-world sample images.
09-29-2017, 06:16 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There is no optical difference whatsoever between the F and FA 135's. Aperture blades (8 to 9) and lens barrel material are the only differences. Purple fringing is pronounced at wide apertures on APS-C digital, and probably on K-1. On APS-C it's a compact 200mm f2.8. It's a compact super-tele (with the adapter) on the Q bodies.
09-29-2017, 06:17 AM   #13
Pentaxian

that's interesting... I guess you are one of the few people who had a chance to try both. Why do you prefer the F if you don't mind me asking?
Sorry, I can't give you a good, definitive answer

The only real difference should be with the coatings, several of the F and FA lenses are the same optical design, but when I've come to decide on which lenses to sell or keep I've found that I have sold my FA 50/1.7, 50/1.4, 50/2.8, 100/2.8 135/2.8 and 300/4.5 and kept all the F series equivalents. I don't know if there were any changes to AF mechanisms between the 2 series, but several of the F series do seem to have a fast, almost violent, autofocus which can also be quite noisy.

I believe that the FA series is able to transmit more data to the digital camera bodies (MTF?) - but I don't know enough about the benefits of this to say whether it is significant in making a choice.

I think you would be equally happy with either version, although in my experience the FA's tend to come up for sale a bit more often
09-29-2017, 06:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
There is no optical difference whatsoever between the F and FA 135's. Aperture blades (8 to 9) and lens barrel material are the only differences. Purple fringing is pronounced at wide apertures on APS-C digital, and probably on K-1. On APS-C it's a compact 200mm f2.8. It's a compact super-tele (with the adapter) on the Q bodies.
PS -- Private msg me if you want to try out my copy. Mark
09-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On APS-C or 35mm format, for me, 135mm is one of those "I used it once a leap year" focal lengths I never liked. I have test bench data on the optical disaster that was the M42 SMC 135mm f/2.5 and the more current FA135mm f/2.8 - there is a drastic improvement with the FA over the K version; but the SMCP-F lens - I have no idea, I have only seen a SMCP-F135mm f/2.8 once in my life*.

* My first impression was that it wouldn't look out of place in high earth orbit, could survive re-entry, and its charred hot remnants would thoroughly ruin someones day if they were unfortunate enough to be in its path.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-29-2017 at 03:51 PM.