Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Worth upgrading 55-300 WR for PLM version for soccer?

I've been using the 55-300 WR for my son's U10 soccer games. I get fairly inconsistent results but I'm not sure how much is me and how much is the lens. I get some pretty sharp shots at lower focal ranges but toward 300 mm they're not as sharp. I also have a lot out of focus. I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to upgrade to the new PLM model for faster focusing. I'd like better image quality as well but there don't seem to be many long lenses for Pentax at a reasonable price range that focus quickly. Even if I could afford the 300 I think it might be too long for a lot of shots. So, worth considering the upgrade to PLM or is the focusing alone not enough to bite? Thanks in advance.

09-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The PLM is extremely fast to focus. If that's what's holding you back, then definitely upgrade IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leonardotmnt Quote
I've been using the 55-300 WR for my son's U10 soccer games. I get fairly inconsistent results but I'm not sure how much is me and how much is the lens. I get some pretty sharp shots at lower focal ranges but toward 300 mm they're not as sharp. I also have a lot out of focus. I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to upgrade to the new PLM model for faster focusing. I'd like better image quality as well but there don't seem to be many long lenses for Pentax at a reasonable price range that focus quickly. Even if I could afford the 300 I think it might be too long for a lot of shots. So, worth considering the upgrade to PLM or is the focusing alone not enough to bite? Thanks in advance.
I would consider renting that lens and do your own try out

LensRental out of Tennessee is a company I have used

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

there are others
09-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't see the option to rent this lens on lensrentals. Anyone know of a place to do so?

09-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

sorry about that, I didn't check the web site first

you might want to call them tomorrow and just check

the only other company I know about is BorrowLenses

Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax

I didn't see it there either tho
09-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
worth considering the upgrade to PLM or is the focusing alone not enough to bite?
I've got the DA-L version (optically the same as the DA WR screw-drive version, except it lacks the newer coatings) and the PLM. There isn't much between them in resolution and IQ; at f8 they are hard to split. The screw-drive version is one-third stop faster (f5.8 v f6.3 at 300), but since you can get f5.6 on the PLM at about 280mm the practical difference is minimal. But, to answer your question, yes the PLM is worth it for focus speed alone. It's amazingly quiet and fast-focusing.

I guess the other contenders would be the DA*60-250 f4, or one of the 70-200 f2.8 - with the advantage of an extra stop or two - but each is much more expensive and considerably heavier.

Last edited by Des; 09-29-2017 at 12:39 AM.
09-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I own the PLM and had the DAL version for a while. There is a noticeable difference in sharpness and better control of CAs.

09-28-2017, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

1. You wonder if it is you or your current 55-300 that is causing your frustration. It might be the lens (possibly), but it also might be how you are setting up you cam body or how you are using it. Have you checked out some of the threads discussing AF? E.g. --

Perfect focus everytime - PentaxForums.com

A case for the supremacy of Pentax AF - PentaxForums.com

Best autofocus mode to use with high-speed continuous shooting? - PentaxForums.com

[etc.] Perhaps you are well educated and quite experienced with nuances of AF (I can't tell from your post), or perhaps not. Perhaps you could describe more about what cam body you are using and what settings and techniques (etc.) you are specifically trying to employ...

2. Are your worst results on players moving towards or away from you? (I hate to say so, but...) Pentax AF is not at its best in "predictive" AF situations (check out the second video at HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews).

3. Do you have enough light during games for the relatively slow 55-300/4-5.8 to be able to succeed? (The newer 55-300 PLM is even a bit slower at f/4.5-f/6.3.)

4. Despite all of the above, I myself do strongly recommend the newer 55-300 PLM -- it is (I think) just a wee bit sharper at the long end than its predecessors, and it is markedly faster (check out the first video at HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews) and maybe a bit more accurate in its AF ability (as long as it "sees" reasonable amounts of light). I have used mine (on a K-3) for both kids' outdoor soccer and indoor basketball games with generally pretty good results (no, not 100% keepers, but not all that many throwaways either).
09-29-2017, 12:34 AM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blucoala Quote
I own the PLM and had the DAL version for a while. There is a noticeable difference in sharpness and better control of CAs.
Not my experience. Sure the coatings are better on the PLM (although probably the same as those on the WR version of the screw-driven one), and I think it has more pleasant bokeh, and it's a little better wide open, but if someone buys it expecting a leap in sharpness when stopped down a stop or two, they may be disappointed. That's not a criticism - either has very good sharpness, and control of CAs, for a consumer zoom. (I won't divert the discussion with samples - a search will illustrate the point.) And the PLM's other advantages - including compactness when folded, fast and silent AF - make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited by Des; 09-29-2017 at 12:44 AM.
09-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

One thing I will throw out there is that the PLM version of the lens can not be serviced in the US. It has to be sent overseas for repair. If it breaks under warranty you'll have to wait at least 3 weeks for it to get back. Precision received my broken lens September 5th and it was just shipped back to me as of yesterday.
09-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't know about the older 55-300mm Pentax lenses, but I'm the happy owner of the 55-300PLM lens
I also have a son who's a goalkeeper, and enjoy flying RC planes - check some of my photos taken with the 55-300 PLM lens:

Some saves: Football (Soccer) | Flickr
Some RC airplanes: Brians trailer | Flickr
And some more: RC Activities | Flickr
Some full size airplanes: Airplanes | Flickr

I wouldn't hesitate at all!
09-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Short answer, YES!

I have had both the the non WR version and now the PLM. They are like night and day. The focusing is super fast and that is exactly what you need for sports. Yes, it is a bit slower at the long end but that is is what higher ISO is for. Bump up the ISO to keep your shutter speeds at a reasonably high level. I also like the compact size.
09-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #13

While the DA*60-250 is optically better than the 55-300's, its focus speed is not known to be fast. It's probably one of the slowest focusing lenses I've known.

I presume your camera is compatible with the PLM version. Of all the lenses made by Pentax, it has least compatible bodies.

Edit. I see you have a K3 which is compatible....
09-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How does the D FA 150-450 compare to the new PLM for focusing speed? I have both a K3II and K1 - use the old 55-300 on both, and just crop as needed on the K1 - been wondering how the PLM version compares on focus speed to the 150-450, which I own too, but would like something more manageable for walking about and have a thing for chasing birds, so suddenly looking at the PLM and wondering about focus speed compared to the original 55-300 and the 150-450, especially on the K1.
09-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Most games are in the middle of the afternoon so I generally have enough light. I'm using AF-C with Sel 2 and Continuous shooting on High. I try to use around 1/1250 between f 5.6-10 and let the ISO float in TAv.
For options I use Focus Priority for 1st Frame, Focus-priority for Action in AF.C Continuous, with Medium Hold AF Status. I also use back button focusing.

Sometimes they'll be out of focus coming toward me and other times running side to side. I also have issues with sharpness but I think some of them are related to lower apertures at long focal distances.

And yes, I forgot to mention originally that I have a K-3.