Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2017, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Having had, or have DA 55-300 (SMC but not DAL), HD 55-300 WR and 33-300 PLM here are my thoughts.
1. You need to be sure your camera body is compatible with the new PLM lens. I have K-3 with latest firmware. Edit, I see you have K-3 and it's compatible.
2. Optically the PLM is better. Not a huge difference but it is sharper.
3. The PLM is slower aperture but it does not go to f 6.3 unless you zoom all the way out. I typically stop at about 280 mm where it is still f5.8. This is actually easier than it sounds to do and there is very little difference between 280mm and 300mm
4. Autofocus is day and night better with the PLM as you likely figured out from the responses. Even knowing this, I was shocked at how much faster and quieter it is. It is noticeably quieter and faster than SDM and DC autofocus lenses as well.
5. If you decide on one of the screwdrive versions, I would avoid the DAL version, which gives up quick shift. When I used the screwdrive versions, I did a quick coarse focus manually using quick shift and let autofocus finish the final focus. This helps with both noise and speed.
My final thought, if you have a compatible body, it is a no brainer to me to go for the PLM, besides the autofocus it is better built and more compact (when retracted) than the older versions.

09-30-2017, 12:49 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
How does the D FA 150-450 compare to the new PLM for focusing speed? I have both a K3II and K1 - use the old 55-300 on both, and just crop as needed on the K1 - been wondering how the PLM version compares on focus speed to the 150-450, which I own too, but would like something more manageable for walking about and have a thing for chasing birds, so suddenly looking at the PLM and wondering about focus speed compared to the original 55-300 and the 150-450, especially on the K1.
The camera you have will obviously influence the focusing speed but on my K-3 the PLM 55-300 is MUCH faster then the previous versions. Seems to focus much more smoothly too and is super silent which sometimes makes you wonder if its working!
09-30-2017, 06:24 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leonardotmnt Quote
Most games are in the middle of the afternoon so I generally have enough light. I'm using AF-C with Sel 2 and Continuous shooting on High. I try to use around 1/1250 between f 5.6-10 and let the ISO float in TAv.
For options I use Focus Priority for 1st Frame, Focus-priority for Action in AF.C Continuous, with Medium Hold AF Status. I also use back button focusing.
Sometimes they'll be out of focus coming toward me and other times running side to side. I also have issues with sharpness but I think some of them are related to lower apertures at long focal distances.
And yes, I forgot to mention originally that I have a K-3.

Well, I'd say you are basically on the right track then. Perhaps the 55-300 PLM might give you just the boost you need (or at least most of it)...

In my own case, the 55-300 PLM was definitely a useful upgrade over the previous HD version (even though ~none~ of the 55-300's can perform miracles).
09-30-2017, 07:53 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Are there any other lenses I should consider? I definitely can't afford the 150-450 and the 300 might be too limiting being a prime because sometimes the action does come closer. Would any lenses be substantially better than the PLM and under $1,000? I know there's the bigma but it's also very heavy. Is anything else worth considering that's a sharp zoom with at least 300mm reach for under $1,000 used?

09-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I am seriously considering a PLM even though I have Tamron 300 2.8 and DA*60-250 (screw drive and SDM) just for the AF speed and relatively light weight. But the Tanron 300 2.8 is also very fast focusing, and so few were made I doubt anyone has both to tell me if the PLM lens is faster focusing than the 300 2.8.

I keep looking at the PLM lens as a lightweight telephoto for canoe trips and hikes. The fact it doesn't work on my wife's K-5 is a definite draw aback. I Like to buy lenses we can both use.

Last edited by normhead; 10-01-2017 at 06:19 AM.
09-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #21
Forum Member

Are you shooting hand held or on a monopod? That can impact the long end. I shoot the 60-250 for my son's soccer games and its focus speed is a little wanting but when focus is on it looks great. WR is a must for soccer. My son is U-19 and I can say that in the future you will want as fast a lens as you can get as they play under lights at night. I first used the 50-135 and it did ok but needed better reach. I added a 1.4TC but never had great results so graduated to 60-250 and found it to be my best combination so far.
09-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidDwight Quote
Are you shooting hand held or on a monopod? That can impact the long end. I shoot the 60-250 for my son's soccer games and its focus speed is a little wanting but when focus is on it looks great. WR is a must for soccer. My son is U-19 and I can say that in the future you will want as fast a lens as you can get as they play under lights at night. I first used the 50-135 and it did ok but needed better reach. I added a 1.4TC but never had great results so graduated to 60-250 and found it to be my best combination so far.
Have you used the 55-300 PLM.

09-30-2017, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I am seriously considering a PLM even though I have Tamron 300 2.8 and DA*60-250 (screw drive and SDM) just for the AF speed and relatively light weight. But the Tanrob 300 2.8 is also very fast focusing, and so few were made I doubt anyone has both to tell me if the PLM lens is faster focusing than the 300 2.8.

