Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #1

pentax 100mm 2.8 AF prime from 1994 doa? Is a similar new lens same quality glass?

I tipped the tripod and down crashed apparatus. Beloved Pentax AF prime lens 100 mm 2.8 macro took the brunt. Looks fine but now focus ring is frozen. My guess is dead on arrival. Question: if I get a similar lens now--Pentax macro 100 mm prime 2.8 AF, is there any difference in the glass now. Better? Worse? Same?...this is my favorite lens and seems to bless everything it shoots...
FYI, just looking at current version of this lens and there are complaints of "significant" chromatic aberration below F4. I experience chromatic aberrations from time to time but wouldn't call it significant. Is that a default in newer versions of this lens or has it always been an issue?

Last edited by Beryllium; 09-28-2017 at 04:48 PM.
09-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Beryllium Quote
I tipped the tripod and down crashed apparatus. Beloved Pentax AF prime lens 100 mm 2.8 macro took the brunt. Looks fine but now focus ring is frozen. My guess is dead on arrival. Question: if I get a similar lens now--Pentax macro 100 mm prime 2.8 AF, is there any difference in the glass now. Better? Worse? Same?...this is my favorite lens and seems to bless everything it shoots...
FYI, just looking at current version of this lens and there are complaints of "significant" chromatic aberration below F4. I experience chromatic aberrations from time to time but wouldn't call it significant. Is that a default in newer versions of this lens or has it always been an issue?
does this help you out

" The optical design [ of the new D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR ] is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-d-fa-100mm-f28-wr-macro/specific...#ixzz4u1Olu2OL

" If you do not need the weather-sealing or if you want to use a wider range of close-up accessories you could instead try to hunt down one of the earlier Pentax macros. . . "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-d-fa-100mm-f28-wr-macro/conclusi...#ixzz4u1PUZFxr

I have not tried the FA 100 mm F2.8 or the F 100 2.8 macro but I do like my D FA 100 mm Macro

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-28-2017 at 05:13 PM.