I keep looking at the PLM lens as a lightweight telephoto for canoe trips and hikes. The fact it doesn't work on my wife's K-5 is a definite draw aback. I Like to buy lenses we can both use.
I have a DA* 200 and the 55-300 PLM. The PLM at 200 mm is much faster focusing than the DA* 200. As you noted the one drawback is that I cannot use it on my K-5. I use the 55-300 PLM on outings in good daylight on my K-3 and use my DA*200, with or without the 1.4 TC on outings where the lighting is not good and on my K-5. One other possible drawback to the 55-300 PLM is compatibility with the 1.4x TC. I tried it once on a very overcast day and although the autofocus performance was not impacted at all, the lens was at maximum aperture all of the time and I was able to get just as good performance by cropping pictures without using the TC. Perhaps it would be better if I tried it in good sunny daylight conditions.

---------- Post added 09-30-17 at 08:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
One thing I will throw out there is that the PLM version of the lens can not be serviced in the US. It has to be sent overseas for repair. If it breaks under warranty you'll have to wait at least 3 weeks for it to get back. Precision received my broken lens September 5th and it was just shipped back to me as of yesterday.
Based on my experience, that's not bad. I had two repairs on Pentax lenses.
1. Sent my DA 70 limited to Eric for sluggish aperture blades and it took 6 weeks. Lens was repaired to my satisfaction
2. Sent my HD DA 40 Limited to Precision for repair under extended New Leaf warranty. Lens was repaired to my satisfaction but it took two months!

Last edited by jddwoods; 09-30-2017 at 05:55 PM.
09-30-2017, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #24
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
One other possible drawback to the 55-300 PLM is compatibility with the 1.4x TC. I tried it once on a very overcast day and although the autofocus performance was not impacted at all, the lens was at maximum aperture all of the time and I was able to get just as good performance by cropping pictures without using the TC. Perhaps it would be better if I tried it in good sunny daylight conditions.
Of course any lens with a maximum aperture of f5.6 or f6.3 is only going to work with a 1.4x TC in good light, because it's effectively f8 or f9. But it's interesting that at least the AF performance wasn't affected when you tried it. I tried mine with my Kenko TC, which has pz contacts, and while the AF wasn't as fast as without the TC, it was still faster than any lens with any screw-driven or DC AF that I've tried. I think this is actually another point in favour of the PLM over the screw-driven 55-300s, for those who have either the DA 1.4x TC or the Tamron or Kenko ones with pz contacts.

This is not a substitute for a 300mm f4/f4.5 + TC (let alone a 300mm f2.8 + TC) of course, but it's another string to the bow.

Last edited by Des; 09-30-2017 at 07:48 PM.
10-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Of course any lens with a maximum aperture of f5.6 or f6.3 is only going to work with a 1.4x TC in good light, because it's effectively f8 or f9. But it's interesting that at least the AF performance wasn't affected when you tried it. I tried mine with my Kenko TC, which has pz contacts, and while the AF wasn't as fast as without the TC, it was still faster than any lens with any screw-driven or DC AF that I've tried. I think this is actually another point in favour of the PLM over the screw-driven 55-300s, for those who have either the DA 1.4x TC or the Tamron or Kenko ones with pz contacts.

This is not a substitute for a 300mm f4/f4.5 + TC (let alone a 300mm f2.8 + TC) of course, but it's another string to the bow.
You are correct, and in line with what is my ultimate goal which is trade up my DA* 200 for the DA* 300. The DA* 300 with the HD DA 1.4 TC gives 420mm which for me will be a nice complement to the 55-300 PLM whereas the DA* 200 with the TC gives 280 mm f4.0 which is an overlap with the PLM which is f5.6 at 280 mm. Until I am financially able to pull this off, I will give another try with PLM and the TC in good sunny weather since I already have both. What I noticed using the PLM with the TC is that images looked OK, but did not hold sharpness under any cropping.
I would be curious to hear from anyone else who has tried the PLM & TC combination.
10-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #26
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There would be a lot of people in this position. It's great shame Ricoh haven't released a firmware update for the K-5 series to allow this, as they have with the K-50. The flagship models deserve better.

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I would be curious to hear from anyone else who has tried the PLM & TC combination.
If I do I'll post some samples. The TC I have is pretty good and doesn't degrade image quality much on the wonderful FA*300. I'll try it sometime over our summer with the PLM, when I'm just carrying the zoom.
10-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm still debating the PLM lens for now. After reading the review on this site it seems to have some issues tracking? Would this apply to soccer players as well or just extremely fast animals? Ideally I think I'd like the Sigma 100-300 f4 but they seem to be significantly more expensive and hard to find.
10-03-2017, 01:41 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Based on my own experience (airplanes and soccer) I wouldn't hesitate buying the PLM lens again. I'm very pleased and surprised how well it actually performs compared to what I've read about the Pentax' lack of tracking and focusing on moving objects.
10-03-2017, 04:25 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks DrawsACirlce, that helps a lot. The last thing I'd want to do is spend the money to get the new version and have it focus quickly but inaccurately!
10-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leonardotmnt Quote
Thanks DrawsACirlce, that helps a lot. The last thing I'd want to do is spend the money to get the new version and have it focus quickly but inaccurately!
Buy it from B&H, and you shouldn't have a problem if it doesn't work to your satisfaction, and you want to return it. Worst case is you might be out return shipping, but if totally dissatisfied, they might cover that too - would need to ask perhaps.